Titan Submersible Vessel

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Kriselda Gray »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:55 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:16 am
Off Topic
keith wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:07 pm Whats with the SS lightning bolts?
What John said, and another possibility is that WWII was so long ago, people forget. Not everyone, but more and more people born every day who never learn about it.

I try to inspire Numbah One Son to read history. He has no desire. The tech in WWII was so primitive! Or something. I dunno. :shrug:

But he wouldn't recognize SS lightning bolts. :blackeye:
Off Topic
I would argue any person of any age should as many of the Nazi symbols are still used as tattoos. I'd want to know if someone's ink means they're likely a Nazi/white supremacist/whatever.
When using the ADL Database to identify possible hate symbols, be sure to watch for comments like:
Because the (name of symbol) also continues to be used by non-racists, typically adherents of neo-pagan religions, one should not simply assume that a particular use of this symbol is racist, but should carefully judge it in its context.
Heathens use many of those symbols as part of our religious identity and we can't afford to just give them up if a Nazi or white supremacist decides to use them, too.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

when you lose your company founder and CEO
OceanGate suspends operations after Titan submersible implosion
Organization will no longer send individuals down to Titanic wreckage or elsewhere after five killed on sub
Jenna Amatulli
Thu 6 Jul 2023 19.43 BST

Nearly three weeks after its submersible vessel Titan imploded, killing all five people on board, OceanGate is suspending all exploration and commercial operations.

The organization posted on its website on Thursday that it would no longer be sending individuals down to the wreckage of the Titanic, or elsewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ubmersible
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Reality Check »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:55 am when you lose your company founder and CEO
OceanGate suspends operations after Titan submersible implosion
Organization will no longer send individuals down to Titanic wreckage or elsewhere after five killed on sub
:snippity:
I would imagine ticket sales have not been exactly booming lately. :roll:
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

I hear they are also looking for a new CEO, someone who has demonstrated an ability to deliver under extreme pressure.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

:rimshot:
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

Snopes has concluded with considerable evidence that the transcript is a fake.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/titan-sub-transcript/
Was the Titan Sub's Text Message 'Transcript' or 'Log' Released?
Social media users appeared to be taking the viral "log" at face value, despite there being no evidence of its authenticity.

Claim:
A transcript shared online documents the final text message communications from the Titan submersible.
Rating:
False

About this rating

In early July 2023, TikTok and YouTube users published videos promoting what they referred to as a "transcript" or "log" of the final text message communications from OceanGate Expeditions' Titan submersible.

On the morning of June 18, the Titan (which technically was a submersible and not a submarine) lost communication with the Canadian research icebreaker Polar Prince shortly after beginning its descent to explore the wreckage of the Titanic. Five passengers, including OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, were on board when the sub apparently imploded on the same morning, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

When this article was first published (archived), our findings were inconclusive. Initially, we were not able to determine if the transcript was real or fake. As such, we rated the claim as "Unproven." However, on July 12, we updated the rating to "False," thanks to new insight sent to us from "CBS This Morning" correspondent David Pogue, who had spent time documenting the OceanGate crew and the Titan in July 2022. Pogue's detailed message to us appears near the end of this story and contains key insight regarding this matter.

In what follows, we'll detail everything we know about this subject, including a picture of the Titan's laminated short codes, video of what text message communications looked like on the screen inside the Titan, Pogue's credentialed thoughts on the rumor, as well as the discredited transcript itself. We'll also lay out how thoughts from film director James Cameron aligned with what appeared in the messages that were being shared online.
Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

I like this guy's YouTube channel, he has lots of very interesting videos about disasters involving sea going vessels, oil platforms, saturation diving, etc. His video about the Kursk is really good. Also, his video about the Titan submersible is one of the best, IMO. Here is the link to his video about the Titan, which covers the entire history of the vessel from it's conception to the final disaster.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

US Coast Guard recovers remaining parts from imploded Titan submersible
Titan imploded as it made its descent into North Atlantic ocean to explore the wreck of the Titanic on 18 June

Associated Press
Tue 10 Oct 2023 23.08 CEST

The US Coast Guard has recovered remaining debris from a submersible that imploded on its way to explore the wreck of the Titanic, killing all five onboard, deep beneath the Atlantic Ocean’s surface, officials said Tuesday.

The salvage mission conducted under an agreement with the US navy was a follow-up to initial recovery operations on the ocean floor roughly 1,600ft (488 meters) away from the Titanic, the Coast Guard said. It said on Tuesday that the recovery and transfer of remaining parts was completed last Wednesday, and a photo showed the intact aft portion of the 22-ft (6.7-meter) vessel.

Investigators believe the Titan imploded as it made its descent into deep North Atlantic waters on 18 June.

The multiday search mounted after Titan went silent captured attention around the world. The submersible was attempting to view the British passenger liner that sank in 1912.

The Coast Guard previously said it recovered presumed human remains along with parts of the Titan after the debris field was located at a depth of 12,500 feet (3,800 meters).

The materials were offloaded at an unnamed port. The Coast Guard’s marine board of investigation is continuing its analysis and conducting witness interviews ahead of a public hearing on the tragedy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ning-parts
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

the making of fish fodder

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:shock: I hope they didn’t feel anything. I didn’t understand the “150 m pain response” text.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:34 am :shock: I hope they didn’t feel anything. I didn’t understand the “150 m pain response” text.
150ms milliseconds for the pain receptor signal to travel from that point to the brain to be processed, the implosion did only take 20 milliseconds according to this simulation. No person in the sub would have registered the event occuring.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Titan Submersible Vessel

Thank you!!!!!! I love the vids you post!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for the video and explanation.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by neonzx »

Yep, it happened super fast. It was in milliseconds. They did not suffer -- they were just dead.
Sam the Centipede

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Off Topic
neonzx wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:07 pm Yep, it happened super fast. It was in milliseconds. They did not suffer -- they were just dead.
Perhaps I am weird or inhumane: obviously I don't want people to suffer, but for most humans and all prey animals there will be suffering at the end, probably pain, perhaps terror. How would it matter if these victims had some few seconds of pain? It's not going to ruin their lives or have any consequences, because they're dead.

As I said, I am NOT uncaring, I just can't relate to worrying about very brief periods of pain with no dependent consequences. The important issue is that these people died, whether it involved a second or two of pain and/or terror or not, meh, that seems (to me) insignificant. I expect my own death to be unpleasant, if it is not, that's an unforeseen blessing.

I await chastisement for my horrible views!
MN-Skeptic

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My husband died six years ago from a sudden, unexpected heart attack. I was very concerned that, even though it was so quick, that he had suffered. At his funeral I had a chance to talk to a friend's husband who had also suffered a sudden, unexpected heart attack. The difference for him? He was attending a conference of police and fire fighters. He got immediate attention. I asked if he had suffered, if he had remembered the pain. He told me that he didn't remember any of that. It was so quick, his brain didn't have a chance to register what was happening. He just lost consciousness. I have no way of knowing if that was how it was for my husband, but I sincerely hope that death from catastrophic events happen before the brain has a chance to realize the associated pain.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Titan Submersible Vessel

:yeahthat: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes, when my husband was in ICU on the ventilator, they assured us he was in no pain through almost all of it. I'm still never sure, as at one point at the end, they were giving him morphine, in addition to the other pain meds he had going, because he looked uncomfortable. At that point, though, they had been saying that any movements we saw were completely involuntary and not based on anything he was feeling. But I sometimes wonder. All in all, though, he went very quickly at the end, so there's that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by pipistrelle »

To me the video looks like they were pretty much pulverized instantly. If I were a family member, what would haunt me is wondering if they felt, saw, or heard anything that showed that something catastrophic was about to happen. It wouldn't be the physical pain of death, but the agony of knowing unavoidable death was moments away.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:03 pm To me the video looks like they were pretty much pulverized instantly. If I were a family member, what would haunt me is wondering if they felt, saw, or heard anything that showed that something catastrophic was about to happen. It wouldn't be the physical pain of death, but the agony of knowing unavoidable death was moments away.
It would have been instantaneous (not 1-2 seconds as another poster suggested). I am also pretty certain they heard the sound of the hull integrity collapsing prior so there would have been fear.

Sucks and this will be studied for years on what not to do.
Mrich

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Mrich »

I just noticed that ABC is having a special "Truth and Lies - Fatal Dive to the Titanic" TODAY (Thursday 2/8) at 8-10pm Eastern time. If you miss it, they might show it on Hulu
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by raison de arizona »

Mrich wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:23 pm I just noticed that ABC is having a special "Truth and Lies - Fatal Dive to the Titanic" TODAY (Thursday 2/8) at 8-10pm Eastern time. If you miss it, they might show it on Hulu
tanks for the heads up, will try to catch it
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Science”