Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I wonder that too. I think it is delusional for these judges to not include themselves in the various gag orders. That might have been fine in sane times, but MAGA has burned that bridge.

I want to know the number of MAGA flying monkeys out there who rise to fuckhead's bait; the ones that make the threats, sent the emails and phone calls. And the ones who will actually become violent. I want to know who they are.

Fuckhead's entire campaign* at this point is a series of threats and promises of imprisonment if he gets into office.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

One thing for Merchan to do is prohibit Trump from bringing a phone into the courthouse. He could also prohibit "press conferences" in the courthouse or on courthouse property. He could suspend a jail sentence and if Trump violates it an automatic arrest warrant issues and he must serve the full time.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Well, monkeys could fly out of Merchan's butt as well, but that too is highly unlikely.

Which is really unfortunate.

Because, what a sight!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Hey, I just saw tfg has rallies scheduled for Wednesday, when Judge Merchan will supposedly hold a hearing on the Manhattan DA's third set of alleged gag order violations. Over under on Merchan moving his hearing to accommodate tfg?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I would be shocked.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pmI think it is delusional for these judges to not include themselves in the various gag orders.
I assume there are constitutional and policy considerations at play. Not that judges believe they are immune, but feel constrained when they are the subject of a litigant's ire.
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm Hey, I just saw tfg has rallies scheduled for Wednesday, when Judge Merchan will supposedly hold a hearing on the Manhattan DA's third set of alleged gag order violations. Over under on Merchan moving his hearing to accommodate tfg?
I know he has to be there for the criminal trial proceedings, but does he have to be there for hearings like this?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm Hey, I just saw tfg has rallies scheduled for Wednesday, when Judge Merchan will supposedly hold a hearing on the Manhattan DA's third set of alleged gag order violations. Over under on Merchan moving his hearing to accommodate tfg?
I know he has to be there for the criminal trial proceedings, but does he have to be there for hearings like this?
I will presume yes because it is presumably part of or at least adjacent to his criminal trial.

It isn't as if the criminal court spun off a separate civil proceeding.
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

He is facing criminal contempt of court

Just as he is required to be there for his criminal case, I would expect that he would be required to be there for this.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A link to that order - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ause-filed
At the very top of that order it states: "WARNING: YOUR FAILURE TO APPEAR IN COURT MAY RESULT IN YOUR IMMEDIATE ARREST AND IMPRISONMENT FOR CONTEMPT OF COURT"

:lol: :thumbsup:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

He will whine that the consequences of his bad acts are instead election interference by the court.
raison de arizona

I may be in the minority here, but I'll bet ONE DOLLAR that Merchan changes the date/time to accommodate tfg's schedule.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm
p0rtia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pmI think it is delusional for these judges to not include themselves in the various gag orders.
I assume there are constitutional and policy considerations at play. Not that judges believe they are immune, but feel constrained when they are the subject of a litigant's ire.
Thanks, Bob. :bighug: I've heard one or two talking heads say that there are no (state) constitutional considerations--that's is just convention--but that's not anywhere near gospel.

I get that the judges feel constrained; I just think that needs to change, whether it's a policy or convention. This is a strange new world.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:36 pm
bob wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm
Thanks, Bob. :bighug: I've heard one or two talking heads say that there are no (state) constitutional considerations--that's is just convention--but that's not anywhere near gospel.

I get that the judges feel constrained; I just think that needs to change, whether it's a policy or convention. This is a strange new world.
IANAL, but I would hazard a guess that judges are reluctant to include themselves in gag orders preventing a party from threatening or harassing witnesses, families, staff or other parties, in part because the judge has some power to protect him/herself from such attacks. They have the power to issue further orders, contempt citations, sanctions and bench warrants. The witnesses, families and staff do not have these powers and would be subjected to the abuse heaped on them by the subject of the gag order. So, I think that maybe there is an element of the judge saying, in effect, "I can take care of myself, but I will issue this gag order to protect those who can't".

The judges also don't want to appear to be biased against the party to the litigation, by trying to "silence" the party receiving the gag. By leaving themselves out of the order, they try to avoid the appearance that they are taking the statements personally and taking sides against one of the parties.
raison de arizona

:bored: who could have possibly predicted that Merchan would move the hearing to accommodate tfg’s schedule?
https://x.com/klasfeldreports/status/17 ... 4694904955
Adam Klasfeld @KlasfeldReports wrote: "All rise."

Justice Juan Merchan enters the courtroom and goes to the bench.

He announces that the next hearing on the latest alleged gag order violations has been rescheduled for Thursday.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bag:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Did Trump's lawyers request that the hearing be rescheduled?

The judge has a full schedule on Wednesdays, hearing proceedings in the NYC Mental Health Court and catching up on work from the many other cases on his docket. I wouldn't assume that the change was made to accommodate Trump without some evidence of a request by Trump's counsel

And in light of the schedule announced by the judge, with Wednesdays generally off, I would view accommodating such a request as routine rather than special treatment.
realist

Post by realist »

chancery wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 am Did Trump's lawyers request that the hearing be rescheduled?

The judge has a full schedule on Wednesdays, hearing proceedings in the NYC Mental Health Court and catching up on work from the many other cases on his docket. I wouldn't assume that the change was made to accommodate Trump without some evidence of a request by Trump's counsel

And in light of the schedule announced by the judge, with Wednesdays generally off, I would view accommodating such a request as routine rather than special treatment.
:yeahthat:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I think Justice Merchan indicated a while back there would be no court sessions on Wednesday so I can see him accommodating OSG’s schedule and not read much into it.
raison de arizona

Yeah, I’m sure Merchan just forgot he was already busy when he originally scheduled it for Wednesday.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Geesh. As if it never happens that a Judge thinks he can squeeze one more hearing into a busy day and then other urgent matters make that impossible. :nope:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Talking Points Memo's Josh Kovensky is live blogging the trial.

I haven't seen him quoted on twitter, but I thought his comments yesterday on the first day of Emile Bove's cross of Pecker were extremely perceptive, the best I've seen so far.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog ... al-resumes

You may have to scroll down a bit.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Josh Kovensky is back at the courthouse in Lower Manhattan this morning and, while we likely won’t have a liveblog today, you can expect some longer dispatches from him as the proceedings move forward, identifying big themes in the trial as well as bringing us breaking news.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I thought that was a great redirect of Pecker. Seinglass had to take on Bove's questioning of Pecker that these payoffs were routine and had happened hundreds of times before. Steinglass got Pecker to explain how these were unique and actually cost AMI magazine sales because these stories would have been "National Enquirer Gold".
raison de arizona

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1783905169672990851
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1 wrote: Breaking:

David Pecker, under redirect from prosecutors, confirms under oath that he bought Karen McDougal's story as part of a scheme to influence the 2016 election.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”