Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I love happy endings! :fiesta:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I've been watching this play out today on Twitter. In my opinion, Dr. Peter J. Hotez is a genuine hero in the Covid vaccine world.

See the Forbes article - Vaccine Scientist Peter Hotez Says He Was 'Stalked' After Billionaires—And Joe Rogan—Urge Him To Debate RFK Jr.
An ongoing Twitter debate over vaccine misinformation between podcaster Joe Rogan and scientist Peter Hotez has led a number of individuals—including billionaires Bill Ackman and Elon Musk—to urge Hotez to debate anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr., in an online spat that purportedly led anti-vaxxers to show up at Hotez’s home to “stalk” him.

The conflict started Saturday, after Hotez tweeted a Vice article that was critical of an interview Rogan did with Kennedy on his podcast The Joe Rogan Experience, in which Kennedy presented false claims about vaccines—including links to autism that most experts have discredited—which Hotez described as “nonsense.”

Rogan responded to Hotez’s criticism by inviting the vaccine scientist onto his podcast to debate Kennedy and pledging $100,000 to charity if Hotez agreed.

Billionaire Bill Ackman then pledged an additional $150,000 if Hotez agreed to the debate, which led to other public figures and vaccine skeptics to make similar pledges, bringing the total charitable pledges up to at least $600,000.

Hotez—who has previously appeared on Rogan’s show—agreed to go on Rogan’s podcast “to clear the air,” but in separate tweets Hotez said he wanted to discuss getting more people vaccines and vaccine misinformation—an offer that Rogan didn’t see as a response to his request for Hotez to debate Kennedy.

The scientist has also retweeted several people who chided the idea of debating Kennedy, including one who called the suggestion “absurd” since Kennedy—who is well-known for his vaccine skepticism—is a “crank.”

Hotez told his Twitter followers Sunday that the Houston resident “was stalked in front of my home by a couple of antivaxers taunting me to debate RFKJr”—less than 24 hours after the initial Twitter argument began.

Minutes later, a Twitter personality posted a video that appeared to show himself and another person shouting questions at Hotez outside a home, asking why Hotez wasn’t going to debate Kennedy and if the vaccine scientist believes “vaccine injuries” are real (it’s unclear whether the video corresponds to the incident Hotez mentioned).

Twitter owner Elon Musk was also among the choir of people defending Rogan’s request on Twitter. At one point, Musk suggested Hotez “hates charity” in an attempt to push Hotez to agree to Rogan’s terms.
A bit more at the link.

I really liked what Mehdi Hasan had to say -

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Back when Covid was new and I still lived just east of Houston, Dr. Peter J. Hotez was on the TV news frequently. He's worth 10x10 RFK JRs.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

It's one of those pig-wrestling issues, isn't it? Scientists generally know that there's almost no value in getting into "debates" with anti-science folk, be they anti-vaxers, creationists, climate deniers, whatever. The nutters' fans take it as validation that their hero is engaging with and defeating the enemy. Defeating? Yes, because they don't listen to the science, only to their hero's exposition of their talking points.

People make decisions emotionally, rarely rationally. Nutters' are too heavily invested emotionally to hear rational argument.
bob

Post by bob »

:thumbsup:
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Yup, here we go again.

I had to fly down to Florida for doctor's appointments, and one of the doctors said COVID is running rampant there. But DeSantis isn't providing information and it's gotten virtually no coverage.

Antivaxxers are already going wild, a few places like a college and airline are reinstating policies and they are going NUTS.

Last time, 39% more Republicans died of COVID. I did my best to try and convince them to mask up and get vaxxed. This time, fu*k them, let them die of COVID if their confirmation bias makes them keep taking horse dewormer. Sorry but not going to get hollered at again. https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/ isn't be updated, but it's a reminder of how horrible it was.

Turns out, substantially more Republicans died of COVID. There are studies on it. So go for it, GOP, kill more of your voters.
During the first 22 months of the COVID-19 pandemic, the overall excess death rate of Republican voters was 15% higher than that of Democrats, according to a study published in JAMA Network Open. The gap widened further after COVID-19 vaccines were introduced.2 In the second year of the pandemic, Republicans were 39% more likely to die with COVID-19, even after adjusting for the fact that they tend to be older than Democrats. Independent voters, who belong to no political party, were also 30% more likely to die than Democrats during the pandemic’s second year. At least 534 San Diego Republicans died in year two of the pandemic.0 The National Bureau of Economic Research also reported that more Republicans than Democrats died after COVID-19 vaccines were available.
1 voiceofsandiego.org 0 favicon nber.org 1 favicon cidrap.umn.edu 2

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

2 cases this week at the rehab my mom is in.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Off Topic
That explains why Kraptain Karl's AMFF Armada hasn't landed yet: the Kraptain understands the situation and is waiting for this wave to kill off more people before he comes in and restores constipational gubmibt.
But srsly, while I haven't been following developments closely recently, I have seen reports of more variants creeping into various countries and increasing infection rates, and people are obviously more relaxed now, but not necessarily as immune as they were during the last wave. Also, I think some countries, perhaps many, have reduced their surveillance programs, so are not necessarily aware of the details of the current infections.

It could be a messy winter in the northern hemisphere.

I share the "well, f*** 'em" attitude to those who choose not to accept vaccinations, but their anti-social attitude leads to higher general infection levels, which also endangers those who are immuno-compromised or cannot be vaccinated for other reasons. And, of course, those for whom the vaccination isn't very effective.
bob

Post by bob »

There's a surge in my immediate community as well.

And speculation of (1) a new strain that (2) the current rapid tests can't detect.

If true, hopefully the next round of boosters (and tests) will address this.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think a new vaccine is going to be available around the end of September. I'm going for it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Wore my mask on the Bus today. My sister went positive this week but she's fine.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My son and I came back sick from Alaska, but negative for COVID-19. My daughter came home from Amsterdam, same day, also sick, also negative for COVID-19. Actually, we got sick a day or two after we got back, absolutely identical symptoms. When we had it a year ago, we were all sick differently.

From what I had been reading, I had been expecting to hear a lot of hacking on the planes and cruise. If many people were sick, they were hiding it well. But I had friends who came back recently from an Alaskan cruise, and two of them came back positive. Toss up, I guess, but definitely creeping up.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Dammit!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Coronavirus Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaccers, Etc.

Post by Greatgrey »

Well Lora fucked around & found out. Judge Kindred (Trump appointee) kicked her suit out WITH PREJUDICE. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 5.59.0.pdf

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:19 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:48 pm https://www.adn.com/politics/alaska-leg ... sk-policy/

JUNEAU — Alaska Airlines said Saturday that it has banned state Sen. Lora Reinbold, R-Eagle River, from its flights for continuing to refuse to follow mask-wearing requirements for travelers.

“We have notified Senator Lora Reinbold that she is not permitted to fly with us for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” spokesman Tim Thompson said by email.

“This suspension is effective immediately, pending further review. Federal law requires all guests to wear a mask over their nose and mouth at all times during travel, including throughout the flight, during boarding and deplaning, and while traveling through an airport,” he said.

The ban cast uncertainty on how Reinbold might rejoin the Alaska Senate when legislative work resumes Monday. No other airline has regularly scheduled direct flights between Anchorage and Juneau.
There are no roads into and out of Juneau. She's going to have to get creative, but it won't be easy or cheap. :biggrin:
She’s pulling a Sharon Meroni and representing herself.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67 ... -airlines/

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

To quote an obnoxious Simpsons character: HA ha!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Florida health officials investigate measles outbreak at school

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... press.coop
The Florida Department of Health in Broward County announced Sunday it is investigating four cases confirmed at Manatee Bay Elementary School in Weston, according to CBS News. The first case was reported Thursday and three others were confirmed Saturday.

“The health, safety and welfare of our students and staff remain our utmost priority,” the Broward County Public School District said in a statement to NewsNation affiliate WFLA. “The district continues to work closely with the Florida Department of Health-Broward following three additional confirmed measles cases at Manatee Bay Elementary School. The school’s principal is keeping families informed and following health department guidelines to safeguard our community.”

The Broward health department said those who have received the full series of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunization are 98% protected and are highly unlikely to contract the disease.

People can remain contagious for about eight days — four days before the disease’s signature rash appears and four days after, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The virus can also survive up to two hours in the air after an infected person leaves the area.

The Broward health department advises people who suspect or notice measles symptoms to contact their health care provider for instructions before visiting their offices.

According to the Florida Department of Health, the last reported case of measles in Broward County was in 2019, with just one case reported.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ak-ladapo/
As a Florida elementary school tries to contain a growing measles outbreak, the state’s top health official is giving advice that runs counter to science and may leave unvaccinated children at risk of contracting one of the most contagious pathogens on Earth, clinicians and public health experts said.

Florida surgeon general Joseph A. Ladapo failed to urge parents to vaccinate their children or keep unvaccinated students home from school as a precaution in a letter to parents at the Fort Lauderdale-area school this week following six confirmed measles cases.

Instead of following what he acknowledged was the “normal” recommendation that parents keep unvaccinated children home for up to 21 days — the incubation period for measles — Ladapo said the state health department “is deferring to parents or guardians to make decisions about school attendance.”

The controversial move by Ladapo follows a pattern of bucking public health norms, particularly when it comes to vaccines. Last month, he called for halting the use of mRNA coronavirus vaccines, in a move decried by the public health community.

Ben Hoffman, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said Florida’s guidance flies in the face of long-standing and widely accepted public health guidance for measles, which can result in severe complications, including death.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I really hate this state.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Enjoy your unvaxxed children. A common side of effect of measles is permanent damage to hearing.

:wave:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

So I had a little surgery day before yesterday, still eating OxyContin & various edibles. None of them made my head go all swirley & bad like this guy. Vaccines in your lettuce.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Also, it has a nasty habit of wiping the immune memory. All those "naturally acquired immunities" your child had? Gone. Look forward to several more years of non-stop childhood illnesses.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Greatgrey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:38 pm So I had a little surgery day before yesterday, still eating OxyContin & various edibles. None of them made my head go all swirley & bad like this guy. Vaccines in your lettuce.

Research into edible vaccine is still at a very early stage and scientists have a long way to go before it will become a major part of immunization program world wide.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7120417/

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”