Another Santos? Anna Paulina Luna, R-FL

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3xapaCd

Gifted. Fairly long article.
Twelve years before she was elected as the first Mexican American woman to represent Florida in Congress, Anna Paulina Luna was serving at Whiteman Air Force Base in Warrensburg, Mo., where friends said she described herself as alternately Middle Eastern, Jewish or Eastern European. Known then by her given last name of Mayerhofer, Luna sported designer clothing and expressed support for then-President Barack Obama.

By the time she ran for Congress as a Republican, she had changed her last name to Luna in what she said was an homage to her mother’s family. A staunch advocate for gun rights, she cited on the campaign trail a harrowing childhood that left her “battle hardened.” She said she and her mother had little extended family as she grew up in “low-income” neighborhoods in Southern California with a father in and out of incarceration. She said she experienced a traumatizing “home invasion” when she was serving in the Air Force in Missouri.

Luna’s sharp turn to the right, her account of an isolated and impoverished childhood, and her embrace of her Hispanic heritage have come as a surprise to some friends and family who knew her before her ascent to the U.S. House this year. A cousin who grew up with Luna said she was regularly included in family gatherings. Her roommate in Missouri had no recollection of the “home invasion” Luna detailed, describing instead a break-in at their shared apartment when they were not home, an incident confirmed by police records.

“She would really change who she was based on what fit the situation best at the time,” said the roommate, Brittany Brooks, who lived with Luna for six months and was a close friend during her military service.

Luna’s congressional office did not provide answers to a detailed list of questions about her biography from The Post. When approached in person on Capitol Hill last week, Luna claimed she had not received any inquiry from The Post and declined to comment further. On Friday, Luna’s communications director, Edie Heipel, emailed The Post calling the questions “bizarre” and stating “our office will not be responding to you any further.”
Shorter version here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/wapo-expo ... itter_page
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Oh, perfect.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:rotflmao:

:bwahaha:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing anything even close to Santos layers of deception here.

The family stuff (perceptions of the cousins) didn't move my liar meter.

The criminal history of the father is the only thing that seems to contain contradictions, but they are minor and not self-aggrandizing.

As for the Mexican heritage material--WTF? She decides in her twenties to discover her heritage? Changes the pronunciation of her name. I think it's kind of tell that this is even in the article (cf. Barry becoming Barack).

Plus the HItler material, and this reads like a hatchet job to me.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:13 pm Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing anything even close to Santos layers of deception here.

The family stuff (perceptions of the cousins) didn't move my liar meter.

The criminal history of the father is the only thing that seems to contain contradictions, but they are minor and not self-aggrandizing.

As for the Mexican heritage material--WTF? She decides in her twenties to discover her heritage? Changes the pronunciation of her name. I think it's kind of tell that this is even in the article (cf. Barry becoming Barack).

Plus the HItler material, and this reads like a hatchet job to me.
I can't argue with that.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I don't object to the varioius 'ethnicitis' descriptions either.

Suppose her parents were Hungarian Jews that moved to Israel where she was born before moving to the USA (I don't know if any of that is true, I'm just supposing).

Then
=> describing herself as Jewish is accurate.
=> describing herself as having an Eastern European background is accurate.
=> describing herself as having a Middle Eastern background is accurate (Israel is in the Middle East after all).
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:04 am I don't object to the varioius 'ethnicitis' descriptions either.

Suppose her parents were Hungarian Jews that moved to Israel where she was born before moving to the USA (I don't know if any of that is true, I'm just supposing).

Then
=> describing herself as having a Middle Eastern background is accurate (Israel is in the Middle East after all).
If your family was Ashkenazic Jewish for hundreds of years, I'd have trouble with Middle Eastern thing. As a lifelong secular Jew, I don't know of a single Jew of a purely Ashkenazic background and no recent generations spent in Israel itself that could reasonably and with a straight face describe themselves as 'Middle Eastern' in background.

Now, that said, it's possible she has some Mizrahi in her background, sure. But if this were Reddit's AITA sub, I'd be putting up an INFO request.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith

Post by keith »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 am
keith wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:04 am I don't object to the varioius 'ethnicitis' descriptions either.

Then
If your family was Ashkenazic Jewish for hundreds of years, I'd have trouble with Middle Eastern thing. As a lifelong secular Jew, I don't know of a single Jew of a purely Ashkenazic background and no recent generations spent in Israel itself that could reasonably and with a straight face describe themselves as 'Middle Eastern' in background.

Now, that said, it's possible she has some Mizrahi in her background, sure. But if this were Reddit's AITA sub, I'd be putting up an INFO request.
People who are born in Israel are born in the Middle East. Israel is in the Middle East - that is a simple fact of geography. Perhaps she was making that claim as a political statement to emphasize what she wanted to project as some kind of special affinity for the region beyond Israel. I don't know, I'm just supposing.

I understand the majority of the remaining population of Hungarian Jews are Ashkenazi, but is it true that ALL Hungarian Jews are Ashkenazi? I can also understand that it is important to the Ashkenazi that they identify with their Eastern European background. It is also important to the Clan McDonald and the Clan Stewart who have lived in Michigan for hundreds of years to identify with their Scottish background. That doesn't make them any less American or Michigander.

But I repeat I don't know if my series of 'supposes' is anywhere near accurate - they are just descriptions of a situation that might yield the varying descriptions she gives herself. Nor do I pretend to know why she gave those descriptions of her background.

I'm just saying that her 'inconsistency' is not necessarily coming from nefariousness. It might be coming from different contexts or different ways she identifies herself.

That possibility makes it completely unfair to compare her to Santos in this way, unless you can identify something more definitive.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Sounds like she is what Kitara meant when he said he "embellished" his résumé.

She embellished, he outright lied.

But I love that it's another Republican. Trump taught them that you don't have to be honest, or even try.

'Course, now they'll find a Democrat, too also. Maybe. :daydreaming:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. - Mark Twain
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

:yeahthat:

I call it embroidery, and I think she done did more than sew a couple pretty flowers. Maybe I misunderstood the story. But, my read is she spun whole new cloth when she magically changed from Mediterranean sumpthinorother to Latina. Without a dna test, or other family members coming forward, we will never know for sure.

So, she is Santos part II.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:56 am :yeahthat:

I call it embroidery, and I think she done did more than sew a couple pretty flowers. Maybe I misunderstood the story. But, my read is she spun whole new cloth when she magically changed from Mediterranean sumpthinorother to Latina. Without a dna test, or other family members coming forward, we will never know for sure.

So, she is Santos part II.
Maybe "Lite."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I put a question mark in the title. Time will tell.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

In fact, exactly that.

My beef is that the article in the first post is not at all in-depth, and that the writing is slanted. The Hitler nod is a red flag. It reads like a right wing hit piece on Obama or Elizabeth Warren. Had I been the editor, I would have requested a change i approach.

It's too easy to pick something apart in the information age.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:18 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 am As a lifelong secular Jew, I don't know of a single Jew of a purely Ashkenazic background and no recent generations spent in Israel itself that could reasonably and with a straight face describe themselves as 'Middle Eastern' in background.
People who are born in Israel are born in the Middle East. Israel is in the Middle East - that is a simple fact of geography. Perhaps she was making that claim as a political statement to emphasize what she wanted to project as some kind of special affinity for the region beyond Israel. I don't know, I'm just supposing.
I will note that I did in fact include recent generations spent in Israel as a qualifier for 'Middle Eastern'. That said, I have no knowledge of any such generations on her part. Based on what I know of Hungary's 'position' in the Jewish diaspora, it's unlikely. Consider that most of the post-World War II Jewish return to Hungary has been in the past decade, by which time Luna was a fully-formed adult, so it's *possible* that her grandparents or parents spent time in Israel right after its formation then returned to Hungary before the late 50s/early 60s, but I will admit that I doubt it highly.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Israeli press takes notice
Congresswoman claims to be Jewish, revealed to be granddaughter of Nazi - report
Luna's grandfather Heinrich Mayerhofer, who died in 2003, served in the armed forces of Nazi Germany when he was a teenager in the 1940s.

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
Published: FEBRUARY 12, 2023 04:08 Updated: FEBRUARY 12, 2023 08:27

Florida Republican congresswoman Anna Paulina Luna was outed by The Washington Post on Friday for lying about her Jewish heritage in a previous interview with the Jewish Insider in November 2022.

Not only is Luna almost certainly not Jewish, but also according to several family members, reports the Washington Post, Luna's paternal grandfather Heinrich Mayerhofer, who died in 2003, served in the armed forces of Nazi Germany when he was a teenager in the 1940s.

"I was raised as a Messianic Jew by my father,” Luna had told the Jewish Insider, clarifying that she identifies as a Christian. “I am also a small fraction Ashkenazi."

https://www.jpost.com/american-politics/article-731310
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Note: being member of the regular German army does not imply being a Nazi. The army members were drafted, their political view was not of concern. Different than the SS troops.
keith

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:32 pm Note: being member of the regular German army does not imply being a Nazi. The army members were drafted, their political view was not of concern. Different than the SS troops.
True. But I doubt that many of the draftees were Jewish.

Return to “Current Politics”