Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Disgusting. It hurts my heart. And they are blatant.
Republicans against Trump @RpsAgainstTrump wrote: Donald Trump: “Would you rather have the Black president or the white president? I think they want the white guy.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Well, I for one will not believe that Donald Trump is racist until he says he's going to stop work on building Lake No Negro. That's where I draw the line. If he does that, I'm done with him.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Are you saying that Trump's building something in Oregon, just a bit north of where you are? ;)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I was being hyperbolic, but I kinda figured you'd notice the town name.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

There's a reason articles like this have been written about a town called 'Anna'.

https://features.propublica.org/illinoi ... d-of-anna/
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Duke ends full-ride scholarship program for select Black students in wake of affirmative action ruling

Duke is discontinuing its Reginaldo Howard Memorial Scholarship Program, a program for “top applicants of African descent,” in the wake of last year’s Supreme Court decision that ended race-based affirmative action in college admissions.

The announcement comes amidst a nascent national trend, with a number of public universities ending their own race-based scholarship programs in response to the Supreme Court ruling.

Established in 1979, the merit scholarship, which also required some recipients to demonstrate financial need, covered full tuition, room and board for a select group of Black undergraduates. The scholarship is named in honor of Reginaldo “Reggie” Howard, Duke’s first Black student government president who died in an automobile accident during his sophomore year in 1976.

“It is very much disheartening to hear that this program that opened the door for me to come to Duke is now being closed essentially, even though it will take on a new form,” junior Mya Harris said.
:snippity:
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... ip-program
Qasim Rashid, Esq. @QasimRashid wrote: Duke admits 11% of the general applicants but 23% of legacy applicants—whose parents and grandparents parents were accepted during Jim Crow.

Duke didn’t even accept Black students until 1963. Now Black scholarships are banned but racist Jim Crow Legacy thrives.

This is America.
https://x.com/QasimRashid/status/1778796238420279422
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”