2024: California Senate (Feinstein's seat)

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:fingerwag:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I could be wrong but I suspect the Daily Mail’s article about Meghan Markle is, if not an invention, a deliberate overstating of any truth. It’s par for the course for them.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:21 am I could be wrong but I suspect the Daily Mail’s article about Meghan Markle is, if not an invention, a deliberate overstating of any truth. It’s par for the course for them.
Oh, I know. I just think the whole idea is hilarious - that British royalty would run for US office.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Eh, she could but I doubt she would win. Anyway I don't think she would be interested.

But ya its just an excuse for the Mail to get some hawt pics of Mrs Markle on the page.
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

AP: Former baseball MVP Steve Garvey joins California US Senate race, gives GOP ballot dash of celebrity:
Former baseball MVP Steve Garvey joined the race Tuesday to succeed the late California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, giving Republicans a splash of star quality on the ballot in a heavily Democratic state where the GOP hasn’t won a Senate race in 35 years.

Garvey, 74, launched his campaign with a video lush with baseball imagery that recalled his career as a perennial All-Star who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres. It also signaled he would lean toward the political center in a party dominated by former President Donald Trump, the leading GOP presidential candidate who could share the ballot with Garvey next year.

In an interview, Garvey said he voted for Trump in the past but had not settled on a pick in the unfolding 2024 presidential contest. He did not answer directly when asked if he considered himself part of the Trump wing of the GOP. Trump lost California in landslides in 2016 and 2020, though he had support from millions of Republican and conservative-leaning voters in the state.

Still, he will face the challenges of any first-time candidate: raising millions of dollars for TV advertising and building an organization to turn out voters in a field of candidates that already includes Democratic U.S. Reps. Katie Porter, Adam Schiff and Barbara Lee. The race could be further complicated if Sen. Laphonza Butler, whom Gov. Gavin Newsom recently appointed to the seat following Feinstein’s death, chooses to run.
California has a so-called "jungle primary," but I suspect the general election will be between one Democrat and one Republican. (Although two of the four jungle Senate primaries have resulted in Democrat vs. Democrat general elections.)
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What happened to sports figures and other entertainers should stay in their lane? Isn't that what MAGA has been telling me every time one opens their mouth? Or takes a knee?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Ideally, 74 years old is an age where a person who has the means should have already been retired for a few years, hanging out with the grandchildren, traveling to one after another national park, and generally staying the FUCK out of trying to get elected for the first time in their life.

JHC.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Power = cocaine.
bob

Post by bob »

:bag:

(The Speaker does not preside over the electoral-vote count.)
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Long article at CNN - California Senate hopeful Rep. Adam Schiff claimed primary residences in Maryland and California
For more than a decade, California Senate hopeful Rep. Adam Schiff has claimed his primary residence is a 3,420 square foot home he owns in Maryland, according to a review of mortgage records.

At the same time, Schiff has for years taken a homeowner’s tax exemption on a much smaller 650 square foot condo he owns in Burbank, California, also claiming that home as his primary residence for a reduction in his tax bill of $7,000. He did not take an exemption on his home in Maryland.

While Schiff has signed documents asserting both the Maryland property and the significantly smaller Burbank condo as his primary residences, tax records indicate that he paid his California property taxes in 2017 with a check featuring his Maryland address – the only year he paid with a personal check. And a review of past comments, pictures shared on his public social media, and records indicate Schiff makes his full-time home in Maryland.
bob

Post by bob »

For more than a decade, California Senate hopeful Rep. Adam Schiff has claimed his primary residence is a 3,420 square foot home he owns in Maryland, according to a review of mortgage records.
A full-time legislator maintained a residence near his work site? :faint:
Image ImageImage
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

:yawn:
bob

Post by bob »

ABC (538):
The big question in the solidly blue state is whether the two candidates who make it out of the March 5 primary will be a Democrat and a Republican, or two Democrats. Looking at our tracker, Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff is polling at 25 percent and seems likely to finish first. But the race for the second spot is very tight between Republican Steve Garvey (18 percent), a former professional baseball player, and Democratic Rep. Katie Porter (17 percent). Democratic Rep. Barbara Lee is also in the mix, but she's polling shy of 10 percent and looks unlikely to advance.

Schiff has tried to use that money to influence the race for second place by working to boost Garvey's standing to ensure he faces a Republican opponent in November. Schiff has run ads that criticize Garvey for his conservative views and previous support for Trump, but actually aim to raise Garvey's profile among Republican voters. Should Garvey consolidate most Republican support and advance along with Schiff, the general election would almost certainly be a cakewalk for Schiff in deep-blue California. On the other hand, should Schiff advance with Porter or another Democrat, he would have to seriously contest the Democrat-versus-Democrat matchup all the way to November.
Image ImageImage
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I liked Schiff before he showed his stripes as a genocidal bastard. Garvey is a dunce, has no California charm like Ahnold or Reagan. Porter is fat and obnoxious. Barbara Lee calls out bullshit when she sees it, so she will finish last, naturally. And it's a US Senate seat. Each state gets two of them. Feinstein is a goner.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I like Porter. Nothing cheers me up like seeing her and her whiteboard show up for a hearing.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

+1
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Porter is fat
Was this necessary? And how is it relevant to qualifications?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:53 am I like Porter. Nothing cheers me up like seeing her and her whiteboard show up for a hearing.
Absolutely.
raison de arizona

Chalk up another Porter fan. I'm a big fan of her whiteboarding.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:yeahthat:

Me too.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1jqZwY
March 6 (UPI) -- Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., and Republican Steve Garvey will face each other in California's November Senate race as they seek to fill late Sen. Diane Feinstein's seat.

Schiff and Garvey beat out progressive Democrats Katie Porter and Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., setting up a face-off in the general election as under California's primary election system, the two candidates with the most votes advance to the general election regardless of party affiliation.
raison de arizona

Hate to say it, but Schiff is a dirty dog. What he did to Porter was wrong.
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:43 pm Hate to say it, but Schiff is a dirty dog. What he did to Porter was wrong.
As of right now, Porter is in a very distant third (13.8%) to Garvey's second place (32.4%). Even if every Lee voter (7.4%) had voted instead for Porter, Porter still would not have advanced.

Interestingly, Garvey is leading (with Schiff in second) for the primary for the weeks-long remainder of the current term. (Because Porter and Lee received more votes in that election.)

The likely result is that Schiff will win both contests (to finish out this term and start the next one), which effectively will give him seniority over anyone first elected to the Senate in November.
Image ImageImage
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:43 pm Hate to say it, but Schiff is a dirty dog. What he did to Porter was wrong.
I disagree. Schiff is justifiably uninterested in running a knock down campaign against fellow Democrat. California's jungle primary is to blame for this.

I dont blame Porter for testing the waters, but she should have seen the writing on the wall much sooner. She is an extremely valuable ember of congress, and now she is lost to us for at least two years.
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “U.S. Senate”