💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Frater I*I »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:39 pm This all reminds me of the Tea Party over a decade ago. :doh:
Same people, just with a different name...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Frater I*I »

Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, the circus has officially arrived in the House of Representatives.....

And it's populated entirely by clowns... :rolleye:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:popcorn:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

OMG hadn't seen that clip p0rtia, just saw the tweet. This AI stuff is getting scary af.

hahaha Democrats are raising money off this and MAGA is ANGRY about that!
shocking defeat
Inbox Hakeem Jeffries <info@collectivepac.org>
4:42 PM (35 minutes ago) to me
If you want to help The Collective PAC build Black political power up and down the ballot, and across the country, then you’re in the right place. If you'd like to unsubscribe click here.

Orly, I can hardly believe my eyes – I just watched House Republicans plunge into utter chaos on the House floor.

Minutes ago, extreme MAGA Republicans failed to vote for a Speaker of the House for the first time in decades.

Let me repeat that: Kevin McCarthy’s own Republicans just rejected him – proving House Republicans are fighting themselves instead of fighting for the people.

This changes everything for Democrats. We now have a huge opportunity to step in and show what we can do – but only if we move quickly to prove our numbers.

So I need my own massive show of support right now to prove that, while Republicans are in complete disarray, Democrats stand united and ready to take the reins. If I can gather 1,000 gifts before midnight, we’ll have a historic fundraising day and show that Democrats are ready to take back the House. I’m counting on your $10 in this defining moment more than you can imagine. Can I count on you to split a gift between myself and The Collective PAC?

If you've stored your payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will be processed immediately and split between Hakeem Jeffries and The Collective PAC.
DONATE $10 NOW »
DONATE $25 NOW »
DONATE $50 NOW »
DONATE $100 NOW »
DONATE $250 NOW »
OTHER »

Orly, extreme MAGA Republicans are bringing chaos, crisis, confusion, and craziness to the People’s House.

This is our chance to show that while the party of “no” is totally out of control, Democrats are set to get big things done and deliver for the American people.

Keep the faith, Hakeem
:popcorn:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I think its time to bring out the classics.

boebert03.jpg
boebert03.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 8028 times
Hic sunt dracones
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:13 pm Hakeem Jeffries is SIX votes away from winning. Remember how the dope "Joseph DeMaio" blogged over and over and over at the P&E that just a few Democrats could switch the GOP and "Save America"? It would be awesome if his plan worked... in reverse. :lol:
I could actually see the democrats dangling some choice committee assignments in front a handful of republicans and getting some defectors.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ale ... eaker-vote
An interesting scene played out on the House floor as roll call voting was underway in the speaker’s race on Tuesday afternoon. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) were spotted by cameras having a friendly conversation.

The pair make for quite an odd political coupling since the far-right Gosar previously targeted Ocasio-Cortez, a member of the progressive “squad,” in late 2021 with a bizarre anime-influenced video that depicted him attacking her with a sword.

A clip of the two chatting quickly rocketed around Twitter with many observers wondering what exactly the pair were talking about. According to a source close to Ocasio-Cortez, Gosar came to her with concerns that Democrats might be planning to help Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) secure the speakership despite growing opposition to his bid from far-right members of the Freedom Caucus.

“Gosar heard from McCarthy that McCarthy could get Dems to leave [and] thereby lower the number of votes he needed,” the source explained.

The House speaker is elected with a simple majority of votes cast. If enough Democrats left, that would lower the total number of votes needed and could help put McCarthy over the edge. The source said Gosar asked Ocasio-Cortez if the rumor that Democrats planned to aid McCarthy was “true.”

“She said, no, it wasn’t,” the source explained.

Gosar is no stranger to rumors and off-base theories. He was one of the Republican members of Congress who texted President Trump’s former chief of staff, Mark Meadows, wild conspiracy theories about the 2020 election as they discussed efforts to overturn it. In recent months, Gosar also promoted debunked conspiratorial concerns about water fluoridation.

The source close to Ocasio-Cortez said they were not aware of whether or not Gosar’s violent anime video, which earned him a rare censure, came up in their conversation.

Amid the speculation about their chat, Gosar posted a seemingly joking tweet suggesting he was regaling Ocasio-Cortez with his take on the “combustion engine.” Gosar did not respond to a request for comment
bob

Post by bob »

The House has adjourned until tomorrow.

Fun fact: One of the last acts by a session of Congress is to vest the Clerk with the House's authority. So until a new Speaker is elected (who will then nominate a new Clerk), it is the (Shipping) Clerk's House. :towel:

Another fun fact: Without a Speaker, second in line for the presidency currently is newly elected Senate President pro tem Patty Murray.

And, of course, until sworn in, everyone is still a Representative-elect. :towel:
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

bob wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:31 pm The House has adjourned until tomorrow.

Fun fact: One of the last acts by a session of Congress is to vest the Clerk with the House's authority. So until a new Speaker is elected (who will then nominate a new Clerk), it is the (Shipping) Clerk's House. :towel:
So did Kevin have to move back out of the speaker's office today?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
cjroberts
Verified:

Post by cjroberts »

Perhaps the Democrats should start rotating who they nominate so everyone gets a chance to beat McCarthy. Start with Pelosi, then AOC, maybe Obama and a Clinton or two.
Go Land Crabs!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That would be fun theater, but I prefer nominating Jeffries each time because it shows solidarity and the seriousness of the procedure.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Lots of horse trading deal making happening before tomorrow’s votes.
Will be fascinating.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

From where I am, it looks like McCarthy might eventually squeak in, but he'll be diminished in every conceivable way compared to Nancy Pelosi. His speakership will be a disaster for the MAGAts and the Republicans who aren't MAGAts. And, for the American people, who must unfortunately be taught not to send assholes like these to our nation's capital.

Because this group is going to do everything possible to destroy our democracy and our government. They're going to try to prevent any federal budget, any federal revenue bills, any fix of the debt ceiling, and so forth. The federal government requires appropriations bills in order to function. This group will try to prevent any from passing.

It's going to be a happy time. :thumbsup:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I am not so sure that he will squeak in. Although it will be disastrous for America, right now my mood is Cry Havoc! And let loose the dogs of war.

Let the people see what Republicans are like when they attempt to govern.

(Mostly I just wanted to get to 600 posts. I know, piker compared to the rest of you.)
Tiredretiredlawyer

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:14 pm I am not so sure that he will squeak in. Although it will be disastrous for America, right now my mood is Cry Havoc! And let loose the dogs of war.

Let the people see what Republicans are like when they attempt to govern.

(Mostly I just wanted to get to 600 posts. I know, piker compared to the rest of you.)
6-0-0!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!! I would enjoy seeing you post moar!
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The ironic thing is that if McCarthy tries to mollify the Dingbat caucus, I see a fair chance that 6 Republicans will swap votes out of disgust and hand the speakership to Jeffries before he actually manages to get a single dingbat vote. Six is a very, very low margin of Error.

Pelosi is probably ringing McCarthy and offering her sympathy in a sweet sweet voice. :twisted:
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rep. David Joyce.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Probably meant "January 6th AND the fake electors". Makes more sense that way.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:22 pm Rep. David Joyce.
Welp, enjoy your last 2 years in the house, because Zee Furher will get a MAGA nut to primary you....

Trent Reznor
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Thanks, RDA for finding that interview! That was a great time. Congrats on the posts, Suzie! xx

:lol:
🇺🇸 HOCKEY MOM 🇺🇸 @jeepgirl9272 10s
We give them the House, & the GOP clowns couldn’t even stand united today with an American First speaker ready to go to battle for us! I can’t even look at these people anymore.
Must be remembered that this is the same margin as Nancy Pelosi had. Even when the Squad didn't agree, they kept the party together. These tools don't care about the party or the country. Shows why Republicans were so terrified of Nancy.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

It occurs to me that the GQP needs a leader that can handle stiffening McCarthy's spine and ensure his performance.

Where is Edgar Bergen when you need him?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Tiredretiredlawyer

Well played! :rotflmao:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I heard that Nancy knew how to gather and count votes. She didn't move in to the Speaker's office before she became Speaker.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Part of me is really hoping that the holdout's mystery guest is Trump. I would love to see the party squirm with that vote.

Return to “Current Politics”