George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

There's always flamethrower dawg - the mechanical marvel. We'll call it a charity race to see how fast and how far Santos can run, and if the dawg can keep up.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Our covert mission, Operation #TrumpSantos2024, is stealthily moving along. Thank goodness my X profile photo of Joe Biden doesn't give me away!!

Today, overran a Trump VP poll with such conviction that the poll pollster followed and a big MAGA account reconsidered his opinion.
MAGA IFB @Wills2024 3h
Who do you think Trump should select as his Vice President? I think it should be Kristi or Tulsi.
643 votes 1 day left

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious
We are 100% committed to #TrumpSantos2024! Disappointed af George's congressional bid is off, but when God closes a window He opens a door. Here's why George Santos is the BEST VP candidate for Trump and it's not even close. Sign the petition. Please, read this with an open mind:

8:11 PM · Apr 26, 2024

MAGA IFB @Wills2024 2h
I'm trying to have an open mind, but everything he said was a lie (he is like biden jr.) and he would have some story about cannibalism soon... Tell me you are joking here? He was expelled from Congress.

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 2h
Every politician has missteps, but Santos brings valuable insight to the table. That shouldn't overshadow his ability to support & enhance Trump's agenda. Plus, his expulsion could be viewed as a willingness to challenge the status quo—a quality that could prove invaluable.

MAGA IFB @Wills2024 2h
Interesting view point. I also thought it was odd that they expelled him given the squad, and well, lets not forget Biden who has lied since he basically came out of his mothers womb. Lots of hypocrisy going on in Congress for sure. I think it was planned because the Uni Party wanted the republicans to have a narrow margin that would handcuff them in the end of 2024.

If you were from Mars, this would make sense, right? :lol:

Ole Free Speech Absolutist George has been restricting comments to X verified users or people he follows, but he let a few open comments through today so I made sure to post our total support for #TrumpSantos2024.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

George Santos @MrSantosNY wrote: Y'all weren't ready for this drop?

I've decided to bring Kitara out of the closet after 18 years!🤣🤣🤣

for a limited time & with 20% of the proceeds going to @Tunnel2Towers & @TheFellowship

Book your Kitara @BookCameo on the link below!💅 👇
cameo.com wrote: Cameo - Book a Cameo from Kitara Ravache
Kitara Ravache on Cameo! Cameo lets you book personalized videos from your favorite people.
Keith Edwards @keithedwards wrote: George Santos must be desperate for money
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Putting aside his criminality, Kitara is a far more interesting person than her alter ego.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Re Kitara et al.: am I alone in having a deep distaste for drag artistry in general? I think my dislike stemmed from the first few drag artists I saw seeming to be unlikable people, and I perhaps transferred my dislike of thosr individuals to the genre.

But even now, whenever I see drag artists on television, in my mind I see the gender equivalent of Blackface, a ridiculous and insulting caricature of femininity.

To be clear, in no way am I impugning the morals of the guys doing this, I'm not scared of them, I definitely don't want to ban them (not even from libraries) or control his people dress, but I don't like the genre. Creeps like Santos being part of the scene cannot improve my opinion.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:22 am But even now, whenever I see drag artists on television, in my mind I see the gender equivalent of Blackface, a ridiculous and insulting caricature of femininity.
That's a perspective I've never considered, and I don't have an immediate counter point to it. My first reaction is it's valid and worthy of discussion. I can say I cannot think of any drag clubs featuring women done up as well known men. Neither can I think of any famous Whiteface acts ala Amos and Andy.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I think there’s a difference. Blackface has no redeeming qualities and is therefore indefensible. For some drag artists (not all, I don’t think), their art is tied to their sexual identity.

When guys like Giuliani do it, though, it’s just offensive.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I went to a show where a lesbian performed as a drag queen and everyone loved the act. At the end, when she revealed who she was, the audience gave her a standing ovation.

Maybe I’m wrong, and if I am I’m sure someone will point that out, but I don’t think drag is so much as making you believe the gender of the performer as it is entertaining as a performer in whatever costume they choose to wear.

I grew up watching Monty Python and Benny Hill doing hilarious drag skits. And wasn’t Milton Berle known for his drag? Some like it Hot is one of my favorite movies.

And, no, not all drag queens are doing comedy. I have seen some jaw dropping dramatic performances. I don’t see the problem and I am no shrinking violet when it comes to misogyny. If I saw it, I’d call it out.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I ask myself, could I do drag, or could I have done it in the past? And the answer is no. Not at any point in my life would I have been willing to wear women's clothes, of any kind, for any purpose - and I was a pet store Santa once, for charity. I'm as straight as the shortest distance between two points on a graph. Hence, I've simply never found anything interesting about drag shows. They don't offend me (Roodles offends me), but I just have no interest whatsoever.

Didn't Santos deny that he was ever Kitara? I thought he did.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

► Show Spoiler
Sam the Centipede

Thanks folk, interesting and thoughtful perspectives. I'm all in favor of people expressing themselves and I certainly believe it's fine for me to simply dislike drag, just as it's fine to dislike genres of music, styles of painting, architecture, food, etc. while I'm not suggesting they should be discriminated against, let alone banned.

I'm still left with the fact that drag artists don't simply decide to dress fabulously with sparkly fripperies and feathery folderols, but do so in identifiably women's clothing, so the element of pastiche (or worse) is definitely there.

Each to their own!

And if it upsets strait-laced Republicans, especially Trumpanzees, go for it!!
bob

Post by bob »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:22 amI think my dislike stemmed from the first few drag artists I saw seeming to be unlikable people, and I perhaps transferred my dislike of thosr individuals to the genre.

But even now, whenever I see drag artists on television, in my mind I see the gender equivalent of Blackface, a ridiculous and insulting caricature of femininity.
"It depends."

There are some performers who come off as misogynists (especially in earlier interactions of the genre) or otherwise punching down. The performers I watch tend to offer societal critique, i.e., they are making statements about how society treats women.

Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not all drag is portrayed as female. I’ve seen space aliens. I’ve seen singers in glittery suits and shaved heads. At the last gay pride parade, I saw several queens with thick beards. I’ve seen many androgynous characters. Sometimes it’s just about flamboyance. I love the creativity.

Full disclosure, I belong to a senior women’s dance troupe, but instead of dressing in nice respectable outfits, we take our cues from Dolly Parton’s Super Bowl outfit*. And if I say so myself, we rock it. So I’m big on flamboyance.

*At a recent performance, our 73-yo leader wore the Dallas cowgirls cheerleader costume. And she nailed it.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am Didn't Santos deny that he was ever Kitara? I thought he did.
He did, January 19, 2023:
TMZ wrote:George Santos addressed the reports, saying the drag queen claims are "categorically false." He said, "the media continues to make outrageous claims about my life while I am working to deliver results. I will not be distracted or fazed by this."
https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/19/george-s ... iend-lies/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Off Topic
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:52 pm Not all drag is portrayed as female. I’ve seen space aliens. I’ve seen singers in glittery suits and shaved heads. At the last gay pride parade, I saw several queens with thick beards. I’ve seen many androgynous characters. Sometimes it’s just about flamboyance. I love the creativity.
And, of course, Drag Kings: costumed portrayals of masculinity.
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bob wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:08 pm
Off Topic
And, of course, Drag Kings: costumed portrayals of masculinity.
I never knew! How interesting.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Well, all I can say is don't go to Drag Strips expecting nekkid bodies.

And Foggy - you'd rock some gold lame. Totally. Too also, avoid the heels without good health insurance though, or so I'm told.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

One of Australia's most famous satirist's (Barry Humphries RIP) most famous routines was to dress up in drag as Dame Edna.

He did other characters (male) too and was married with several kids. I never heard one person claim insult by Dame Edna.
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Georgie is not having much success w/Kitara. The Cameo rate was lowered to $275 from $350. Only 5 have been recorded
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Where is Jimmy Kimmel when you need him?

ImageImageImage x4
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Context dear people......Context

"Drag", crossdressing and the like has a long albeit sometimes checkered history.

In the UK as an example, the Christmas Panto(mime) has a long, child friendly, interactive theatre history.

The principal boy is always a woman, the Dames are always men and are both massively over the top and utter parodies. It is interactive theatre at its best with layered humour design designed to be funny at a child's and an adults level.

Then there are the legions of followers of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. FrankNfurter in their crossdresser kit where you will have members of the audience in full lookalike costume. You aint lived until you have seen a full rugby team in full regalia at a show. (any scurrilous rumours to the effect that one of said players was myself are pure supposition... :eek: )

Then we have the film and theatre production "Kinky Boots"...

The point is none of these are seen as misogynistic, no one protests about the portrayal of women by men, no one seers it as a deliberate affront to women.

As in any debate...YMMV
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
Sam the Centipede

Interesting views, thanks all. I hadn't considered the English (? I don't know its history) pantomime tradition. Of course dames are cross-dressing and thus (arguably?) drag, but doesn't raise the same doubt in my mind, probably because it is so cartoonish. Probably Barry Humphries too.

Anyway, the drag folk will continue to wobble on their high heels and I will benignly ignore them and the world continues to rotate!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Different strokes for different folks.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Current Politics”