"We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: "We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:41 pm

:thumbs:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:44 pm

On our way to El Capitan for the last group beach camp! We’ve been com9ng at least once a year since Sprout was in 2nd grade. Now that he’s a

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE!!!

(Thank you, we’re soooo relieved)

all the kids are splitting up, off to college. One of my honorary daughters in going to UHHonolulu (she’s gonna be lonely, she’s gonna need her auntie kate520) and the other to UCSanta Cruz. Sprout is going to PCC until he gets some inspiration about his future.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Enjoy that trip!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:25 am

Have fun, Kate!!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Not a big trip, but we will be gone from tomorrow until Saturday. We are just taking the grandkids on a car trip to Lancaster, PA, about 150-175 miles away. Our granddaughter loves it out there, but it's the first trip for the grandson. We wanted to go out by train, but it's too much hassle traveling with two booster/car seats on the train. Longwood Gardens is on the schedule, and I do mean schedule. You have to buy timed tickets in advance for entry now. I'm not real happy about that.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 am

Off to the beach today, AFK from maybe 9 am to whenever.

Kittehs are desolate. They know what it means when we pack up.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief. And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:32 pm

On the way to upstate NY for the week. Will be in the Adirondacks and probably without signal from tomorrow through the 3rd.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Had one hell of a "small world" moment today - too good not to share. Got in to Newark, picked up the bags, and got on the airtrain to get the rental, chatting with my wife as I go.

Someone taps on my shoulder, says "Mike?" It's a guy I went to high school with (and have only been in contact with via Facebook since). He's an expat, he & his wife were on the way to get their car on a visit back.

Talk about one-in-a-million encounters.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 am

It's that time of the year for me and Mrs. Ipsa.

Nothing like a calm and peaceful break at a beach town...

Or a roadside picnic....

Thanks pal.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 am

Quelle magnifique! Bon voyage!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

I am in need of a sabbatical. See you after Labor Day :wave:

¡Sterngard! come home.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Enjoy it! You certainly deserve it. :thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
:thumbs:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
We will miss you, but I hope your break is refreshing.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm

We will be heading off on the train on Saturday, July 21, taking our granddaughter for her first overnight train trip. We're taking the train to Denver (two nights), then renting a car and driving up to South Dakota where we will spend most of our time at national/state parks. We're staying a few days in Denver before taking the train back. We'll be back August 6.

And when we step foot (drive car?) into South Dakota, we will have been to every state in the country at least once. :-D

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:12 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm
We will be heading off on the train on Saturday, July 21, taking our granddaughter for her first overnight train trip. We're taking the train to Denver (two nights), then renting a car and driving up to South Dakota where we will spend most of our time at national/state parks. We're staying a few days in Denver before taking the train back. We'll be back August 6.

And when we step foot (drive car?) into South Dakota, we will have been to every state in the country at least once. :-D
Fun!!!!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:12 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Fun!!!!
:banana: :cheer1: :cheer: That sounds like a great time! I hope you enjoy it as much as I believe I would! Yay! Another good thing for the good guys! We have to celebrate every good thing, no matter how small.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Heading to North Cackilacky w/the mr to join Maybenaut in a week of insane folky music classes with insane teachers like Kathy mattea ,Tim Paxton and (but not this year🙄) Janis Ian. Back August 3rd ish.

THEN...to the woods mid-August.

Have a wonderful trip, Andy!

I’ll have access but maybe having too much fun.

Play nice. Carl, I’ll be watching...

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 pm
Heading to North Cackilacky w/the mr to join Maybenaut in a week of insane folky music classes with insane teachers like Kathy mattea ,Tim Paxton and (but not this year🙄) Janis Ian. Back August 3rd ish.

Eeeeeeeeek!!! I cannot wait to see you again! This will be a total worlds-collidey sort of thing. Friends from The Fogbow, friends from home, friends from Cayamo (I think), and friends I met down there the last two years.

Janis Ian isn’t going to be there this year? Bummer! I was going to try to get a selfie with her and send it to W4.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:25 pm

kate520 wrote:

Enjoy! :-D

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:25 pm
kate520 wrote:

Enjoy! :-D
:thumbs: :bighug: Have fun! I can't wait to hear all about it!

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Janis Ian isn’t going to be there this year? Bummer! I was going to try to get a selfie with her and send it to W4.
Whut? She’s out? Is she OK? Googling....

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Just had dinner st the Swannanoa Gathering with Kate and Mr. 520. Let the music commence!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Our internet is out, AT&T working on it. :madguy:

7:30 pm, it's back, yay.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief. And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm

We got back a week ago from South Dakota, a day late because the train was delayed seven hours to Chicago and our train to Pittsburgh was long gone. Amtrak taxied us to a Swissotel, which was lovely and overlooked the lake and Navy Pier (we'd stayed in one before in Lima), but we still were pretty beat from the trip by that point, checking into the hotel at 11 PM.

The trip itself was great! It took two days to drive up to South Dakota, not very scenic, but once we got into South Dakota all was lovely. We got Mount Rushmore out of the way quickly. We were about as impressed as we had thought it would be, which wasn't much, but it was a beautiful drive to get to it! We couldn't get into either Jewel Cave or Wind Cave National Parks as you had to be there at 7:30 AM to get tour reservations. Showing up a little later was useless, as we learned. We usually don't travel to national parks in the summer, but taking the granddaughter meant we had no choice. But Custer State Park and The Badlands National Park were spectacular. My granddaughter was thrilled at the new landscapes and all the new animals. We also drove into Wyoming to Devils Tower, which was very imposing and worth the drive.

We ended up the trip with two days in Denver. We stayed right at Union Station, which has spent several years updating, becoming the hub for local, bus, and train transportation. It has added neat shops, great restaurants, and The Crawford, which in a few short years has become one of the top hotels in the city. We splurged and got a suite there and the granddaughter loved it! The whole complex is one hopping place, which says something about investing in infrastructure. I don't know if Denver ever realized what a success it would be.

We had a few glitches, but you have to expect that when you travel and roll with the punches. My granddaughter took all of it in stride. It helped that she spent down time on an iPad, but still we were pleased that she was good with it all. The whole trip was great fun for her, and she was engaged all the time, which was all we had hoped for!

Return to “The Lounge”