Hijack this thread

kate520

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Ya know, I’m just disillusioned by this whole mess. What HCR (above) wrote was what I learned at my daddy’s knee, that Republicans were evil and only thought of themselves. His exposure to them was first through his family - his father disowned him for admiring Roosevelt - and then in California politics during the era of Nixon and his state ratfckers and beyond. The Permanent Republican Majority of the sniveling Gingrich days is within reach. Unless the blue wave is a tsunami that firmly establishes control in Congress in November, I’ve read, Republicans could control Congress indefinitely.

My own experiences with Republicans in younger days weren’t in the political realm like Dad’s, just regular folks mostly, saving the world one case of beer, one softball game at a time. Dad was in it daily, his disdain for people he considered indecent human beings scared me. I often accused him of being a snob.

John Schmidt, the card-carrying John Bircher in the CA lege in the 80s (and father to Mary Kaye LeTourneau ;) ), was a loud man who raged against Democrats, communists, and Gloria Allred because she was a feminist, before she became a media wh - excuse me - darling. His son and I played on a softball team. We drank beer. We talked policy, not politics, I guess. He was reasonable, not a shrieking pterodactyl like his dad. Maybe everyone was mellow in the 80s, maybe my attention was elsewhere, maybe they were already turning into full-throated reactionaries. I didn’t see it then. Now, I see Dad was right. One of those flips has occurred where a party no longer stands for what it did. Like Republican Abraham Lincoln would be a Dem now.

Today’s members are exactly the same as those he knew growing up just before, during and after the Great Depression. His father was an engineer who built bridges and dams and drained the Okeefenokee, an “elite” who didn’t suffer as much as some others. The talk around the dinner table made him sick, Dad told me. No compassion for those who lost everything, even from his mom, a nurse. They were lesser, and deserved it. These Republicans more or less shut up for a while because things were good, but they still want now what they wanted then: All the money for themselves, government to protect them from us miserable people.

Looking back, I see lots of progress made by reasonable legislators, mainly Democratic administrations, who are long gone. Many people are happy, freer, and that’s very good. But not necessarily better off financially than they were 25 years ago. Looking ahead, if “Trumpism” isn’t stopped, I see an isolated America with few trading partners, manufacturing charging head with gutted environmental regulations ready to bring back the choking smog of the pre-80s sensibilities, with steel smelters,and coal-fired plants belching carbon darkness into our skies. The income disparities, ICE, I won’t go on, although you know I could.

The Mercer CA revelations are what have particularly set me off this time. Lying weasels want to change the world order because they don’t like Democracy. It’s inefficient and messy. Aren’t we all.

I used to be a Pollyannna. I still am, in the sense that whatever happens, I know I will survive. Even this shall pass away and all that. I’m no longer as sanguine about the chances that the country won’t go through upheavals and paroxysms. It’s been the plan for a long time.

If you sigh and Tl;dr, I will totally understand.
I really need a vacation. :bag:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm

I get you, kate. FWIW, I can see from your posts that even though you're struggling, you're keeping your balance. I'm sure Sprout and the many other good things in your life help with that. And I like your idea of a vacation, even if it's just planning one for the future. Keep hangin' in there, kiddo!

As for me, we're moving to California at the end of the month and all the chaos that involves has actually been a blessing in many ways. I find I'm grateful that my personal drama is keeping me from obsessing over things I hate but cannot change, at least for now.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm

June bug wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm
I get you, kate. FWIW, I can see from your posts that even though you're struggling, you're keeping your balance. I'm sure Sprout and the many other good things in your life help with that. And I like your idea of a vacation, even if it's just planning one for the future. Keep hangin' in there, kiddo!

As for me, we're moving to California at the end of the month and all the chaos that involves has actually been a blessing in many ways. I find I'm grateful that my personal drama is keeping me from obsessing over things I hate but cannot change, at least for now.
:bighug: Neighbor!

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm
June bug wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm
:snippity:
As for me, we're moving to California at the end of the month.
:bighug: Neighbor!
Yes indeed! :bighug: We'll be in SoCal, looks like somewhere around the Oceanside area. We've got a temporary rental there that, miracle of miracles, took our two cats! ( :taunt: :sterngard: )

I'm really hoping for at least a SoCal get together sometime this year!! :bar:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Two cats? :shock: :nooo: :swoon:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Yay June bug, moving to SoCal!! :bunny: Meetup for sure, but wait until after the end of August. I’m traveling all over this summer.

(Because my baby chick was born on June 1 and she’s cute as a bug, I named her Junebug. :bighug:)

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm
What? Only two cats? California's a big state.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
The only good cat is a
► Show Spoiler

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm
Yay June bug, moving to SoCal!! :bunny: Meetup for sure, but wait until after the end of August. I’m traveling all over this summer.

(Because my baby chick was born on June 1 and she’s cute as a bug, I named her Junebug. :bighug:)
Awww, kate, that's really sweet. :bighug: Hope you named another cute one Katydid! ;)

After August, maybe even after September, is the earliest for us too. When we get there, our first, last and only priority is to find, buy and settle into a permanent house. Once that's done though, we'll be ready!! :thumbs:

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
That's right. Beware, Stern!!
Pull up the drawbridge, call out the hounds! Two cats are coming to your state!!! :panic:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
The only good cat is a
► Show Spoiler
Cisco should feel honored...until he arrives in California.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Speaking of Cisco - I'm behind again, has anyone heard from Tollie? Is Cisco back home? I sure hope so!! :lol: Maybe that's why we haven't heard from Tollie, Cisco won't get off his lap!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Help.

Back in the 1980s I belonged to a global organization that published bimonthly or quarterly reports and an annual book-sized report on topics like the environment, population, water, etc. They were pretty scholarly but readable. “World” may have been in the organization’s name. They weren’t especially political, but I think they were progressively leaning. Can anyone remember the name and tell me if they still exist? I wish I still had all those reports.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm
Help.

Back in the 1980s I belonged to a global organization that published bimonthly or quarterly reports and an annual book-sized report on topics like the environment, population, water, etc. They were pretty scholarly but readable. “World” may have been in the organization’s name. They weren’t especially political, but I think they were progressively leaning. Can anyone remember the name and tell me if they still exist? I wish I still had all those reports.
As a librarian, I beg you, we're gonna need a bunch more information to identify this publication. Can you recall the name of any of the writers who were published (as many as possible)? The titles of articles or of the reports (ditto)? If you have even one copy of any of those reports left in your attic it would identify the organization and such and enable someone to find the rest of the reports!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm
Help.

As a librarian, I beg you, we're gonna need a bunch more information to identify this publication. Can you recall the name of any of the writers who were published (as many as possible)? The titles of articles or of the reports (ditto)? If you have even one copy of any of those reports left in your attic it would identify the organization and such and enable someone to find the rest of the reports!
No, I don’t have anything. I just want the name of the organization to see if they still exist and publish. My memory banks are currently depleted.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm

The Whole Earth Catalog spun off a quarterly...coEvolution Quarterly. Is that it?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

I wish I could describe it better. It had a name with World or Council and was like a Society. It’s been so long since I subscribed. Reports had plain, almost craft papery covers. My memory! :brickwallsmall:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm
I wish I could describe it better. It had a name with World or Council and was like a Society. It’s been so long since I subscribed. Reports had plain, almost craft papery covers. My memory! :brickwallsmall:
Pacific Institute?

OECD?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm
Pacific Institute?

OECD?
Good guesses, but nothing economic.

It came to me that the annual report was called The State of the World.

Which led me to the Worldwatch Institute. http://www.worldwatch.org

That's it!

Time to see what I've missed in 20 to 30 years . . .

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Sekrit Stuffs!
83105C52-DC8E-4518-865F-299CB0CBB593.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 am

So I am in Birmingham MICHIGAN for a wedding. Leave my hotel room and there’s a city cop hanging in the hallway. I get off the elevator in the lobby and am yelled at by the Secret Service until the hotel manager assured them I am a guest at hotel. Place is crawling with Secret Service in flak vests and suits. Of course they wouldn’t say why they are here but wouldn’t deny Pence is the VIP.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am

Some nerve, yelling at Tex! :boxing:

¡Sterngard! come home.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 am

Addie wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am
Some nerve, yelling at Tex! :boxing:
Scared the shit out of me!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 am

Bastards!

Could we get Larry Klayman to bring a hurt feelings lawsuit?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:12 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 am
Bastards!

Could we get Larry Klayman to bring a hurt feelings lawsuit?
:fingerwag:

Return to “The Lounge”