Hijack this thread

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

Thank you. Now if I could get the record from IAD to LAX I would be most appreciative.

GG - are you a member? Can you unlock these sekrits for us?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 18, 2018 10:27 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am
Thank you. Now if I could get the record from IAD to LAX I would be most appreciative.

GG - are you a member? Can you unlock these sekrits for us?
It kept saying "no records" on a search of Dulles to Los Angeles.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks. Dulles is a couple hundred airmiles closer to LAX than JFK so 4 hours is do-able.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri May 18, 2018 2:36 pm

These are East to West flights if I read this cofrectly. My experience in flights to Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego, and Los Angeles has never been that good. The captain's usual explanation has been "powerful headwinds." I have had speedy flights West to East if the jet stream was helpfully positioned. This becomes a noticeable issue with flights to Asia and from Europe. Sometimes I have wondered if the pilot is trying to conserve fuel.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri May 18, 2018 6:44 pm

A report about my house. I was there again today. The disaster recovery firm is nearing completion of its major job. All the flooring has been replaced. The 25 year old white carpeting is now a light grey One-three layers of wal!paper have been peeled off each wall and the walls painted. (Was wallpaper really big in the Reagan years?). The bathrooms are being redone and new tile installed. The septic tank was always in good shape; pipes were not. Fixed. In many ways the house that I bought in 2000 is renewed. i put on a new architectural shingles roof last year.

Cisco will be happy. The blasted house put me in the hospital (I suspect), but it may be worth it. The insurer would not agree. My spirits are improving.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:44 pm
A report about my house. I was there again today. The disaster recovery firm is nearing completion of its major job. All the flooring has been replaced. The 25 year old white carpeting is now a light grey One-three layers of wal!paper have been peeled off each wall and the walls painted. (Was wallpaper really big in the Reagan years?). The bathrooms are being redone and new tile installed. The septic tank was always in good shape; pipes were not. Fixed. In many ways the house that I bought in 2000 is renewed. i put on a new architectural shingles roof last year.

Cisco will be happy. The blasted house put me in the hospital (I suspect), but it may be worth it. The insurer would not agree. My spirits are improving.
:banana: :cheer1: :cheer: :happydance: Going home with Cisco!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Glad you will get back into your house, Tollie.

(PS: Whatever went wrong, the cat did it.)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 am

Great news, TollandRCR!

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief. And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm
GreatGrey - in the late 1970s I took a 747 (probably American which was then my airline of choice) from IAD to LAX (I think; could have been JFK to LAX) and the pilot told us we had broken the commercial airline speed record from east to west for a continental flight. Exactly 4 hours. I've never been able to find any info on that flight or the record anywhere on the Intertoobz. Do you have access?
Http://naa.aero

Under the records tab. I can get more detailed info if ya let me know which one you’re interested in.

Looks like all the East-West stuff was set in th early ‘60s.
I guess a new generation of commercial planes getting to fly at higher altitudes and whoshed away by the jet stream?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 19, 2018 6:55 am

Ol' Wifehorn has been watching the royal wedding since 5:00 am. "This is probably the last royal wedding I'll ever see!"

images.jpg

My next royal wedding will be my first. :blink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief. And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 am

It's on at our house.

We have to be up and it's the only thing worth watching.

They have nice weather for it today.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat May 19, 2018 7:29 am

Pull the plug on this guy's mic already.

He's gone way past the point where he should have stopped

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat May 19, 2018 7:33 am

I passed the British Citizenship test without studying. I wonder why the two most pressing issues here in the States, gun violence and healthcare costs, aren't a problem over there. :think:

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat May 19, 2018 7:37 am

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat May 19, 2018 7:47 am

What's going on? Who?

I got a lawn to mow.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 am

Bill_G wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:47 am
What's going on? Who?

I got a lawn to mow.
So do I. I'm hemmed in. Too early and the neighbors will be PO-ed at me. Too late and I'll get rained out. MsDaisy: I need to borrow your rider.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 19, 2018 8:45 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:37 am
BBC Three wins Twitter today.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 19, 2018 9:41 am

Meghan Markle and Barack Obama have the same birthday, Aug. 4.

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 am

Foggy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:41 am
Meghan Markle and Barack Obama have the same birthday, Aug. 4.
Yeah, we're going to need some proof of that. FOOTIES.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am

Chilidog wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:29 am

So, you think Harry and Meghan hadn’t seen every word that was to be spoken at their wedding beforehand? How quaint.

He was fabulous. He was infused with spirit and genuine feeling. And you think they should have cut his mic? What the hell is the matter with you?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am
Chilidog wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:29 am

So, you think Harry and Meghan hadn’t seen every word that was to be spoken at their wedding beforehand? How quaint.

He was fabulous. He was infused with spirit and genuine feeling. And you think they should have cut his mic? What the hell is the matter with you?
I hate long sermons.

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat May 19, 2018 10:55 am

My friends lists on fb and twitter loved the sermon, nearly unanimously of those who heard it, with enough enthusiasm that I'll check it out later for sure.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 am

I could listen to that bishop for several sermons of that length. He was sincere, funny, and inspiring. Plus, his message was the core message of Christianity, one which sometimes gets submerged in lectures about rules and complaints about society: love ye one another. It well fits a wedding, but it also fits every person in that chapel.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am

I watched - it was a lovely wedding. Her dress was gorgeous, simple & elegant (& what a tiara!) & the two of them looked so happy. I *loved* all the African-American touches throughout the ceremony - it was quite clear that this wedding was for them & I loved every minute of it (even the long speech). I'm a sucker for royal weddings. That said, I'm wiped.

Why? Because I took three 12yo boys to Randy Rainbow last night (we got to meet him & he gave my [honorary] nephew Reid one of his pairs of pink cateyes! :shock: :shock: Reid is beyond thrilled). It was probably the best live event I've ever been to - fabulous from start to finish. We were out until 10:30 then I woke up at 3:30 worried I'd miss the wedding. :?

I trundled around the corner to my bestie Jen's house at 4:30 & she, Reid, & I watched every minute of coverage from then on, complete with gluten free scones, strawberry jam, clotted cream & running fashion commentary from Jen & me (with asides from Reid). It was a lovely way to spend the morning but I have officially hit the wall. I can't remember when I was last this tired (but what a 24 hours I've had!).

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am
I watched - it was a lovely wedding. Her dress was gorgeous, simple & elegant (& what a tiara!) & the two of them looked so happy.

:snippity: I took three 12yo boys to Randy Rainbow last night (we got to meet him & he gave my [honorary] nephew Reid one of his pairs of pink cateyes! :shock: :shock: Reid is beyond thrilled). It was probably the best live event I've ever been to - fabulous from start to finish. We were out until 10:30 then I woke up at 3:30 worried I'd miss the wedding. :?
Grrl-

Wow! What a time you've had!!!!!!! I am trying to get Randy to come to Memphis or Little Rock.

The dress was the perfect background for that veil!!! And I am not a veil fan.

An interesting historical note about Meghan's veil - when Queen Elizabeth was crowned her DRESS had representative floral embroidery.
Ordered in October 1952, it took eight months of research, design and workmanship to make the intricate embroidery of her coronation gown. It featured the floral emblems of the countries of the United Kingdom and those of the other states within the Commonwealth of Nations, including the English Tudor rose, Scots thistle, Welsh leek, Irish shamrock, Canadian maple leaf, Australian wattle, New Zealand silver fern, South African protea, Indian lotus flower for India, the Lotus flower of Ceylon, and Pakistan's wheat, cotton, and jute.[1][2]. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronat ... izabeth_II

This new bride has class! Her mama looked good too.

Meghan and Harry, like Will and Kate, look like they love each other.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Return to “The Lounge”