Hijack this thread

vic

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by vic » Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 am
GreatGrey wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 pm
so... I had a weekend trip to Korea. Left home Saturday night, back home Monday afternoon.

Set some records I did.

On the flight over I set the World Record for Speed Over A Commercial Air Route. Took the record away from a UPS pilot who had held it since 1996. The new record is Anchorage to Seoul, 7 hours 43 minutes.

And then on the return flight we had a ‘technical problem’ that required an immediate return to the airport, no time to go off somewhere and dump fuel. So on that one I set a personal record for the heaviest I’ve ever landed a plane, 814,200 pounds.

Just a weekend outing.
When you have to dump fuel, where do you go? Is it just over an uninhabited area or a lake or something? I don't remember ever seeing a news report about X gallons of fuel being dumped by an airplane, but our DEQ reports if an accident causes a diesel spill on the highway. I'm guessing you would have to dump a lot more than an 18 wheeler tank can hold.
In the late '70s I was on a DC-10 flight from IIRC Rochester NY (it could have been Buffalo) to Los Angeles where we were going to make an emergency landing in Chicago. We circled over Lake Michigan and dumped fuel.

At the same time, the crew was in contact with McDonnell Douglas and they managed to resolve the problem, so they decided to continue to Los Angeles. But based on the route we took for the last hour or two, we were a bit low on fuel by then.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu May 17, 2018 10:56 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 am

When you have to dump fuel, where do you go? Is it just over an uninhabited area or a lake or something? I don't remember ever seeing a news report about X gallons of fuel being dumped by an airplane, but our DEQ reports if an accident causes a diesel spill on the highway. I'm guessing you would have to dump a lot more than an 18 wheeler tank can hold.
Yep, you got it. It’s not always depicted on the charts, but most big airports and military fields have fuel dumping areas. Sometimes though they might have populated areas under them, the idea is to dump at high enough altitude that the fuel disperses before reaching the ground. Worked good in the old days with aviation gasoline which would evaporate, not so good with jet fuel.

As far as quantity, yeah we carry a lot. Fully loaded it’s close to 60,000 gallons, depends on the temperature and fuel density. In our event we would have had to dump about 25,000 gallons to get down to the certified max landing weight, which would have taken a lot of time. We didn’t have the luxury of spare time so we elected to forgo the dumping and land overweight.

Back to dumping areas, a few years 'ago one of our planes had a problem right after takeoff from Everet, Washington. The crew said they had to dump, and expected to be run out over the ocean to do it. Instead the controllers just gave them radar vectors to avoid inbound traffic to Seattle and they dumped at 5000 feet. The ground track is... um... weird.
230278B0-20F9-4F34-90E7-184550D67923.jpeg
8E2D3C1C-ACDF-4078-9EF4-5E90FFA79142.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

Continuing the thread jack from Mueller's rapidly escalating investigation of Trump, because I'm a good girl and role model. :blink:

You like Trump because he gives people like us the vapors, Mr. Bean? If I may ask, is that why you come here? To poke us? Pretty childish, considering.

I'm ignoring you, too. Soon there won't be many left to poke, sir.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 am

To continue about NYC languages from the Lawyers Behaving Badly thread-

The 3rd mostly commonly spoken language in every NYC neighborhood-

Kru is a family of languages spoken in parts of Liberia and the Ivory Coast.

For linguistic diversity you can't beat Brooklyn and Queens-

Almost forgot Staten Island-

Slightly related fun fact. I have mentioned the Polish farmers who came to the North Fork of LI in large numbers in the early years of the 20th Century. When I first started going out to the North Fork in the 1970's bank ATM's offered a choice of three languages, English, Spanish and Polish. Now, over 40 years later, the Polish speakers have passed on and the Polish language is no longer offered.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu May 17, 2018 12:06 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am
Continuing the thread jack from Mueller's rapidly escalating investigation of Trump, because I'm a good girl and role model. :blink:

You like Trump because he gives people like us the vapors, Mr. Bean? If I may ask, is that why you come here? To poke us? Pretty childish, considering.

Its an interesting thing, bieng somewhere just to annoy the "other" team. If you like, there are people who are "progressive" just to piss off Cardinals. Or to piss off The Klu Klux Klan. The problem is that if you are doing that you have to own the fact that you are on the same side as other people who might not be very nice either. For example, I'm pro-gun control. That puts me on the same side as, for example, Piers Morgan, a walking trail of Snot. Do I like that? Nope, but I own it. On this issue we are alligned.

JRB puts himself on the same side as David Duke and Richard Spencer. Will he own that?

This is "the Liberal Redneck talking about it. And, I'll be honest with you, I've been to the South and I love it too. The people are great.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

I see the joke went right over your head. Perhaps if you read one of the prior posts ... no, never mind.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm

My great-grandmother (whom I adored) and - father (whom I never met) came to San Francisco from Italy at the turn of the previous century, speaking no English. They immediately began to work. Nonni Maria cleaned homes and offices. Giuseppe first worked for then owned a small trash hauling company near the Cow Palace. They worked very hard; often, for Nonni, until the wee hours, as she had to wait until everyone had gone home from the offices to start her job.

Then, as my Uncle puts it, fortune smiled on them and sent an earthquake. :roll: Giuseppe's was the only trash company still standing at the end of it, and they cleaned up the city.

My Nonni died when I was 12. She was 96. She still didn't speak English, and still worked harder than she needed to every day. They left their family valuable real estate. Screw those hate-blinded assholes who don't contribute half of what their ancestors did to this country every single day.

Oh, and most of their ancestors were neither legal nor illegal, they just came. I seriously doubt any of them would have said 'Oh, it's illegal for us to be there, we shouldn't go' if there had been similar laws in place.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Also , congrats, some guy upthread :mrgreen: Great Grey, on your world and personal records!!! I hope your record lasts aslong as the last guy's. :bighug:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm

She is almost certainly going to enter a larger stage soon.
Danraft, someone should remind Dana Loesch of the old saying "he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword". She projects enough intense hatred now, if she "perfects" this schtick she may trigger someone unstable.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 am
... as opposed to Texas which only offers English, Spanish, and Illiterate.

:rotflmao:

(I crack myself up sometimes)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm
Volkonski wrote:
... as opposed to Texas which only offers English, Spanish, and Illiterate twang.

Careful, Bill. My grandbabies live in Texas!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm

GreatGrey - in the late 1970s I took a 747 (probably American which was then my airline of choice) from IAD to LAX (I think; could have been JFK to LAX) and the pilot told us we had broken the commercial airline speed record from east to west for a continental flight. Exactly 4 hours. I've never been able to find any info on that flight or the record anywhere on the Intertoobz. Do you have access?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu May 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm
Volkonski wrote:
... as opposed to Texas which only offers English, Spanish, and Illiterate.

Well,
As the state's demographics shift, the number of languages spoken in Texas households is growing — up to 164 in the last U.S. Census count. So are the challenges associated with providing educational services to an increasingly diverse state population.

Of the 23.7 million people in Texas who are five years of age or older, more than a third speak a language other than English at home. A large majority of those — almost 85 percent — speak Spanish. But changing immigration patterns are increasing the number of other foreign languages spoken in Texas households, from Vietnamese and Chinese to Tagalog, the language spoken in the Philippines.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/11/26 ... xas-homes/

As of 2013 the top 10 languages other than English in Texas were-

Spanish 6,983,380 speakers
Vietnamese 193,408
Chinese* 140,971
Tagalog 72,248
German 69,140
French 60,730
Hindi 59,602
Urdu 57,662
Korean 55,794
Arabic 55,304

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Once again I ask: Does anyone know what happened to SUI JURIS FORUM? It vanished about 4 weeks ago. Now my search engine tells me its IP address doesn't exist anymore.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm

U.S. population in year I was born: 183.69 million
U.S. population today: Just under 328 million
:shock:

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 pm

The ineluctability of demographics and the remaining pig-headed "opposition" to them plays a huge part in what is happening in the US as the white population grows older and smaller, as in other developed Western countries, and in Japan...The last death throes of Nativism?

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm
GreatGrey - in the late 1970s I took a 747 (probably American which was then my airline of choice) from IAD to LAX (I think; could have been JFK to LAX) and the pilot told us we had broken the commercial airline speed record from east to west for a continental flight. Exactly 4 hours. I've never been able to find any info on that flight or the record anywhere on the Intertoobz. Do you have access?
Http://naa.aero

Under the records tab. I can get more detailed info if ya let me know which one you’re interested in.

Looks like all the East-West stuff was set in th early ‘60s.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Once again I ask: Does anyone know what happened to SUI JURIS FORUM? It vanished about 4 weeks ago. Now my search engine tells me its IP address doesn't exist anymore.
Whois lookup says the domain renewal is in a grace period. Could be they let the renewal lapse deliberately (walked away). Could be they're working on it, maybe working on paying for it, or trying to find their registration information that they need in order to access their account in order to pay for the renewal. Could be there's an internal power struggle going on between parties laying claim to the domain and forum. All we can do is guess.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm
U.S. population in year I was born: 183.69 million
U.S. population today: Just under 328 million
:shock:
You've been busy!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm
Http://naa.aero

Under the records tab. I can get more detailed info if ya let me know which one you’re interested in.

Looks like all the East-West stuff was set in th early ‘60s.
I can't figure out how to navigate the site. Can you pilot me?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 18, 2018 8:31 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 am

I can't figure out how to navigate the site. Can you pilot me?
A little help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am

Bill_G - thanks but I am trying to figure out what the record is from rotation to touchdown, coast to coast. I was told in the late 1970s I was on the plane (a 747) that set the record, east to west, at exactly 4 hours. Was that true?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am
Bill_G - thanks but I am trying to figure out what the record is from rotation to touchdown, coast to coast. I was told in the late 1970s I was on the plane (a 747) that set the record, east to west, at exactly 4 hours. Was that true?
According to these records, no.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am

Bill_G wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am
According to these records, no.
What is the fastest time for such an east-west commercial flight? And when was it? Can you tell from these data?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am

What is the fastest time for such an east-west commercial flight? And when was it? Can you tell from these data?
Ah. Got it. They put limits on non-member searches. But, the commercial flight New York to Los Angeles record is 4hrs 19min. It just won't tell me the date. See image.

Return to “The Lounge”