Volkonski

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:17 pm

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
2h2 hours ago
More
College student dies after falling off a cliff in the Ozark Mountains while reportedly re-positioning herself for a photo.
lately it seems that a lot of people have been falling to their deaths while trying to take photos. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:17 pm
NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
2h2 hours ago
More
College student dies after falling off a cliff in the Ozark Mountains while reportedly re-positioning herself for a photo.
lately it seems that a lot of people have been falling to their deaths while trying to take photos. :(
They try to get the Darwin award.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm

If those are the candles I think they are, they originated with the Disney Imagineers.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Those are a new design of battery-powered candle, where there is a flame-shaped metal fin balanced on a wire, and a tiny magnetic coil is fed random pulses which perturb the fin, setting it to randomly wobbling. The fin reflects a strong LED light, somehow bouncing off both sides, so from the front it seems to be a candle flame (which are actually surprisingly white... many battery candles are much too yellow) and in back dancing glints are cast onto whatever they sit in front of.

Of course, I discovered the new design a month after buying 120 of the old type. They just flicker the LED behind the walls of a real wax "candle." Nice, but hardly any light comes out. I used those at the organ:

IMG_6165.jpeg
You can see how much brighter the new ones are.

Viz.:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm
Those are a new design of battery-powered candle, where there is a flame-shaped metal fin balanced on a wire, and a tiny magnetic coil is fed random pulses which perturb the fin, setting it to randomly wobbling. The fin reflects a strong LED light, somehow bouncing off both sides, so from the front it seems to be a candle flame (which are actually surprisingly white... many battery candles are much too yellow) and in back dancing glints are cast onto whatever they sit in front of.

Of course, I discovered the new design a month after buying 120 of the old type. They just flicker the LED behind the walls of a real wax "candle." Nice, but hardly any light comes out. I used those at the organ:

IMG_6165.jpeg

You can see how much brighter the new ones are.

Viz.:
Very cool, but that's a lot of buttons for one candle remote. And does each candle have a remote?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 pm

No, they are all tuned to same frequency. Each type, that is. The old ones have a different remote, but all of the same type (even from different suppliers) respond to the same remote.

The timers are a cool feature for theatrical use... if I set them for 8 hrs. at 3pm, they will run until 11 pm and shut down, but then start another 8 hr. shift at 3 the next day, until you tell them not to. 3-11 covers evening shows and the 4pm matinee on Sunday.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

tek

Post by tek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:55 pm

computers in our candles.. .
d-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

tek

Post by tek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:11 pm

New word from the MSNBC Talking Heads just now: "trepidatious"

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm

I would like to thank my pretend boyfriend, estiveo, my pretend girlfriend, maybenaut (mr520 is ok with both), and the Hot Tomato for coming to my defense on Twitter. I’ve been banned YET AGAIN, this time for 6 days. Both suspensions involved the exact same words discussing the exact same person, but neither time was Tomi mentioned directly. Either there’s a ban list and she insisted ‘blonde bimbo’ be on it because who else would we be talking about, right? Or she is a paper-thin-skinned blonde bimbo who thinks a Twitter nobody is committing hate speech for expressing her considered opinion of the sound of her voice. :roll:
Those of you who are on twitter will see how innocuous this is, or you’ll tell me um, well, no, it’s not really innocuous:

‘What is that hard-edged whining sound? Did a blonde bimbo just say something?’ In response to a video of her speaking some bullshit. I didn’t @ her, I didn’t mention her name, and it was instantaneous. After posting my comment, when I tried to move on I’d been banned. It’s so stupid, too. After the first ban, I blocked her and muted her and went out of my way to stay away from any mentions of the toxic little bitch.

Have you ever tried to contest a twitter action? It’s not possible. Deliberately. Oh, sure, they have a page with links to contact them when you’re in the soup, but they don’t work. How do they know I wasn’t talking about Bimbo Brands? They’re big here in LA.

I don’t understand, but I also don’t care all that much. The whole world has gone all pear-shaped, what’s one more thing. I can still read and see Poppy’s Puppies and Tank Schottle’s posts, and the boyfriend and the girlfriend and the Tomato. I’m good for keeping my mouth shut for 6.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Fuck sake.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:16 pm

I'ma try a little experiment. BRB.

Image Image Image Image Image

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Okay. I have tweeted the below image in response to pTomaine Lahar at least a dozen times without consequence over the last year or so.

A few minutes ago I tweeted it adding the key words blond bimbo.

Let's see what happens. :popcorn:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm

My high school class is having a reunion this year. :)

Of course they have a webpage about it. Been reading some of the posts. Surprised to learn that over 30 members of the class have passed away already. There were about 240 in the class so that's about 13%.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm

My class was very small - 39. Four have died which leaves it at 10.2 percent. One was a Type I diabetic and I don't think she made it to age 40. I don't recall what happened to another who died under the age of 40. None of the four made it to age 60.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Estevio!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm
Estevio!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:thankyou:

In the interest of scientific accuracy, I also made a couple other tweets as "controls" to see which, if any, triggered a suspension.

So far? Nada.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Was just here an ‘e’ at the end of any blond? Try the blonde variation.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm
Was just here an ‘e’ at the end of any blond? Try the blonde variation.
In the interest of science...

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 am

So, I just got an update on my suspension: I reported myself!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

‘Thank you for your report. We’ve reviewed the tweet and it violates our policy on hateful conduct.’

What kind of crazy algorithm is that? No, I did not report this tweet. I reported one last week by someone else, but never heard back about that one.

Twitter sucks.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 am

Told ya so :P
kate520 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 am

Twitter sucks.

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:02 am

kate520 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 am
So, I just got an update on my suspension: I reported myself!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

‘Thank you for your report. We’ve reviewed the tweet and it violates our policy on hateful conduct.’

What kind of crazy algorithm is that? No, I did not report this tweet. I reported one last week by someone else, but never heard back about that one.

Twitter sucks.
Okay, but that is hilarious.

You probably hit something in your flailing rage or something :mrgreen:

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am

And so far, the only result of my twitter experiment has been a lovely response to the blonde with an "e" post from the fake Stern account:
Screenshot_20190417_043443.jpg
I'd ignored it, but it's gotten annoying enough to block now.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 am

I'm trying to decide which is more thrilling: working in the train tunnel, or walking the perimeter of PDX.

The Robertson train tunnel in Portland has two bores each about 3 miles long, with a dozen cross passages between them at approx 1500 foot intervals, plus a passenger platform to the zoo about midway. You get to walk the tunnel to perform comm maintenance. The walkway is immediately adjacent to the trackway placing the moving trains inches away from you as they pass at speed. Some obey the slow order for personnel in the tunnel, and some don't. So, you lean into the wall, brace yourself, and plug your ears. When a train enters a bore, it becomes a piston moving the air in front of it which you feel immediately. As it approaches, the wind velocity and ferocity increase with debris and dust flying at you. After it passes, there is a negative pressure tugging at your hat and jacket that wanes as the train recedes in the distance. There's a train every five minutes. So, this process repeats throughout the workday. Definitely thrilling.

Yesterday, I got to compare that experience with walking the perimeter of PDX flight line to collect signal strength data points as part of the due diligence ahead of the next phase of a major remodel at the airport. I think PDX was a bit more "thrilling", certainly louder, and a lot longer by about a dozen miles. The aircraft were not as close as trains. They just felt like it. I started at 7am and completed it by 1630. I had to pack everything in. All the automated test equipment was in a back pack along with some food and water. There were a few discrete places I could evacuate my bladder. I dressed for the weather (light showers, mid 50's, with sun breaks), and wore good boots. I had a radio warning me about approaches and takeoffs so I could croutch down, though my SIT-WAR was high, and like the tunnel, you knew when something was coming by. The wind wasn't bad. I didn't get pummeled by prop wash or jet exhaust, or even FOD as they went by. It was just LOUD. Really really really .... LOUD.

But, I slept good last night. No aches some Tylenol couldn't deal with. I'll be downloading the data and generating reports from the comfort of my office today.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 am

Estiveo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am
And so far, the only result of my twitter experiment has been a lovely response to the blonde with an "e" post from the fake Stern account:
Screenshot_20190417_043443.jpg
I'd ignored it, but it's gotten annoying enough to block now.
Who is that guy? He followed me and I followed him back before I looked at his profile then immefiately realized he was a troll so I unfollowed him.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 am

I have my suspicions, and MikeDunford seems to be pretty sure he knows. If you consider former members here who had a particular hard-on against both me and Stern you might just narrow it down.

Think nazi pedophile.

Return to “The Lounge”