verbalobe wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm
That's way cool, tek! Keep us updated.
:yeah:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Jez

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Jez » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

For the IAAL's on the board, is Findlaw a good source to begin searching for an attorney? The court date on the eviction is coming up (8/21) and if the toddler files a countersuit (which she has done in past I have found out with a little digging) I want to be prepared.

We have a ton of evidence supporting the fact she didn't pay the agreed upon rent. Along with things that have gone missing, damage to things, etc. So, I'm pretty confident we will prevail (98%... but I like to plan for worst case, just to be prepared). So, I was going to do a bit of searching and narrow down the lawyer type peoples to about 4 or 5, just in case we need them.

If y'all know a better source, or even better know any good lawyers in the Dayton/Cincinnati area, please let me know. :)

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Jez wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm
For the IAAL's on the board, is Findlaw a good source to begin searching for an attorney? The court date on the eviction is coming up (8/21) and if the toddler files a countersuit (which she has done in past I have found out with a little digging) I want to be prepared.

We have a ton of evidence supporting the fact she didn't pay the agreed upon rent. Along with things that have gone missing, damage to things, etc. So, I'm pretty confident we will prevail (98%... but I like to plan for worst case, just to be prepared). So, I was going to do a bit of searching and narrow down the lawyer type peoples to about 4 or 5, just in case we need them.

If y'all know a better source, or even better know any good lawyers in the Dayton/Cincinnati area, please let me know. :)
I suggest you look for lawyers with landlord/tenant experience on martindale.com. The lawyers are peer rated and client rated.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm
Jez wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I suggest you look for lawyers with landlord/tenant experience on martindale.com. The lawyers are peer rated and client rated.
Stay away from avvo. It’s a pay-to-play rating. If the lawyer doesn’t pay, they get 3 stars. At least that’s how it was when I threatened to take them to court if they didn’t remove my name from their website, but I haven’t checked it lately.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Chisago County Sheriff's Deputies rescue women stuck on inflatable rainbow unicorn

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 pm

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 pm

I watched it last night. Excellent program!!!

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 pm

tek wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 pm
So.. My dad (currently 87 years old) builds and flies Radio Control model airplanes..
He's spent a lot of his retirement years teaching others to build and fly model airplanes, and in particular getting somewhat-troubled high-school kids hooked. He's got a fan club of probably 40 or so of these former 'kids' who were going nowhere who are now either commercial pilots or aeronautical engineers..

But that is not what this is about.

This spring, he decided he wanted to recreate his FIRST radio control model.
Circa 1966.
The radios back then were not these fancy things with joysticks etc... they had one button. Which could click an escapement in the plane, which could only control the rudder, center-left-center-right-center-left- etc.

He managed to dig up a transmitter and receiver, and it fell to me to get them back into flying shape.. in the mean time, he managed to dig up the plans for the exact plane, and he's built it..

We're getting close. Did the first system integration this week.

P1290253.jpg
Very, very cool! Looking forward to the results :)

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:07 pm

I just wrote a letter to my state rep. It's currently with the D for her input. Why, you may ask? Because it involves the current situation we are in.

The Ohio Revised Code does not have any kind of provision for single room renters (lodgers) and everyone is pretty much treated as if they are renting a separate dwelling. That is why it will take 30+ days to get B's ass out of here.

So, I had to do something constructive or I would end up a quivering mass of jelly. I copy/pasted the relevant chapter (5321 if anyone is interested) and did some edits in red italic text, inserting language/provisions for lodgers that is different from tenants of separate dwellings. I even added a separate definition for a lodger.

I'll be sending that over to my state rep and probably senator to see if we could possibly get something done to make a provision for lodging. I explained in the letter how difficult the living situation has been over the last month. It has to be easier and/or quicker to get people out of your house if you are just renting a room to them.

And no, D is never going to do this again. If she decides she wants to have someone rent that room, it will be with a full background check, credit check, and anything else I can think of. Also, the last three places they lived for references. And I am banning Craigslist at her router. I think I can do that. If I can't, I'll hack it.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:00 am

39229026_2344408408906573_9109124764319875072_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

vic

Post by vic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:20 pm

tencats

Post by tencats » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Oh boy!
In today's news is the very sad report that the remains believed to be that of Mollie Tibbetts was found in a cornfield near her hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa. I've been following this story hoping that Molly would be found alive although with each passing day I knew that it was becoming more and more likely that she would found deceased. Now comes the news that an undocumented immigrant from Mexico has been charged in connection with the disappearance of Mollie. This I fully expect will ignite a firestorm coming from the right against any immagration reforms.

Read about it here 11 minutes ago.
Mollie Tibbetts: Immigrant charged with first-degree murder https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45262521

Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations special agent Rick Rahn said in a press conference Mr Rivera is an undocumented immigrant from Mexico.

Mr Rivera allegedly saw Ms Tibbetts running and followed her before he says he "blacked out".

"I can't speak about the motive," Mr Rahn told reporters.

"I can just tell you that it seemed that he followed her, seemed to be drawn to her on that particular day, for whatever reason he chose to abduct her."

Mr Rahn said Mr Rivera was "very compliant" and willing to talk, and said that he led police to her body.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45262521
RIP Mollie

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-608276 ... rn_rm=als1

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:14 pm

I don't work in a particularly large division, since over the years we've restructured and outsourced to the point where a 120-plus person division has shrunk to fewer than forty.

Even so, this has been a simply unprecedented year in terms of retirements. We just had the official announcement for the thirteenth person to retire, and unofficially I know of two others that will be retiring before the end of the year.

These are mainly folks born in the middle years of the Boomer Bulge. I'm a tail-end Boomer, so I've still got too long before I can retire. Still, it's remarkable seeing the impact of so many people qualifying for retirement within a fairly narrow window of time. No wonder there's a labor shortage.

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm having a visual disturbance (almost gone) so not going to make a big post, but I'm interested in having a meta conversation about behaviors, including trolling behaviors, here. It's no surprise to people who know me that I consider trolling behaviors to be hostile and antithetical to true civilized conversation.

My contributions would be along the lines of:

I know trolls are allowed here. But is trolling? What constitutes trolling? Definitions.

I feel that telling people to ignore the trolls ignores a real and damaging cost to the trolling behaviors that is often borne by the most vulnerable in the group/s.

I plan to participate in any conversation along these lines, and I'd be happy to make a real thread later when my eyes let me proof good. :mrgreen:

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 pm

I’d be interested in a discussion - just not on some random thread.

I read an article a couple weeks ago (I can’t recall where I saw it but I’ll see if I can find it) where the author argued that ignoring the trolls is a very bad thing. I’ll see if I can find it.

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm

That's why I moved it here :D

I think I shared that article, btw.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:32 pm

listeme wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:22 pm
I'm having a visual disturbance (almost gone) so not going to make a big post, but I'm interested in having a meta conversation about behaviors, including trolling behaviors, here. It's no surprise to people who know me that I consider trolling behaviors to be hostile and antithetical to true civilized conversation.

I know trolls are allowed here. But is trolling? What constitutes trolling? Definitions.

I feel that telling people to ignore the trolls ignores a real and damaging cost to the trolling behaviors that is often borne by the most vulnerable in the group/s.

I plan to participate in any conversation along these lines, and I'd be happy to make a real thread later when my eyes let me proof good. :mrgreen:
A cool-headed discussion of trolling would be very welcome. Right this very minute, in fact!

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:43 pm

listeme wrote:

I also have some thoughts on this :)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:44 pm

listeme wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm
That's why I moved it here :D

I think I shared that article, btw.
It was this one. I found it on my own, but you may have shared it :-D

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/1756 ... ment-abuse

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:45 pm

listeme wrote:

Being an long-time denizen of USENET (and a one-time winner of the Hook, Line, and Sinker Award for best troll), I prefer to stick to the original definition of troll/trolling: someone who deliberately posts something outrageous in hopes of provoking a reaction - the bigger, the better. That's where the original definition "trolling" comes in - you cast your hook and wait to see who snaps at the bait.

Trolling has been redefined to cover so many kinds of behavior it no longer has any real meaning. It's now indiscriminately applied to anyone/any comment seen as disagreeable. This is too broad. We have to understand the difference between someone deliberately attempting to provoke, and someone whose opinion is provocative (usually because it conflicts with the opinion(s) held by the majority of the group). Sure, take righteous umbrage at deliberate attempts to stir up trouble, but don't automatically label people as trolls 'cuz their opinions aren't shared by the group. Nor should they be dismissed as trolls simply for expressing those views.

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:54 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:45 pm
listeme wrote:

Being an long-time denizen of USENET (and a one-time winner of the Hook, Line, and Sinker Award for best troll), I prefer to stick to the original definition of troll/trolling: someone who deliberately posts something outrageous in hopes of provoking a reaction - the bigger, the better. That's where the original definition "trolling" comes in - you cast your hook and wait to see who snaps at the bait.

Trolling has been redefined to cover so many kinds of behavior it no longer has any real meaning. It's now indiscriminately applied to anyone/any comment seen as disagreeable. This is too broad. We have to understand the difference between someone deliberately attempting to provoke, and someone whose opinion is provocative (usually because it conflicts with the opinion(s) held by the majority of the group). Sure, take righteous umbrage at deliberate attempts to stir up trouble, but don't automatically label people as trolls 'cuz their opinions aren't shared by the group. Nor should they be dismissed as trolls simply for expressing those views.
It might be useful to play with some examples of stuff that is and is not actually trolling. Will try to come up with a few.

I certainly don't think "stuff I disagree with" is trolling :) I think some behaviors, like following posters around and repeating stuff -- might be.

I was interacting with someone here and they stopped responding to my posts (we disagreed on a topic). I finally noticed that they weren't responding and stopped posting my disagreements; I thought they might have me on ignore and didn't want to be harassing them, either way. Was I getting close to a line? Probalby not, but I think noticing was important.

Constantly posting your favorite topic wherever you go, even when people ask you to stop multiple times? Could be, maybe not.

Calling out a poster you don't like for stuff that has nothing to do with the topic over and over?

How about finding out someone you don't like is a scrabble player -- and then anytime you get the chance, commenting about only nerds play scrabble? Even in threads about, say, monster trucks? Or following religious people into nonreligious threads to complain about their religion?

How many of these things are trolling? How many of them would get moderated here?

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Monster truck fans are such nerds.

Return to “The Lounge”