Hijack this thread

TollandRCR

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 pm

The cats will help enormously. As of now, Mr.Cisco had no trouble remembering me. Purrs and much demand for petting. Plus cuddling at night.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:55 pm
:snippity:
And cats. Lots & lots more cats. :lol:
Like this?
https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 94866.html
Oh, that's fabulous! I'm so impressed at how he kept right on going with his interview - I couldn't have done it. I'm quite sure I would have struggled not to laugh the entire time & ended up not making any sense at all - if I managed to keep talking, that is!

And oh, those shelves of books. I feel right at home anywhere there's floor to ceiling shelves (I'm surrounded by some right now!). Books are the best home decor evah!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 pm
The cats will help enormously. As of now, Mr.Cisco had no trouble remembering me. Purrs and much demand for petting. Plus cuddling at night.
It's so nice to hear things have gotten back to normal for you! That was quite an experience you went through. I bet if Cisco could talk he would tell you how much he never wants to be separated like that again! Cuddles are good, and we all need as much good as we can get right now.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:23 pm
He refused to pay a fine for the U.S. flag on his porch. His fight with the HOA forced him to sell his house.
Acts of HOA defiance have earned their own thread by now. Yet another form of adult tantrumming by (usually) older white men, who happily buy into HOA communities 'cuz their rules won't allow other people to do anything they want - and who then go ballistic when those rules are equally applied to them.

This dude tries to cloak his tantrum in the flag. He doesn't realize (or care) that everyone's onto him.

He apparently lacked enough support from his neighbors to get elected to the HOA board, or to get the rule changed, which suggests the neighbors didn't see the issue as being about the flag, but more about him.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks, RVInit. Yes, Cisco would probably insist upon no more long separations. When I fly out to see my San Francisco son he will go back to the same luxurious kennel but hopefully will know it is for a much shorter time.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Well, off to disengage for a few days..

Heading to PA for a car show.. I've mentioned this here before, it's my annual go goof off and meet up with other knuckleheads from across the country.. Daughter.tek has been involved with the club I hang with longer than most everyone else in the club, and she will once again be joining me on the trip.. not your usual father/daughter event.

More than you wanted to know:

Something that used to happen at this get-together is that we'd all meet for dinner each evening, then those so inclined would go off bar hopping and somehow manage to get back without getting arrested or killed.

On Sunday, people would pack up and go home with piles of food they brought for lunches at the show that wasn't eaten.

A couple years ago daughter and I decided this was stupid. Having people driving around drunk is Not Good, and trying to set up a restaurant reservation for people who want to do varying amounts of 'freshening up' after wilting in the PA sun is like herding cats..

The hotel that most people stay at is pretty good working with us, so they said we could have picnics in the parking lot.

So...
We have a fajita bar catered in to the hotel for Friday evening. I front the money, and I have never been left high and dry.
Saturday evening we have a full-on picnic in the parking lot to eat all the stuff we didn't eat over the course of the show..

And nobody is driving drunk.
And nobody is taking home food that they immediately throw out.
And everybody has a great time.
Especially the kids, who in the past were either stuck in a hotel room or felt like a fifth wheel..
Which is at least part of how you keep the car hobby going..

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:16 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm
There is nothing like playing fortissimo passages on a regular piano to help release tension! My piano helped me survive tax seasons at a CPA firm.
It's even more relaxing, and fun, on a pipe organ. French organ music is especially useful in being obnoxiously loud.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 pm

tek wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 pm
Well, off to disengage for a few days..

So...
We have a fajita bar catered in to the hotel for Friday evening. I front the money, and I have never been left high and dry.
Saturday evening we have a full-on picnic in the parking lot to eat all the stuff we didn't eat over the course of the show..

And nobody is driving drunk.
And nobody is taking home food that they immediately throw out.
And everybody has a great time.
Especially the kids, who in the past were either stuck in a hotel room or felt like a fifth wheel..
Which is at least part of how you keep the car hobby going..
Very cool!!

Have a great time!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:16 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm
There is nothing like playing fortissimo passages on a regular piano to help release tension! My piano helped me survive tax seasons at a CPA firm.
It's even more relaxing, and fun, on a pipe organ. French organ music is especially useful in being obnoxiously loud.
One of my favorite memories from college was my freshman year. My dorm was right next to the chapel where they had a wonderful organ. I remember one late evening with the windows open one of the music majors (we had a lot of them) was in the chapel playing all sorts of spooky organ music. Not exactly what you expected at a Lutheran college. :-D

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:34 am

I tried watching the FBI Agent Peter Strzok hearing in Congress this morning. OMG. How do people watch this stuff? I was enjoying the expression of amusement and disdain on Strozok's face, tough. A lot. Lucky for me, I have to leave for the day soon.

:brickwallsmall:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Weren’t they disciplined when it was discovered they were communicating inappropriately? Isn’t that a good thing?

Yeah, the FBI is loaded with rampant lib-ruhls.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:01 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am

Happy Bastille Day, y'all. :P

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:53 am

:yeah:

:happyfamily:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Go to der google and type in ‘idiot’ in images. :rotflmao:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:50 pm

So true!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:55 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm
:thumbs: :rotflmao: Perfect.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm
:shock: :eek2: OMFSM :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:26 am

Nature is Amazing 🌴
@AMAZlNGNATURE
Beekeepers have trained dogs to sniff out diseased larva and save entire hives.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:26 am

Nature is Amazing 🌴
@AMAZlNGNATURE
Beekeepers have trained dogs to sniff out diseased larva and save entire hives.
I used to keep what are known as "hygienic" bees. Believe me, they are EXCELLENT at culling the herd, so to speak. To the point where I, as the beekeeper, would fret that there would be nothing left in the hive after they finished pulling out any larvae that they believed was "not right". I still remember my first hygienic beehive and how I watched in horror as they carried out hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of their brethren.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am

My husband's grandfather kept bees also. I have not heard of hygienic bees. Fogbow helps us "keep up" as Robin Williams used to say. :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am
My husband's grandfather kept bees also. I have not heard of hygienic bees. Fogbow helps us "keep up" as Robin Williams used to say. :-D
:thumbs:

I loved beekeeping. They are the most amazing little creatures. It is impossible to keep honeybees and not end up utterly and completely smitten by them. :lovestruck:

If anyone is interested in keeping a hive or two (or more) I would be more than happy to share whatever I can to help make it easy for you to get started. I completed Florida's master bee keeper program (7 years of training and study! It can be done in 5 if you are full time beekeeper and don't have a "real" job and are super serious about it) and love to help other beekeepers get started. Send me a PM if I can be any help. You don't have to complete any kind of program, and hobby beekeeping is not going to take large amounts of time unless you really want it to, but it's always good to know as much as possible about them. It will help you to successfully keep them in your box (as opposed to swarming) and help you make good choices as to how much honey you can take without harming the colony, and help you in your routine hive inspections. There is a great deal that you can learn and know about them, but very little that you need to know in order to get started. It's like everything else, the more you know about it, the more you will appreciate and enjoy. But, you can put very little effort into it and still enjoy watching them come and go. It's especially satisfying to watch as they come back with their legs full of pollen. Also, you probably have never seen black pollen before, but when you inspect your hive you will be utterly amazed at the variety of pollen your bees will collect and bring home for supper.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I have a special place in my heart for beekeepers. My mom's father, born in 1895, was a beekeeper from the time he was about 14 years old. At one time I think he was the largest producer of honey in Wisconsin. Needless to say, we always had honey on our table.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:05 pm

The Guardian is asking for money. As Bezos may not be around a small contribution may be in order.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 am

Volvo has announced that their Terraflugio flying car will go on sale in 2019.

Terrafugias

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “The Lounge”