Recommended Political Websites

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
MN-Skeptic

Recommended Political Websites

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I thought I'd share a couple of political websites I enjoy reading. I would love to see other recommendations.

Electoral Vote Predictor

Per their FAQ -
Welcome to Electoral Vote Predictor, which tracks political polls for U.S. federal elections. The site was immensely popular in 2004, ranking in the top 1000 Websites in the world and the top 10 blogs in the world, with about 700,000 visitors a day. In some surveys, it was the most popular election site in the country. In 2006, it tracked the Senate and House elections. In 2008, it tracked the presidential and congressional races and was getting over 1 million visitors a day at the end. In 2010 it did the Senate and House. In 2012 it tracked the presidential race and the Senate but not the House because House races are polled too infrequently and there is no historical data for the new congressional districts to fill in the many gaps. For some reason, we never stopped (although there were gaps in our coverage) and are still going strong.

Unlike other sites, which track generic national polls, this site tracks the state-by-state polls. After all, the presidency is decided by 51 separate state elections and the Senate by elections in almost three dozen states. As new state polls are released, the maps, spreadsheets, tables, graphs, etc. will be updated. In the maps, the states with white centers are statistical ties and are subject to rapid fluctuations.

The main page generally contains a map showing the state of the polls. Putting the mouse on a state pops up information about the polls there. Clicking on a state goes to a graph of the polls for that state. There are numerous other pages with election data on the site. From any page, clicking on the "electoral-vote.com" name on the red banner at the top of the page takes you back to the main page.

The news items on the main page are written by two front-page authors, "The Votemaster" (Andrew Tanenbaum) and "Zenger" (Christopher Bates). The (V) or (Z) after each item indicates who wrote it.
I love their discussions of races and issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A person I follow on Twitter is @Taniel - Daniel Nichanian. He's now editor-in-chief of Bolts.

Per their FAQ -
Bolts is a digital magazine that covers the nuts and bolts of power and political change, from the local up. We report on the local elections and obscure institutions that shape public policy but are dangerously overlooked, and the grassroots movements that are targeting them.

We focus on two areas where local governments play a key role: criminal justice and voting rights.
I've always enjoyed the articles @Taniel creates before elections, highlighting the people and issues that he sees as important on upcoming ballots. While the Bolts site will link to @Taniel's spreadsheets, they lag greatly, so look at @Taniel's feed to find a link to his latest article. The most current one is What to Watch in the Primaries between August 9 and August 16. Since the latest article includes elections from last week, you can see how @Taniel updates the articles with results from those elections.
busterbunker

Re: Recommended Political Websites

Post by busterbunker »

Most of my daily news-gathering is centered on local issues and I'll zoom out from there. The Fogbow is my first stop for national issues. You guys do good work here. Thank you.

I'll check in here from time to time:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/
https://www.justsecurity.org/
bob

Re: Recommended Political Websites

Post by bob »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:59 pm I thought I'd share a couple of political websites I enjoy reading. I would love to see other recommendations.

Electoral Vote Predictor
I like its data, but analysis often is somewhere between wishcasting and laughably wrong. And one of the site's operators is really thin-skinned.

So, for me: Numbers, yes; words, no.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Current Politics”