Gay Marriage / LGBTQ Rights / Equality Act

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hate this fucking state. I know DuhSantis won't be here forever, but I fear the damage he's causing will.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

So happy I decided to get out of Florida when I did. Anyone here know how that Ave Maria "catholic utopia" Domino's founder Tom Monaghan is doing down in Naples?
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know I give it a wide berth.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Resume18 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:05 pm So happy I decided to get out of Florida when I did. Anyone here know how that Ave Maria "catholic utopia" Domino's founder Tom Monaghan is doing down in Naples?
It is near Naples, not in. The "utopia" that didn't sell. Then they opened it up to all comers/buyers, not just Catholics. Still the large erected cathedral is there in the town square. Creepy.
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

What are these dickheads gonna do next, forced conversion therapy?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Resume18 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:09 am What are these dickheads gonna do next, forced conversion therapy?
It's probably in the pipeline already.... :cantlook:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Resume18 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:09 am What are these dickheads gonna do next, forced conversion therapy?
Well, that is what they are upset about. Conversion theory where they could force minors into such programs was bit by bit getting banned, so if they are on a winning streak, expect them to try to push things past their old level of power.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Guess who gets to pay $100,000 to the gay couple she denied a marriage license?
F5-ubPJWIAAbQwm.jpeg
F5-ubPJWIAAbQwm.jpeg (33.63 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
https://apnews.com/article/kentucky-kim ... 98db0de72c
Image Image Image Image
June bug

Post by June bug »

:groupdance: :bunny: :blissy: :bwahaha:
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Double Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Posie Parker suggests trans ally David Tennant is a paedophile – and fans aren’t having it

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/09/16/ ... ie-parker/
Kellie-Jay Keen – took to X, formerly known as Twitter, on Friday (15 September) and posted a photo of the Good Omens actor along with the caption: “His pin reads ‘hey little girl do you want to see some puppies?'”

Her tweet refers to the pin Tennant has been pictured wearing, which bears the rainbow Pride flag and trans Pride colours, and the words: “You are safe with me.”

The actor’s fans were quick to point out that Parker’s post insinuated the much-loved actor is a paedophile because he has been vocal in his support of the trans+ community.

Father of five Tennant, who played the 10th incarnation of the Doctor in beloved BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who, previously melted hearts with a beautiful message of LGBTQ+ solidarity during this year’s Pride Month.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Soup Haters in Tennessee ...

I love Campbell's response.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rimshot:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Texas Teachers Fired After Attending Drag Show
The teachers were informed that attending a drag show and posting pictures of it on social media violated their school's morality clause.
► Show Spoiler
Two teachers at a Christian school in Texas were reportedly fired after attending a drag performance at a local restaurant, and one posted about the experience on social media.

Kristi Maris, who worked as a physical education teacher at the First Baptist Academy in Baytown, Texas, for nearly 20 years, claims she was fired after attending a July 13 drag show at Hamburger Mary’s restaurant in Houston.

“It was just so fun because they interacted with us,” Maris, who attended the show with along with her two adult children and a co-worker, told Houston-based ABC affiliate KTRK. “And they were just fun to look at — their costumes and the makeup and the hair.”

The school soon contacted her and informed her that she — and the co-worker — had been fired. Maris claims she wasn’t given clear reasons for the firing, but was directed to a photo on her Facebook account of her posing with some of the drag performers.

While the school did not respond to an ABC News request for comment, a school official pointed KTRK to the school’s operating policy manual, which requires employees to agree to abide by a morality clause reading, “I will act in a godly and moral fashion at work, on Facebook, and in my community.”
:snippity:
https://www.metroweekly.com/2023/07/tex ... drag-show/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... y-veterans
Advocates are celebrating the Department of Defense’s decision to correct the military records of many veterans who were discharged over their sexual orientation in the past – while adding that the agency must do more for affected veterans.

The Pentagon has announced it will review cases of LGBTQ+ veterans who were denied honorable discharges after being removed from the military under the 1990s policy of “don’t ask, don’t tell” (DADT). Thousands of veterans were removed from service following the controversial 1993 law introduced by then president Bill Clinton as a compromise step which allowed gay and lesbian military personnel to serve only if their sexuality remained secret or was not reported.

Many of those dismissed were then ineligible for veteran benefits due to their discharge status. Even those removed with an honorable discharge status faced discrimination as paperwork listed their sexual orientation.

Pentagon officials say they will be taking a more “proactive” approach to amend veteran records, rather than veterans having to appeal their discharge status themselves.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Texas gets smacked down. Again.
Chris Geidner @chrisgeidner wrote: Today's ruling against a drag ban comes from an 84-year-old Reagan appointee who's been senior status for nearly 20 years, FYI.
Chris Geidner @chrisgeidner wrote: BREAKING: After trial, federal judge declares Texas's anti-drag law, SB12, unconstitutional and issues a permanent injunction barring — through AG Paxton — all state officials from enforcing it. More to come at Law Dork: https://lawdork.com
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Law Dork. I'm a fan just for the nom de plume.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

FWIW
Guy who says God sends natural disasters to punish gays has his home destroyed in a natural disaster

Sky Palma Religion
August 17, 2016

Tony Perkins, president of the anti-gay religious lobbying group the Family Research Council, had his home destroyed by the massive flooding ravaging Southern Louisiana this week.

Although no one wants to celebrate a person losing their home, the destruction of Perkins’ house isn’t without irony, considering that he’s claimed in the past that natural disasters are God’s way of punishing an increasingly gay-friendly world.

Calling into his own radio show, Perkins described the flood as being of “biblical proportions,” adding that he and his family will have to live in a camper for 6 months until the damage is repaired.

But Perkins was careful to point out that this particular flood wasn’t because of the gays, but rather an “incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.”

https://deadstate.org/guy-who-says-god- ... -disaster/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Supreme Court says Florida can’t enforce anti-drag law

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/politics ... index.html
The Florida law that limits drag shows in the state will remain blocked, the Supreme Court said Thursday, dealing a blow to a key initiative championed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Florida had asked the high court to narrow a lower court’s injunction that stopped the law from being enforced statewide. The justices declined to do so.

Conservative Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch said they would have allowed the law to take effect.

In a brief statement agreeing with the court’s decision, Justices Brett Kavanaugh, joined in part by Justice Amy Coney Barrett, addressed the First Amendment complexities of the case and said the case was an “imperfect vehicle” for deciding some of the questions at the center of the dispute.

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody argued that the law – dubbed the “Protection of Children Act” – was designed to “prevent the exposure of children to sexually explicit live performances.”

The 2023 law makes it a misdemeanor to knowingly admit a child to a sexually explicit adult live performance that would be obscene for the “the age of the child present.”

A district court judge in Florida blocked the law in June, holding it likely violated the Constitution’s free speech and due process protections and that it was unconstitutionally vague. The 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals declined Florida’s emergency application for a stay of the district court’s injunction, triggering the state’s ask to the Supreme Court for relief.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:27 pm Supreme Court says Florida can’t enforce anti-drag law

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/politics ... index.html
The Florida law that limits drag shows in the state will remain blocked, the Supreme Court said Thursday, dealing a blow to a key initiative championed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Florida had asked the high court to narrow a lower court’s injunction that stopped the law from being enforced statewide. The justices declined to do so.

Conservative Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch said they would have allowed the law to take effect.

In a brief statement agreeing with the court’s decision, Justices Brett Kavanaugh, joined in part by Justice Amy Coney Barrett, addressed the First Amendment complexities of the case and said the case was an “imperfect vehicle” for deciding some of the questions at the center of the dispute.

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody argued that the law – dubbed the “Protection of Children Act” – was designed to “prevent the exposure of children to sexually explicit live performances.”

The 2023 law makes it a misdemeanor to knowingly admit a child to a sexually explicit adult live performance that would be obscene for the “the age of the child present.”

A district court judge in Florida blocked the law in June, holding it likely violated the Constitution’s free speech and due process protections and that it was unconstitutionally vague. The 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals declined Florida’s emergency application for a stay of the district court’s injunction, triggering the state’s ask to the Supreme Court for relief.
Suck it DeSantis.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I helped organize an inaugural Pride event locally which was held last September. We included - and it was in all advertising - that there was family-friendly drag show (indeed the whole event was family friendly). We got really nervous when a similar law started working through the AL lege including prohibiting drag queen story hour.

Fortunately they were too wrapped up trying to deny health care to trans folks and the drag stuff fell by the wayside, so we had our drag show. Not even one protester showed up in the small town where we held it. No jerks, no rude comments on the fb event page.

Glad they see now that trying to shut these things down will bring 1A stuff all over them, not that they care about spending tax payer money on unconstitutional laws (see: all the lawsuits the state lost over abortion).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap: I am so glad you are with us on the Fogbow, Rolodex!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Seconded.

ImageImageImage x4
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Concur
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Current Politics”