Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

The Daily Show did a bit last night about Alabama's stupidity.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I love those guys
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

UAB is stopping IVF treatments:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/21/us/a ... stract.com

The University of Alabama at Birmingham health system is pausing in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment following an Alabama Supreme Court ruling that found frozen embryos are children, the health system said in a statement to CNN.

The decision makes UAB the first known organization in the state to confirm it is pausing the treatment.

Its announcement could be the start of what reproductive rights advocates and medical experts have been warning about for days: that the high court’s decision could have devastating consequences for Alabamians seeking infertility treatments each year to build their families – and it could soon have profound impacts far beyond the state’s borders.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

It's dark times, my friends. Dark times.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

When they have to invent terminology like "extrauterine children" they have lost the plot.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

So..

Sex..

If At fertilisation the embryo is now a child

But assume it doesn’t successfully implant

Who’s responsibility is the care and wellbeing of that child embryo?
much ado

Post by much ado »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:53 pm So..

Sex..

If At fertilisation the embryo is now a child

But assume it doesn’t successfully implant

Who’s responsibility is the care and wellbeing of that child embryo?
The mother.
Dave from down under

Very well…

As the well-being of the embryo child cannot be guaranteed.

Who will file for an injunction to ensure that no embryo child is at risk that male-female virginal sex in the State must be banned.

I presume the only exception could be where the woman has had a complete hysterectomy.. but even then as it seems that the court is religious that potential miracle births mean even then sex would be banned.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

How many tax deductions do they get, let's say they've a dozen of 'em ready for IVF processes?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, they have to get their Social Security Numbers first.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

human rights for everyone.jpg
human rights for everyone.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 358 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

If the Texas grid fails again, would Gov. Abbott be guilty of mass murder?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:39 pm If the Texas grid fails again, would Gov. Abbott be guilty of mass murder?
Great question!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

Again..
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cbs42.com/alabama-news/alab ... rt-ruling/
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Some Alabama lawmakers are filing bills to protect in vitro fertilization in light of a recent state supreme court decision ruling this week.

The ruling states that embryos are unborn children under the state’s Wrongful Death of a Minor Act, prompting some clinics to pause treatments and throw into question the future of IVF in Alabama.

State Sen. Tim Melson (R- Florence) says his legislation would allow treatments to continue. Melson’s bill draft says a fertilized egg in vitro is a “potential life” but shall not be considered a human life until implanted in the uterus.

“We have advanced so far in medicine that now we’re storing everything from embryos to sperm to eggs for future use and we hadn’t really thought about the consequences of that and it’s time to figure that out,” Melson said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/woman- ... rcna140134
A woman who is suing Texas after she said she nearly died when doctors delayed giving her a medically necessary abortion tells NBC News exclusively that she plans to move her frozen embryos out of the state for fear Texas could stop providing in vitro fertilization.

The move by Amanda Zurawski and her husband, Josh, follows news that at least three fertility clinics in Alabama have paused in vitro fertilization treatments following a ruling by the state Supreme Court that found embryos are people who have the same legal protections as children — and that people can be held liable for destroying them.

Zurawski, 36, said on Thursday that she and her husband signed papers to move their embryos out of the state because she fears Texas could follow Alabama’s lead and block her from starting the family she’s spent years trying to build.

“I don’t want them in a state where a similar ruling could very likely take place,” she said of her embryos. “Everything about IVF is very anxiety-inducing. It’s very scary. It’s very difficult and rulings like this one in Alabama are just adding another layer of fear and anxiety.”
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Doesn’t IVF have a high rate of failure or of miscarriage? Will the mother be charged with murder? :-o :-o
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:01 pm Doesn’t IVF have a high rate of failure or of miscarriage? Will the mother be charged with murder? :-o :-o
Yep, you are correct. They don't just implant a single fertilized egg when doing IVF. And yes, somie of them fail to take, so I suppose it is MURDER in these new rules.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -abortion/
ARLINGTON, Tex. — Kelsie Norris-De La Cruz tried not to cry as the doctor in the emergency room delivered one of the most frightening diagnoses a pregnant woman can receive.

The 25-year-old college senior was told she likely had an ectopic pregnancy, a highly dangerous condition where the embryo implants outside of the uterus. Without immediate treatment, the fallopian tube can rupture — and the patient can die. The law that has prohibited abortions in Texas since Roe v. Wade was overturned now explicitly allows doctors to treat ectopic pregnancies. But when doctors at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital evaluated Norris-De La Cruz last week, they refused to terminate the pregnancy, saying there was some chance the pregnancy was still viable, Norris-De La Cruz recalled. Instead, they advised her and her mother to go home and wait, according to medical records reviewed by The Washington Post.

Norris-De La Cruz ultimately received emergency surgery about 24 hours later at a different hospital in the area, at which point her ectopic pregnancy had already started to rupture. The OB/GYN who performed the procedure said that, if Norris-De La Cruz had waited much longer, she would have been “in extreme danger of losing her life.”
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

This is all so horrible. My son and his wife struggled with infertility. IVF game them twins, who are now 15.

It’s so sad that these crazies are making it so hard for families who are already dealing with this this.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:01 pm Doesn’t IVF have a high rate of failure or of miscarriage? Will the mother be charged with murder? :-o :-o
Not a doctor speaking here, but iirc it's not miscarriage the problem but that the embryos attach to the uterus. That's why doctors tend to implant several embryos in the hope that one will develop. Cause of this many IVF implants will turn to multiple babies.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:14 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -abortion/
ARLINGTON, Tex. — Kelsie Norris-De La Cruz tried not to cry as the doctor in the emergency room delivered one of the most frightening diagnoses a pregnant woman can receive.

The 25-year-old college senior was told she likely had an ectopic pregnancy, a highly dangerous condition where the embryo implants outside of the uterus. Without immediate treatment, the fallopian tube can rupture — and the patient can die. The law that has prohibited abortions in Texas since Roe v. Wade was overturned now explicitly allows doctors to treat ectopic pregnancies. But when doctors at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital evaluated Norris-De La Cruz last week, they refused to terminate the pregnancy, saying there was some chance the pregnancy was still viable, Norris-De La Cruz recalled. Instead, they advised her and her mother to go home and wait, according to medical records reviewed by The Washington Post.

Norris-De La Cruz ultimately received emergency surgery about 24 hours later at a different hospital in the area, at which point her ectopic pregnancy had already started to rupture. The OB/GYN who performed the procedure said that, if Norris-De La Cruz had waited much longer, she would have been “in extreme danger of losing her life.”
That is straight-up medical malpractice. The number of ectopic pregnancies that ended up being viable are in the single digits, and none were viable that implanted in the fallopian tube. You have a better shot at surviving a sliced carotid without medical intervention than being a viable ectopic pregnancy.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I have twin grands thanks to IVF. They're only 15 months old. Their doctor is in FL so I think that's where the extra embryos are.

I can't find the story right now, but I read earlier today that companies who transport frozen embryos have discontinued service to or from Alabama.

They tried yesterday to write some legislation about it having to be implanted in a uterus to be a "viable" life and I tweeted him back saying he broke it, he bought it. They need to own up to their own stupid zealotry. They've gotten just what they say the wanted.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:05 pm
Yep, you are correct. They don't just implant a single fertilized egg when doing IVF. And yes, somie of them fail to take, so I suppose it is MURDER in these new rules.
And if a larger number than expected attach, the usual procedure is to remove some so the remaining 1-2, maybe 3 embryos have a better chance of survival. Remember Octomom? All eight of hers took and she refused to have them thinned out, risking the chance of losing them all. She was very lucky.

I'd have to look it up but I believe, back when Roseanne wasn't batshit crazy, she had IVF with her third husband resulting in several implanting, which they then thinned down to one.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Selective reduction is pretty common.

My son and daughter-in-law had 7 successful embryos develop. Their doc wanted to return only one because of multiples being higher-risk pregnancies. But my DIL was 36 and they didn't want to spend longer trying to have kids; they'd already both had surgery and months and months of testing before doing IVF. So, they wanted to return 2 to give them a chance at having at least one work out (she'd had a history of miscarriage, too). I don't know what they plan to do with the other 5 and I don't really care. We've got the twins now since both embryos took. This whole think is such a nightmare.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Current Politics”