Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by Dave from down under »

Texas Supreme Court

Experts in medical risk analysis by court filing
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

I’m wondering if Ms Cox’ attorneys had an inkling on how the Texas Supreme Court was gonna rule and advised her to leave.

Cuz I can fully imagine what would have been next would be Paxton arresting her and putting her (the fetus) in protective custody.

As it stands, she’ll never be able to return home since they have that stupid vigilante law.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:19 pm These laws reflect the policy choice that the Legislature has made, and the courts must respect that choice.

Christofascits strike again.

I am now of the opinion they are an actual "Clear And Present Danger" to the United States and need to be designated as enemies of the state and dealt with means appropriate to that designation.
Absolutely.

But I fear it is too late.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Greatgrey wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:58 pm
Fuck you.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

https://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-ne ... attention/

Brittany has a GoFund Me because the fascists destroyed her bathroom in her house.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hope somebody’s putting together a documentary of these horrific decisions and can get it released in theaters by fall of 2024.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

"difficulties in pregnancy" wtf. The difficulty is that the mother and fetus will die. That's not enough for you Texas, fuck you. I'm sorry but I am just furious to death of this whole shitshow.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 pm "difficulties in pregnancy" wtf. The difficulty is that the mother and fetus will die. That's not enough for you Texas, fuck you. I'm sorry but I am just furious to death of this whole shitshow.
Courts aren't qualified to make medical decisions, this is an obscene Dunning-Kruger result in a place we should never see one.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Unbelievable. I have no words.

The wife says, “They want to punish her just for being a woman.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:26 pm
SuzieC wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 pm "difficulties in pregnancy" wtf. The difficulty is that the mother and fetus will die. That's not enough for you Texas, fuck you. I'm sorry but I am just furious to death of this whole shitshow.
Courts aren't qualified to make medical decisions, this is an obscene Dunning-Kruger result in a place we should never see one.
So something I am trying to understand about this case : The texas supreme court is claiming that her doctor did not declare the condition life threatening, and it was the lower court that 'played doctor'. I have not seen much discussion on what her doctor has said outside the chilling effect resulting in doctors and hospitals not being willing to take risks.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Possibly a reposting. Although not directly relevant to the case being discussed it’s probably what you think about abortion if you have a heart.

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

neeneko wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:11 am
So something I am trying to understand about this case : The texas supreme court is claiming that her doctor did not declare the condition life threatening, and it was the lower court that 'played doctor'. I have not seen much discussion on what her doctor has said outside the chilling effect resulting in doctors and hospitals not being willing to take risks.
SCoTX is wrong, the doctor did in fact declare the condition life threatening, but instead of reading the TRO, they simply took lying Kenny Paxton at his word. Check out page two of the TRO (pretty much the entire page is dedicated to laying out the medical conditions and risks, including risk to her life):

https://reproductiverights.org/wp-conte ... 2-7-23.pdf

The complaint goes into much more detail, and I presume that the hearing also went into such detail.

Normally, because she went out of state to get the abortion, the lawsuit would become moot. However, because her husband (presumably) assisted her in leaving the state, he is still at risk of being sued under certain interpretations of the law, which preserves the suit (and those interpretations are not just hypothetical, several counties have instituted travel bans based on them).
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

neeneko wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:11 am
It's buried in the second link in the tweet posted by Resume18 just above. The Doctor didn't use the words the court wanted them to describe the situation. Any normal person would read what the Dr. said and go "hey, that lady is in serious trouble and needs this procedure", while the christofascists on the court sees those same words and says "go ahead and die, you're not sick enough for the procedure". It is unjustifiable and absolutely obscene.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

https://thegrio.com/2023/12/08/brittany ... rand-jury/

More about horrific Brittany Watts case. Just as many women warned, miscarriage is being prosecuted as a felony.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I will say I am glad that Rick Santorum has stayed out of this Texas case with Kate Cox. One of his daughters has trisomy 18 and has survived for 15 years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

so the Cox family will never be able to go home will they?

There is probably someone sitting on the house looking for any signs of movement.

That poor family.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

However, Warren Assistant Prosecutor Lewis Guarnieri contended that at issue wasn’t “how the child died” or when, but that the fetus was left in a toilet and was large enough to clog it “and she went on [with] her day.”
She went to the hospital with life-threatening hemorrhaging, you fucking twatwaffle!
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Party of smaller government

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

New Mexico supreme court to consider obscure 1873 law used to ban abortion
State is latest in which the Comstock Act is being used to try to ban abortion after the fall of Roe v Wade

Carter Sherman
Wed 13 Dec 2023 12.00 CET

Anti-abortion activists across the United States are convinced that a 19th-century anti-vice law could hold the key to banning abortion nationwide. Their strategy could be put to the test this week.

On Wednesday, the New Mexico supreme court will hear arguments in a case over local ordinances passed in the towns of Hobbs and Clovis, in the east of the state, as well as the nearby Lea and Roosevelt counties. All four localities have passed similar ordinances claiming that the Comstock Act, an 1873 law meant to target vice, bans the mailing of abortion-related materials. The ordinances also effectively ban abortion in the four areas overall, prompting New Mexico’s attorney general to ask the supreme court to strike them down.

“Because those ordinances violate state law, our office had to get involved,” Aletheia Allen, solicitor general in the New Mexico attorney general’s office, said . “It flies in the face of what they’re allowed to do procedurally, as local governments. They’re just not allowed to regulate in this area, which is healthcare and medical licensing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... new-mexico
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

What's the NM Supreme Court like?

ImageImageImage x4
realist

Post by realist »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:07 am What's the NM Supreme Court like?
Liberal.

I would be extremely surprised if they did not strike this crap down.

That area of the state was (perhaps still is) birther heaven in NM.
Image X 4
Image X 32
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:07 am What's the NM Supreme Court like?
https://supremecourt.nmcourts.gov/supre ... -justices/

The wiki page for that court indicates they're all democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_Supreme_Court
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Thanks guys. I feel better. I'm very seriously considering a move to ABQ in early 2025. Maybe sooner depending on how home/car insurance goes this year.

ImageImageImage x4
realist

Post by realist »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:16 am Thanks guys. I feel better. I'm very seriously considering a move to ABQ in early 2025. Maybe sooner depending on how home/car insurance goes this year.
Would love to have ya. :thumbsup:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Supreme Court to decide whether to restrict abortion drug nationwide

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/13/politics ... index.html
The Supreme Court said Wednesday it will consider whether to restrict access to a widely used abortion drug — even in states where the procedure is still allowed.

The case concerns the drug mifepristone that — when coupled with another drug — is one of the most common abortion methods in the United States.

The decision means the conservative-leaning court will again wade into the abortion debate after overturning Roe v. Wade last year, altering the landscape of abortion rights nationwide and triggering more than half the states to outlaw or severely restrict the procedure.

The new case could be decided by July, inserting the Supreme Court into the middle of the presidential election, where abortion access is once again a key issue.

For now, mifepristone remains available and not subject to restrictions the lower courts have said should be imposed on its use. The high court determined in April that access to the drug would remain unchanged until the appeals process finishes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Current Politics”