Slim Cognito

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Everyone think good thoughts and cross your fingers. Tomorrow I debut my solo with the group. I've been fighting it but the head honcho insisted I do it tomorrow, and I think it's intended as a distraction as this will be my first Valentine's Day alone in a long long time.

Some of the women sing, and some have incredibly good voices, and others do fun, usually novelty things. We have one that puts a fruit hat on her head and shakes maracas to Carmen Miranda

I'm going to do a Groucho marx imitation by lip syncing. Well that's my intention anyway. I've got the fake glasses and prop cigar. Portia suggested I wear the long blk coat. At first I resisted as there's a very limited amount of time for me to get ready, but the more I thought about it , I realized something large enough would easily slip over whatever silly costume I'm wearing and hopefully distract from that. Since tomorrow is Valentine's Day, we'll all be wearing red sequins. Goodwill, you magnificent bastard. I found something that is certainly not the same coat Groucho wears, but it's black and goes to my knees, and better yet, I can push up the sleeves as Groucho does in his choreography.

My choice is Lydia, the tattooed lady from Day at the circus. I chose that because I love the marx brothers and it's different from any other solo in the show. I'd practiced the recording from the movie to copy his moves but then K informed me that any tune I used had to be available through iTunes. Well that really messed me up because it's not there. She suggested I pick one that's available and make do but, in my heart, I knew if I couldn't do Groucho, I didn't want to do it.

In the early '40s during world war II, Groucho performed the song on a radio show. It was on itunes, one track in a series of vintage radio shows the Marx Brothers appeared in . It was a bitch to find because the word tattooed was misspelled. Although it was the same song, as you all know, Groucho likes to ad lib so I had to begin practice all over again.

I was terrified at the thought of getting up there in front of everyone; I'm more of a background person in normal circumstances. But as I practiced, I realized the mustache on my silly glasses covers most of my mouth. So if my words don't match up perfectly, I don't think anyone's going to notice. Plus it's a nursing home and it's Valentine's Day. I think they'll be happy just to have somebody come in and entertain.

Anyhoo, that's where I am right now. And thanks again to Portia for the great idea. I'm glad I reconsidered.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
June bug

Slim Cognito

Post by June bug »

:thumbsup: Break a leg, Slim!! :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Slim Cognito

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I wish you could record your performance and post a copy here!

Good luck, we’re all rooting for you! :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by AndyinPA »

Best of luck! What fun! :dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Slim Cognito

Post by raison de arizona »

You’re going to do great! How clever!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by Flatpoint High »

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Slim Cognito

Post by neonzx »

Good luck, slim! I am sure you will be great! :banana:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Slim Cognito

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Love, love, love Lydia!!!!!!! You'll do great because you'll be Groucho up there, not Slim!!!!!!! The residents will love it too!!!!!!!!

🎶Lydia, O Lydia, Lydia, O Lydia, Lydia the Tattooed Lady🎶
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Slim Cognito

Post by bill_g »

There's a few of us that will be lonely Valentines this year. I'm happy for you. Have a great time. Give 'em a good show, and enjoy the applause. You deserve it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Slim Cognito

Post by Foggy »

Oh, cool. 8-) You got this. :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hi all! Just got back from practice where the team presented me with this photo and a certificate of Puppy Dennis, born November 10, 2023 and currently undergoing his pre-guide dog training with his puppy trainer family.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. It's the best memorial for Dennis I can think of and I couldn't be more proud.

Maybe in a few months, his family will bring him to a show so I can meet him in person.
Puppy Dennis.jpg
Puppy Dennis.jpg (265.31 KiB) Viewed 462 times

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Slim Cognito

Post by p0rtia »

:heart:
bill_g

Slim Cognito

Post by bill_g »

Good looking dog. Let's hope he makes it through training.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Im glad he's blonde and white, just like Hubs was (total coincidence). Now, how to get the fu manchu on him...

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Slim Cognito

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:44 am Im glad he's blonde and white, just like Hubs was (total coincidence). Now, how to get the fu manchu on him...
And why isn't this little guy your avatar yet young lady.......?
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m slipping. Thank you. I’m off to see a play, but when I get home, he will be my avatar.

I’ll have to see if I can Photoshop the fu manchu.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by AndyinPA »

Cute pup! :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
June bug

Slim Cognito

Post by June bug »

Dennis is adorable! :lovestruck:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Slim Cognito

Post by Maybenaut »

:lovestruck: :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Slim Cognito

Post by Foggy »

That's an intelligent dog, you can tell by the eyes. Little D is gonna be a great honor for Big D.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: on the new avatar!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

So D's dad's house sold (for 40K over asking) and the three kids all made just under $100K a piece, a pretty good inheritance if you ask me, even if the oldest kid is mad he didn't get a free house and is no longer on speaking terms with his sister.

I have a question. I still have D's parent's will bc I've been afraid to shred it. Hubs inherited two things form his dad, his father's house (I made sure that would go to his kids, above) and his OK farmland (sold to finance his cancer treatment, the balance of which is mine). His mother and brother passed before his father and D was his father's sole beneficiary. Is there any reason I still need to hang onto this big binder with copies of wills, etc or can I run it through the shredder?

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Slim Cognito

Post by raison de arizona »

Rule of thumb is at least three years after the estate is settled.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g

Slim Cognito

Post by bill_g »

Agreed. If it was within three years of his father's death, it was part of Hub's estate. Hang on to it, and possibly list it as part of your important documents with a date certain for it's destruction. Better yet, if you have an estate lawyer handling Hub's affairs, consult them.

Damn. Time flies.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Slim Cognito

Post by Maybenaut »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:41 pm So D's dad's house sold (for 40K over asking) and the three kids all made just under $100K a piece, a pretty good inheritance if you ask me, even if the oldest kid is mad he didn't get a free house and is no longer on speaking terms with his sister.

I have a question. I still have D's parent's will bc I've been afraid to shred it. Hubs inherited two things form his dad, his father's house (I made sure that would go to his kids, above) and his OK farmland (sold to finance his cancer treatment, the balance of which is mine). His mother and brother passed before his father and D was his father's sole beneficiary. Is there any reason I still need to hang onto this big binder with copies of wills, etc or can I run it through the shredder?
Probably not, but if you’re concerned about it, Take it to kinkos and have them scan it to a PDF then get rid of it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Introduce Yourself”