It's called free speech, stupid.

realist

It's called free speech, stupid.

Post by realist »

Klein ISD student wins $90K settlement after being harassed for sitting out the Pledge of Allegiance

And he probably calls himself a patriot (and likely a Christian) but believes the First Amendment doesn't apply to other people. So also likely a RWNJ. People like him make me ill.
One of the teachers named in the suit was accused of threatening to fail students who refused to participate in the pledge. He was also recorded saying he would pay students to move to Europe if they didn’t like living in the U.S.
The student, known only as M.O., declined to participate in the pledge because she objected to the words “under God” and believed that “liberty and justice for all” is not guaranteed for people of color.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... ttermoment
Image X 4
Image X 32
filly

Re: It's called free speech, stupid.

Post by filly »

Saw some clips of this young woman on the local news the other day. She's in college now. $90k is a drop in the bucket for the school district, but hopefully they will get the message out to their White Wingers that harassment of students exercising their constitutional rights is not acceptable.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I don't hold out much faith that the White Wingers will get the message. Instead, their politicians will try to pass laws to require harassment of other students.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I was in HS in the DC area at the height of anti-war fever. There must have been some Nixon supporters among the teachers but I don’t remember any of my history or government teachers going off on politics.

Except the psych teacher 😁 He gave us video cameras one week, set up rides and chaperones, and had us film the protest marches going on. We put all the footage together into a nice explainer -why the marchers were against the Vietnam War - but no one but us ever saw it.

This same teacher brought advertising reels (his wife worked at a local tv station) to teach us to resist “hidden persuasion”.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”