Happy Cazmir Pulaski day!

Chilidog

Happy Cazmir Pulaski day!

Post by Chilidog »

It's a Chicago thing.
tek

Re: Happy Cazmir Pulaski day!

Post by tek »

It seems there is a Pulaski Day in October in Massachusetts.. I remember this from my childhood in Chicopee and adjacent towns..
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Pulaski Skyway, which I once went over daily in New Jersey, was named for him.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:16 pm It's a Chicago thing.
When I saw the topic, I looked to see who created it, assuming it was you. I was right. ;)
101010 :towel:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Well my wife wouldn't let me buy any paczki the other day.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I know who he is, but I also associated it immediately with furniture. Turns out there is a furniture company in Pulaski, Virginia. I must have a piece of their furniture here because it came to mind so quickly, but I'm not sure what it is. I thought maybe my solid walnut bedroom set, but I'm pretty sure that was made in North Carolina. You know, when we still made things like that here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I didn't know I didn't know. I frequented the Pulaski County Courthouse during my lawyer days. I had clients meet me at Count Pulaski's bust in the rotunda because it was hard to miss.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/loca ... -309003768
Did You Know: Bust at courthouse isn't Count Pulaski

For those of us in Central Arkansas, there is a well known sculpture that is a tribute to two war heroes at the same time. Here's the story.

John Yancey earned the Navy Cross in World War II. He led a small group of Marines in a charge of a Japanese machine gun on Guadacanal. After the war, Yancey became a Marine Reservist, but when the Korean War began, he was called into duty a second time. He would again earn a Navy Cross with a heroic defense of a key hill in North Korea. He became the most decorated Arkansas Marine in history.

In 1961, European sculptor Sacha Schnittmann was commissioned by Pulaski Federal Savings and Loan, to sculpt a bust of Count Pulaski. When Schnittmann saw a drawing of the actual Count, he was not impressed. He had met John Yancey though, and knew of his exploits on the battlefield. Yancey had the look that Schnittmann was after.

What we see today, when looking at this famous Pulaski County sculpture, is not Count Pulaski, but the face of John Yancey. You can see the original bust today at its permanent home in the rotunda of the Pulaski County Courthouse.

There is also one that is outside the County Offices Building on Broadway. You can also find one in Riverfront Park on the walkway near the water park.
In the courthouse rotunda with wonderful Steve Sipes upon his retirement.
resized_250499-sipes-adgxsipes0630-54_9-23288_t800.jpeg
resized_250499-sipes-adgxsipes0630-54_9-23288_t800.jpeg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 404 times
At Riverfront Park.
OIP (7).jpeg
OIP (7).jpeg (16.11 KiB) Viewed 404 times
The man himself.
OIP (5).jpeg
OIP (5).jpeg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 404 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

We have a member named Pulaski, but I know nothing more. :shrug:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Am I the only one whose first thought on hearing Pulaski is of the firefighter's tool?
Estiveoshot_20220308_100516.jpg
Image Image Image Image

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”