BREAKING 🚨🚨 @CBSNews // UN
Russia Vetoes Ukraine vote UN SecCO
US/Albania Reso fails
Vote: Yes 11 No 1 Abstain 3
Yes: France UK US Albania Brazil Gabon Ghana Ireland Kenya Mexico Norway
No: Russia (veto)
Abstain: UnitedArabEmirates, China, India
https://twitter.com/PamelaFalk/status/1 ... 43681?s=20

Alexander S. Vindman @AVindman wrote: That’s serious somewhere between 125 to 225 paratroopers, depending on how it was configured.
Illia Ponomarenko @IAPonomarenko wrote: JUST IN:
Ukraine’s Air Defense downed a Russian Ilyushin II-76 carrying a landing force near Vasylkiv south of Kyiv
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by raison de arizona »

Where's the proud emoticon? U.S. Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield gets one.

Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield @USAmbUN wrote: United States government official

Russia can veto this resolution, but cannot veto our voices.

Russia cannot veto the truth.

Russia cannot veto our principles.

Russia cannot veto the Ukrainian people.

Russia cannot veto the UN Charter.

And Russia will not veto accountability.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Disgusting.
The Kyiv Independent @KyivIndependent wrote: ⚡️The Russian military seized two vehicles of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, changed into Ukrainian uniform and are moving to the center of Kyiv. They are followed by a column of Russian military trucks, says Deputy Defense Minister.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Is Putin really pushing his "Ukrainian military overthrows corrupt government" lie? By grabbing some trucks and leading with them?
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Actually looking at the date that happened yesterday morning. Whatever they were doing, they were obviously kicked out of Kiev.

More News.
The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·2m⚡️More shelling reported near power plant in northern Kyiv.

For the second time in the past 24 hours, Russians are trying to attack a thermal power station in Troieshchyna, Kyiv’s northern left-bank area.

The Ukrainian military is repelling the attacks.
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:49 am The Russians have never met a civilian they didn't try to kill, remember Syria?
:snippity:
I've seen reports this is fake. Dunno.
If it's fake it fooled at least MSNBC. They did not show footage that I saw, but they did report on the story, noting that the man was pulled from the car and survivrd.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Important thing to remember:

Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:09 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:49 am The Russians have never met a civilian they didn't try to kill, remember Syria?
If it's fake it fooled at least MSNBC. They did not show footage that I saw, but they did report on the story, noting that the man was pulled from the car and survivrd.
There was a video that looked fake of a plane being shot down. Vindman retweeted it. Several said it’s from a video game. Who can say.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:09 pm
As I said, Snopes said its real.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/02/25/ ... -kyiv-car/
Hic sunt dracones
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hadn't expected this tweet to go so viral, it's based on a story in The Guardian. Won't happen but interesting about Russia taking the seat of the USSR.
OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious
Replying to @jonsoltz
If Russia does not unconditionally withdraw from Ukraine, expel it from the UN Security Council. "Diplomats are challenging Russia’s right to a permanent UNSC seat on the grounds it took the seat from the defunct USSR in 1991 without proper authorization."

India's Ambassador posted this bullsh*t excuse for their abstention & said I was disappointed. Now half of India is mad at me. Sorry not sorry.
PR/Amb T S Tirumurti@ambtstirumurti·5hIn UN Security Council meeting on #Ukraine today, India abstained on the vote on draft resolution.
Our Explanation of Vote ⤵️

OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious·3h
Hugely disappointing. How many innocent Ukrainian lives is India willing to "abstain" over?
BBC News (World) @BBCWorld 13h
127 civilian casualties in Ukraine, with 25 people killed and 102 injured, due to "shelling and airstrikes", UN human rights office says

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona

:thumbsup:
raison de arizona

Illia Ponomarenko @IAPonomarenko wrote: Vasylkiv mayor says Ukraine’s 40th Brigade together with local home guard war parties have successfully repelled the Russian landing operation near the key airfield south of Kyiv.
By dawn, after a night of fierce action, fighting is dying down.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Illia Ponomarenko @IAPonomarenko wrote: Russian losses now, according to 🇺🇦Ukraine’s military.
14 airplanes
8 helicopters
102 tanks
536 armored cars,
15 artillery pieces,
1 BUK-1 system,
3,500 killed, nearly 200 taken prisoner
FWIW a lot of people think the 3,500 killed figure may be vastly inflated. And the other numbers too, also. Dunno.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Uh oh. This is bad for Putin

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Japan firm-owned cargo ship hit by missile off Ukraine
KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - 3 hours ago - 12:02 | Japan, All
A cargo ship owned by a Japanese firm was hit by a missile off the coast of Ukraine in the Black Sea on Friday, injuring one crew member, the marine transportation firm in western Japan said Saturday.

The Panamanian-registered cargo ship Namura Queen was damaged and one of the 20 Filipino crew sustained a non-life threatening injury to his shoulder, according to the firm based in Imabari, Ehime Prefecture.

The ship can operate under its own steam and has headed to Turkey where the damage to the vessel will be assessed, the firm said.

Ukraine authorities said the missile was fired by Russian forces, following their military invasion of Ukraine earlier this week, according to Reuters.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2022 ... raine.html
raison de arizona

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:58 am FWIW a lot of people think the 3,500 killed figure may be vastly inflated. And the other numbers too, also. Dunno.
Plane and Heli losses have been confirmed. Vids of burnt out Vehicles have been shown. Other than that, no way of knowing.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:51 pm On my way home from shopping, I was thinking about what Trump would have done differently. I realized that he would have gotten the same info re Russia's build-up of military forces at Ukraine's border and the detailed information on when they would have attacked. And he would have sat on it. He wouldn't have warned anyone. Not Ukraine. Not our allies.
According to the book "Only I Can Fix It" by Carol Lennig and Phillip Rucker says that Trump had serious plans to pull the US from NATO during his 2nd term. That was apparently a major goal of Putin's his.

Watching the news today, I was reminded of some things that happened with Trump that got me to thinking. I'm certain this is nothing original or even revelatory. I just thought I'd toss it out here in case anyone wanted to comment, tell me I'm getting paranoid, add any other information or whatever. So, here goes nothing. :mrgreen:

Obviously, Putin wanted Trump to win and helped him do so. For a number of years, the Republican platform had included a plank saying that the Republicans supported Ukraine in their struggles against Russia. During the 2016 Republican convention, the only thing Trump wanted changed was for that particular plank to be removed, though IIRC, there was never any explanation given for doing so. His team had nothing to say about anything else.

Then after Trump gets into office, he starts heavily criticizing NATO and making noise like he might pull the US out. Later, he starts claiming that it wasn't Russia who interfered in our election and got him elected, but rather Ukraine was interfering to try to get Hillary elected, but they failed. And, of course, the was the whole thing with trying to extort Zelenskyy into helping him against Biden by threatening to withhold much needed weaponry from them.

On top of all that is the report that he planned to actually go ahead and pull the US from NATO in his second term.

We also know that Putin has been planning to try and grab the rest of Ukraine for a while now. I'm wondering if Trump wasn't a big part of Putin's plot to take Ukraine (and who knows how much beyond that if the US was out of NATO.) Trump himself is unlikely to have come up with the idea of removing the Ukraine plank from the Republican platform, and why would he specifically blame Ukraine for and claim they tried to help Hillary? Since he was wanting to weaken our relations with out allies (as well as weakening NATO as a whole) he could just as easily have blamed a European country like his flunkies have tried to do with Italy and Germany in regards to the "stolen" 2020 election. Blaming Ukraine, however, may have helped turn his followers against Ukraine in general and make it easier for them to find excuses to support Russia in this war - which is what they're doing right now. And threatening to withhold the weapons from Ukraine would have been a win-win for Trump and Putin. If Ukraine refused to give into the pressure, then it's harder for them to push back against Russia - making Putin, and thus Trump, happy - and if they did give in and dummy up evidence of corruption by the Bidens, it would likely have helped Trump win a 2nd term, something Putin also wanted.

Trump wasn't able to achieve Putin's dream of having the US out of NATO, but Putin may have decided that he was either too far along in his plans to turn back even though he no longer had an ally in the White House, or he felt that what Trump had done had softened support for Ukraine among the American people enough that Biden would essentially have his hands tied as to how far he could go to support Ukraine.

Maybe I'm wandering a bit too far into tin foil hat territory, but if that's what's been going on, it seems even more important to keep Trump (or a different candidate who's willing to follow Trump/Putin's playbook) out of office. He (or a surrogate) could still pull us out of NATO and let Putin lose on the rest of Eastern Europe to rebuild the Russian empire.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

What Kriselda said.

I bet Putin was PISSED when Trump actually left office and went to Mierda Lardass on Jan. 20, 2021.

Putin would NEVER have left office. WHY wasn't Trump personally throwing people out of windows?

Because TRUMP IS A BABY. HE'S A WIMP. HE'S UNWORTHY.

And don't think Putin hasn't told him exactly that. :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

And Turnip has to be DYING that he's not in the White House this week. :mrgreen:

Edit: h/t pipistrelle for my new avatar
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:09 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:51 pm On my way home from shopping, I was thinking about what Trump would have done differently. I realized that he would have gotten the same info re Russia's build-up of military forces at Ukraine's border and the detailed information on when they would have attacked. And he would have sat on it. He wouldn't have warned anyone. Not Ukraine. Not our allies.
According to the book "Only I Can Fix It" by Carol Lennig and Phillip Rucker says that Trump had serious plans to pull the US from NATO during his 2nd term. That was apparently a major goal of Putin's his.

Watching the news today, I was reminded of some things that happened with Trump that got me to thinking. I'm certain this is nothing original or even revelatory. I just thought I'd toss it out here in case anyone wanted to comment, tell me I'm getting paranoid, add any other information or whatever. So, here goes nothing. :mrgreen:

works for me.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Good analysis, Kriselda. I would also add that, while Trump may be out of office, Putin knew that he could count on useful idiots Trump, Pompeo, and Carlson (and lesser idiots like Glenn Greenwald) to support his every move so that their verbal spewings could be played on Russia state TV.

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”