King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

John Thomas8

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by John Thomas8 »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I read that Harry and Megan's podcast on spotify was canceled after 12 episodes. I'm not going to speculate why (because everyone else is speculating, naturally,) and I never listened to it anyway, but I thought I would mention it.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I understand that they were not very much into this project. Podcasting is not like being on the TV.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

British TV ‘allowed monarchy to censor coverage of king’s coronation’
Royal spin doctors imposed ‘extraordinary restrictions’ on covering King Charles III’s accession, says ex-head of Sky News

Jim Waterson Media editor
Thu 14 Sep 2023 18.00 BST

British television channels agreed to let Buckingham Palace censor television coverage of King Charles’s coronation, according to the former boss of Sky News.

John Ryley, who stepped down in May after 17 years, said the monarchy imposed “extraordinary restrictions” on channels covering this year’s ceremony, including demanding the “Orwellian” right to retrospectively ban footage after it had been broadcast.

Reading from an agreement between the palace and broadcasters marked “private and confidential”, he told an audience at the Steve Hewlett Memorial Lecture how the palace controlled coverage: “The royal spin doctors had the opportunity to censor any pictures from the coronation before they could be replayed on the day … And the royal spin doctors dictated which clips of the footage could be shown in future broadcasts in what they called with an Orwellian phrase: ‘a perpetuity edit’.”

Ryley’s decision to speak out has broken the omertà around the secret agreements between British television and the royal family over coverage of formal events. His comments confirm many details previously reported in the Guardian about how Buckingham Palace controlled coverage of Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral and King Charles III’s coronation.

This included a WhatsApp group where royal courtiers would tell senior editors at the BBC, ITN, and Sky News in real time if the royal family wanted specific pieces of footage removed from circulation.

Ryley told the audience in London the royal family regularly escaped real scrutiny by broadcasters.

He said he regretted that Sky News made the “bad decision” to provide Prince Charles with a full list of questions before an interview with the future king in 2017: “If a viewer had interrogated us about whether that was entirely in keeping with our core values of being honest with our audiences it would have been hard to mount a robust defence. Imagine submitting a list of questions to a top politician or business leader. Maybe in a puppet state.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... n-coverage
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Oh dear… he didn’t like the appearance contracts, he could have not covered the events or held the interview.

No one forced Sky to do either.

Its not like Sky wouldn’t air stolen or illegally obtained material… or false or misleading… that would truely be Orwellian
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

:violin:
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

All these thingss were in the Monarchy's churches and palaces and they could have said "one camera feed, which we'll control" and you'd have been kind of screwed now wouldn't you?

Which was often how the feed was given. So what, what government let's anyone with an Iphone record and boradcast everyting they do? Even ppretty open things like the White House Press Room where in addition to networks we all know, there are more than a few guys in there who are basically mid-level bloggers, you don't get to control the footage.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Let’s speculate that Sky UK had an interview with
Brian Robert*

Who as a condition of the interview wanted the questions in writing before the interview.. is that Orwellian?
If after the interview he wasn’t happy with the footage for good (wardrobe failure) or any (bad hair day) reason, who Sky News refuse his demands with respect to that footage? Knowing in advance that the footage was conditional on his oversight? Is that Orwellian?

* the principal individual shareholder is Brian Roberts, chairman and CEO of Comcast, holding executive positions within the company since the 1990s. He owns 100% of Class B stocks, thus having significant voting power.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

IIRC, when she got coronated, Queen Consort Camilla became just plain Queen Camilla. Maybe the thread head needs chaging?
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:34 am IIRC, when she got coronated, Queen Consort Camilla became just plain Queen Camilla. Maybe the thread head needs chaging?
According to the site Royal Collection Trust
https://www.rct.uk/collection/themes/Tr ... en-consort
A consort is the title for the wife or husband of a monarch. In the past consorts have mostly been queens consort. A royal consort has no constitutional power but supports their spouse in his or her duties as sovereign. There are a several other titles for queens.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Mrich wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:57 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:34 am IIRC, when she got coronated, Queen Consort Camilla became just plain Queen Camilla. Maybe the thread head needs chaging?
A consort is the title for the wife or husband of a monarch. In the past consorts have mostly been queens consort. A royal consort has no constitutional power but supports their spouse in his or her duties as sovereign. There are a several other titles for queens.
I know that's how it's normally done, I just seem to recall they were going to do it differently for Camilla and drop the "Consort' from her title, in part because QEII had said she'd like to see her called "Queen Camilla" at one point. I dunno, I could be spitting into the wind.
much ado

Post by much ado »

The official royal family website clearly calls her Queen Camilla in many places, without qualification of any sort.

The Queen
Her Majesty The Queen (formerly HRH The Duchess of Cornwall) supports her husband, formerly The Prince of Wales, now His Majesty The King, in carrying out his work and duties. She also undertakes public engagements on behalf of the charities that she supports.
But I noticed that on the Coronation part of the website, she is called the "Queen Consort" in places.

So it looks like the term "Consort" is optional.

That may not make things any clearer...

ETA: Oh, I just found this very recent (Sep 8) Cosmopolitan article that delves into the issue of Camilla's title with more gusto than I can muster this late at night. But you may find it interesting. I'll read it tomorrow.

The History Behind Camilla Parker Bowles’ Queen Title Is Complicated
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:52 am
Mrich wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:57 am
I know that's how it's normally done, I just seem to recall they were going to do it differently for Camilla and drop the "Consort' from her title, in part because QEII had said she'd like to see her called "Queen Camilla" at one point. I dunno, I could be spitting into the wind.
I remember hearing that Queen Elizabeth said that, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Post by much ado »

Queen Elizabeth II said she would prefer that Camilla have the title Queen Consort rather than Princess Consort. Here is her quote from the Cosmopolitan article...
Either way, the late Queen made it abundantly clear that she wanted Camilla to go by Queen Consort, and even released a statement to mark her Platinum Jubilee that read, “When, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes king, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me. And it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.”
The article explains it...

The History Behind Camilla Parker Bowles’ Queen Title Is Complicated
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks for the links to the article! Very interesting stuff.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Any spouse of The Monarch is a consort Constitutionally, but it's very much like call a Lt Col on the Army Lt Col every time you address him is tedious, tiresome and unnecessary, in all but the most formal settings just "Colonel" is fine, so it is with. Consort.

Prince Phillip was, strictly speaking, Prince Consort Phillip for 73 years and I bet you can't find a single time anyone ever called him that except in some obscure legal documents where someone said it mattered.

much ado

Post by much ado »

So the upshot is that His Majesty the King has determined that his consort, Camilla, should be styled "Her Majesty the Queen", period.

And so, I agree with Kriselda that this thread's title should be changed to remove "Consort".
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I apologize for the posts that look like I'm drunk.

My phone does that to me.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

"Consort" has never been part of the person's styling as far as I recall, for British history). One can be a prince consort, a queen consort, even a king consort (possibly Philip of Spain?). That's a description of the role, not a title or styling.

It is always Prince Albert (husband of Queen Victoria), Queen Mary (wife of King George V), Queen Elizabeth (wife of King George VI, Elizabeth II's ma), etc. It is not a short form for (e.g.) Queen Consort Mary.

"Queen Consort Camilla” is and was incorrect. Queen Camilla is a queen consort.

As if I care about these folderols and furbelows! I am definitely not a member of the Windsor fan club.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

"Queen Consort Camilla” is and was incorrect. Queen Camilla is a queen consort
:yeahthat:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

A bunch of mountain bikers riding in Scotland near Balmoral ran into King Charles on the trail. They knew it was possible because of security in the area. The bits with the king start at around 4:20, where this will start. They discuss the presence of security at the beginning.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Buckingham Palace says

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68208157
It is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.
The type of cancer has not been revealed, but according to a palace statement the King began "regular treatments" on Monday.
Buckingham Palace says the King "remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible".
He will postpone his public engagements and it is expected other senior royals will help to stand in for him during his treatment.
No further details are being shared on the stage of cancer or a prognosis.
Although he will pause his public events, the King, 75, will continue with his constitutional role as head of state.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I wish him well, but I've had a sense for a long time that, given his age when becoming king, he might not be one for very long. He certainly has my wishes for a speedy recovery, though.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Wishing King Charles the very best. There was so much discussion about skipping Charles and going directly to King William. Hope there will be lots of time before that happens, but what an event it will be to see little William, always remembered behind his Mum, ascend the English throne.

OK, on the Consort question, here's some research from Bing. The title is different from how she is addressed.

Camilla, the wife of Charles, is officially known as **Queen Consort**¹²⁴⁵. This title was given to her upon the ascension of her husband, Charles, to the throne¹²⁴⁵. She is addressed as "Her Majesty The Queen" or "The Queen"⁶. It's important to note that a Queen Consort is different from a reigning Queen. A Queen Consort is the wife of a reigning King, while a reigning Queen is a female monarch whose rank, role, and title are equivalent to a King¹². Camilla will not share Charles' politically neutral role as the United Kingdom's head of state¹².

Source: Conversation with Bing, 2/5/2024
(1) What's the Difference Between Camilla's Queen Consort Title and ... - TODAY. https://www.today.com/popculture/queen- ... -rcna82849.
(2) Camilla's Title: "Queen Consort" Meaning | Trusted Since 1922. https://www.rd.com/article/camilla-park ... omes-king/.
(3) What is a Queen Consort? Camilla’s New Title Following Queen Elizabeth .... https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nationa ... h/2934747/.
(4) Who is the New Queen of England? Camilla's New Role as Queen Consort. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nationa ... t/2935725/.
(5) King Charles' Wife Camilla Goes From Queen Consort to Queen: Details. https://www.etonline.com/king-charles-w ... oyal-title.
(6) What is a Queen Consort? Camilla’s New Title Following Queen Elizabeth .... https://bing.com/search?q=current+offic ... of+Charles.

So do we want it changed, removing "Consort", or putting a question mark and parenthesis around "Consort?". I defer to our UK members with great respect.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

We had the consort discussion a while ago. The title is Queen, the job description is queen consort. The old queen, Queen Elizabeth II, was a queen regnant, the head of state. A queen consort does not have a regnal number because she is not heard of anything, she is just the king's squeeze.

QEII's ma was also named Elizabeth, she was the wife then widow of King George VI, and she was known as Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother in her widowhood, so Queen was a courtesy title. No regnal number coz not regnant.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”