Wisdom teeth

Gregg

Wisdom teeth

Post by Gregg »

Friday was the the first day of my usually long but this year just 10 days Vacation. As I often do I spend the first day getting routine medical things out of the way. So Friday they pulled one, the last, of my wisdom teeth. The other three were more or less routine but for reasons unexplained this one hurts like being dropped from a truck that then backs up over you so it can not back up but forward over you again.

It hurts. More than I thought it would. They gave me 15 Tylenol 4 with Codeine for it. I tried but last night I gave in.

I have spent the last 12 hours trying to sleep, failing, and taking another one to see if it helps (I write it down so I don't take them all and assume room temperature) I don't usually drink and never take drugs for recreational purposes, no matter how much I joke about doing so.

I am now bouncing back and forth between "this hurts more than I think it should" and "Holy phuck I love Codeine".

I will probably spend a few thousand dollars on EBay and Amazon, I drunk shop. Its not a bad character flaw if you can afford it.

I also post whatever I'm thinking. Which I must stay off of Facebook when I do because it triggers me and I might start a war.

So I'm gong to promise myself not to leave this site all day until the drugs run out or the tooth hole stops hurting.

I think I'm pretty funny when this happens. Of course, I think like drunks and small dogs courage which is to say I think I'm a lot funnier now than I will tomorrow when I am not inebriated.

So depending on your point of view, either forgive me for wasting the electrons, or look for my posts because they're funny.

Whatever suits the situation.

Forever and ever...

GBE :bag:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Patagoniagirl

Re: Wisdom teeth

Post by Patagoniagirl »

We're here for ya Kiddo!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

What are you buying?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Wanna hear a wisdom tooth story that’ll make you thank your lucky stars? No? Too bad.

I was 19, studying at George Mason when it was in Fairfax and still part of UVA, living in Manassass, and working at The Junction, a popular bar near the train station.

One of my regulars was Dr. Payne (not kidding), a local dentist. When my wisdom teeth started acting up he offered to fix me up. So I made appointments.

He worked in two phases - first appointment off came top left and bottom right. So far, so good. Painless, no problems.

Two weeks later I was in the chair for the other two. His usual hygienist was on vacation so his sister, also a hygienist, took her place. We small-talked and I settled in. Dr PAYNE placed the giant needle in the crook of my upper right jaw. He was standing at an awkward angle because his assistant was in his way. I guess they hadn’t perfected the dance that people who work in close quarters learn to stay out of each others way.

Just then the ‘bong bong’ of the timer mixing someone else’s amalgam sounded and the sister rolled her chair sideways, got up and left the room to deal with it. Except she had rolled her chair right on top of the controls to MY chair and I was slowly rising up, needle stuck firmly in the back corner of my jaw. Doc was all contorted trying to disengage the needle; his mouth was very close to my ear so I clearly heard him bellowing at his sis but she couldn’t. I heard a loud noise inside my head. The tip of the needle has broken off inside my gums.

Doc was totally still for a beat. He looked at the tipless needle. “Ohhhh shit” he said. He hadn’t gotten much novacain inside the gum but lots dripped from the needle in the next few minutes. It burned like hell. He tried and failed to get the tip out before I fled the office in agony. I went to another dentist to get that done.

Bastard had the nerve to send me a bill! Which I did not pay. He didn’t show his face at the bar for a long time.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Oh please, post on facebook, but friend me first. I've blocked and deleted so many crazies that my time line is relatively calm and I could use the excitement of a war. I might even help because I'm so frustrated that just about the only person left on my feed that is spouting stupid shit is my sister and I can't really unload on her without bringing down the wrath of my parents.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I feel ya Sister!

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

I can't remember if it was late 1976 or 1977, but I made the delightful decision to have all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time. My appointment was for 1:00 p.m. and I eventually left at 4:30. The dentist has a wound on his forearm and had to cancel a late afternoon doctor's appointment. Two of my wisdom teeth were impacted and one had a root with a hook-shaped end. The gnarly one took nearly 2 1/2 hours to remove because all the roots were hooked and wrapped around my jaw bone.

I didn't know that dentists had such tools, but my dentist ended up using a hammer and chisel to split that tooth. Eventually he plucked out 24 enamel shards that 3 1/2 hours earlier was a wisdom tooth. I was a young land surveyor at the time and I went to work the next day with a brain addled by Percocets. Seeing that I was nearly useless I was tasked with tying orange flagging around 16d nails all day. :dazed:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

My sister had a dry socket once after a pulled tooth. Pure agony for days. Be careful.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:39 pm
What are you buying?
He will wake up tomorrow morning with an email from eBay saying he won a Bizzarini and please pay now
Trump appoints Incitatus to lead corona virus response.
#KingDonaldsPlague

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

When I was 19, I went to my dentist with jaw pain. Wisdom teeth, of course, 4, 2 impacted. So I made the appointment with the oral surgeon for the first week of December.

I went in to get the first 2 extracted, but I had a cough and congestion. They said come back in a week. Well, the congestion worsened to bronchitis, then to pneumonia. I would have been hospitalized but my older sister had just come down with a mysterious illness (with internal bleeding, kidney problems, very high fever, sunburn rash, skin flaking, really weird blood) and was in isolation at the hospital. The various doctors decided I could be treated at home so my mom wouldn’t have 2 kids in the hospital over Christmas.

Well, I turned out to be allergic to penicillin. Rash everywhere. Then I had an outbreak of cold sores so bad my lips would fuse together at night. Several times a day my dad had to pound on my back to loosen up my lungs. But The Good Sister (that’s her TFB handle) was sicker.

Eventually we all got better and they sent me to my grandparents in Florida to escape winter and bake the fatigue away. (Record cold destroyed the orange crop. So much for that idea.) when I came back in April, my teeth were constantly hurting. It was time to yank ‘Em.

The surgeon decided that I needed to have them out in the hospital, all at once, overnight. I had an interesting reaction to whatever the anesthesia was and ended up punching a nurse as I was coming out of it, apologizing the whole time. That night, I was half awake as the ice packs slowly melted and dripped down my front, drop by torturous drop. If I were more awake, I would have realized I should just sit up and readjust the damn thing; but I’m pretty stupid when I’m half asleep. Very long night.

They didn’t figure out what the Good Sister had, but enough IV antibiotics and fluids seemed to make it go away. She was in isolation for a month, I think. They kept blood and tissue samples for research. This was in 1976. A few years later her doctor called her with a diagnosis: Toxic Shock Syndrome. She’s lucky to be alive.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

That is like, possible.

The order, not paying for it.

But usually goofy stuff, pet beds, car cleaning kit, I once no shit changed to Gieco and saved more than 15% doing, The rolling hose reel in the backyard, a "Boss 302" winter jacket and either pet toys that might be sex toys, or sex toys that might be pet toys. My categories for toys are "toddler, Pet and Sex" and we ain't got no toddlers.

Popeyes Chicken Promotional Items (you have to search Quatloos for why that is so funny I just peed my pants a little)

A trip to Laos. or for that matter, Army Airborne School which was Bourbon not Codeine. I'll think of more....
:bag:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Gregg wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:33 pm
:snippity: The rolling hose reel in the backyard, a "Boss 302" winter jacket and either pet toys that might be sex toys, or sex toys that might be pet toys. My categories for toys are "toddler, Pet and Sex" and we ain't got no toddlers.
:snippity:
Why not both?
Sekrit Stuffs!
0C1EC334-77A4-4F06-917F-EA88236FA572.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I still have all my wisdom teeth, slightly crooked but unimpacted, in late middle age . . . I feel guilty. Not really. Not at all.

Wrapped around the bone? :shock:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I had all mine until around 35, all 4 impacted. Occasional pain every 6 months or so for a week, but I was not excited about having it done. But then it got really bad so I gave in, scheduled with the oral surgeon, and had them all pulled in an afternoon.

Good pain meds and within a week I was fine.

I still hated it.

If these teeth are part of God's "intelligent design", I fail to see the "wisdom". :think:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neonzx wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:44 pm
I had all mine until around 35, all 4 impacted. Occasional pain every 6 months or so for a week, but I was not excited about having it done. But then it got really bad so I gave in, scheduled with the oral surgeon, and had them all pulled in an afternoon.

Good pain meds and within a week I was fine.

I still hated it.

If these teeth are part of God's "intelligent design", I fail to see the "wisdom". :think:

Carry over from "Ape 6.3" model. They don't make sense once installed but removing that station from the process doesn't make sense so we get 'em. Same thing as the Number 7 snap ring in a 4R100/E4OD, it doesn't do anything.

Return to “Current Events”