Appliances

Phoenix520
Verified:

Appliances

Post by Phoenix520 »

This is not an optimum time to NEED to purchase a new household appliance. Supply chain issues, inflation, COVID - there’s an epic confluence of difficulties.

We bought our home 2 1/2 years ago. We bought washer/dryer, refrigerator, whole house water filtration system* when we moved in; the oven and range were adequate and…unusual in configuration, so we didn’t replace those. It would have required a remodel we weren’t ready for. The GE oven is electric. The range is gas; the grill attached to the range is electric. The whole setup is old. The oven’s computer motherboard is probably in death throes. If I use the convection oven controls, the oven throws the breaker a minute after it reaches the set temp. I have to wait 10-15 minutes before it will reset. Using the regular oven controls doesn’t do the same thing, but using the toaster oven or electric kettle at the same time the oven is on, does.

This year it died for several days just before Thanksgiving and wouldn’t reset. My sibs ended up bringing the turkey and pies. But…when I returned from the hospital it had miraculously fixed itself and I haven’t had any trouble since. HOWEVER…

I’ve been reading a lot about emissions in the kitchen. In some super-insulated homes, the AQ inside the home is worse than outside. Much of this is due to gas appliances (pilots, leakage) and the VOCs emitted while cooking. I want to swap out the gas cooktop for an induction cooktop. Does anyone have experience with something similar? Induction cooktops? Suggestions? One of the issues I ran into was finding one that will mesh with the GE oven, but I’m replacing that, too. No more worries.

Induction is cleaner all ‘round. You can only use pots and pans that a magnet will stick to; I don’t use aluminum to cook so I wont have to buy new (dang it). Does it improve the home’s resale value?

What say ye, Boogle?

* -oooooh, what a brilliant move. If you have super dry skin, like I do, removing chlorine from your daily shower is heaven.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: Appliances

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:11 am This is not an optimum time to NEED to purchase a new household appliance. Supply chain issues, inflation, COVID - there’s an epic confluence of difficulties.

We bought our home 2 1/2 years ago. We bought washer/dryer, refrigerator, whole house water filtration system* when we moved in; the oven and range were adequate and…unusual in configuration, so we didn’t replace those. It would have required a remodel we weren’t ready for. The GE oven is electric. The range is gas; the grill attached to the range is electric. The whole setup is old. The oven’s computer motherboard is probably in death throes. If I use the convection oven controls, the oven throws the breaker a minute after it reaches the set temp. I have to wait 10-15 minutes before it will reset. Using the regular oven controls doesn’t do the same thing, but using the toaster oven or electric kettle at the same time the oven is on, does.

This year it died for several days just before Thanksgiving and wouldn’t reset. My sibs ended up bringing the turkey and pies. But…when I returned from the hospital it had miraculously fixed itself and I haven’t had any trouble since. HOWEVER…

I’ve been reading a lot about emissions in the kitchen. In some super-insulated homes, the AQ inside the home is worse than outside. Much of this is due to gas appliances (pilots, leakage) and the VOCs emitted while cooking. I want to swap out the gas cooktop for an induction cooktop. Does anyone have experience with something similar? Induction cooktops? Suggestions? One of the issues I ran into was finding one that will mesh with the GE oven, but I’m replacing that, too. No more worries.

Induction is cleaner all ‘round. You can only use pots and pans that a magnet will stick to; I don’t use aluminum to cook so I wont have to buy new (dang it). Does it improve the home’s resale value?

What say ye, Boogle?

* -oooooh, what a brilliant move. If you have super dry skin, like I do, removing chlorine from your daily shower is heaven.
We have had an induction cooktop since we remodeled in 2007. It is great.

I don't know about improving resale value. Our glass top is getting a little cruddy looking, but doesn't harm the cooking in any way. Probably will replace the cooktop before sale anyway.

I don't think I've seen any cookware that was not induction friendly since we got ours. Induction is so ubiquitous in Oz why would you bother to stock stuff that was specifically not? Sure there are lots of gas and electric cooktops around, but anything that works on induction also works on them. Why limit your customer base? Is this not so in the US as well?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We hate change?

They’ve been here for a couple of decades but they're not well-known. I didn't know much about them until recently. The anti-induction team has better marketing. Most of what I hear about induction is about the barriers, which boil down to :lol: cookware.
tek

Post by tek »

Almost all of our cookware is not induction-compatible, so induction was/is a non-starter for us.

Back in the Massachusetts house we put in a 36" Bosch radiant cooktop maybe 2012-ish. Loved it.

The house here in FL has a Samsung radiant cooktop, it cooks fine but the controls are stupid stupid stupid. My experience with this all-Samsung kitchen is that Samsung kitchen appliances should be avoided.

A few weeks ago I went on the hunt to replace the top-of-the-line piece-of-junk Samsung dishwasher. Good luck. Anything I'd want to buy was at least 20 weeks out. Appliance leadtimes are crazy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We've had a seven burner radiant glasstop for ten years or more. GE Adora. Love it. Convection oven. Easy to use. Easy to clean. We can do a lot of cookin all at once.

Immabettin your stove / breaker issues have turned into breaker issues. Breakers wear out. Each time they are tripped they lose a little life, and trip a little easier. That's designed in so people are forced to look into the real problem, not just reset the breaker and go about their lives. Eventually the breaker can't be reset.

So, a couple things need to happen. The breaker needs to be replaced, and the source of the overload needs to be identified. It could be as simple as too small of a breaker for the stove. You'll have to find the OEM docs to see what they publish for full load, and size the breaker appropriately. OTOH, it could be as stupid as someone miswired the kitchen tying new counter outlets to one side of the stove outlet so they didn't have to run a feed all the way back to the panel. Insanity, but it happens.
tek

Post by tek »

bill_g has a good point.

"Using the regular oven controls doesn’t do the same thing, but using the toaster oven or electric kettle at the same time the oven is on, does" is a red flag
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I bought a new place last year and am in a situation where the previous owners didn't take care of things and thus I've been wanting to replace everything. Problem being the things I want are back ordered for months. I do want to replace the gas oven with something newer. I see all these ovens now allowing air frying as well
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:41 am I see all these ovens now allowing air frying as well
Air frying? That is an invented marketing term/gimmick -- it's a device that circulates air fast around foods being cooked.

They are called convection ovens. They do not "fry" anything.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Replacing appliances in the time of supply chain bottlenecks will not yield immediate gratification. I ordered three large appliances in August. The cheapest (a dishwasher) was delivered in November. I am told that the refrigerator and the Miele induction range will arrive on Friday (February 18), but I have my doubts about the range. (I am guessing I still have another 3-6 month wait on that item.) While most of the cookware I had was compatible with induction, I used the new range as an excuse to buy some new All-Clad cookware.

Unfortunately, the appliances will not increase the value of my property - almost all of the value is in the land. If the property were sold, the house would be immediately torn down and replaced with something twice as large (and with a second floor to capture the view). If I do rebuild/remodel, I will set the appliances aside and use them in the new/updated house.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:41 am I bought a new place last year and am in a situation where the previous owners didn't take care of things and thus I've been wanting to replace everything. Problem being the things I want are back ordered for months. I do want to replace the gas oven with something newer. I see all these ovens now allowing air frying as well
When the electric element in our oven broke in two last year, we got a countertop convection oven/air fryer rather than buying a new full-sized conventional oven. We never have big meals, so the smaller size suits us just fine. We've falling in love with it. Stuff cooks faster and a lot of it comes out better, and the air-frying mode is frickin' awesome! Fried foods aren't nearly as greasy because you only use a couple spoonsful of oil and it's really crispy! The one we got is from Ninja, IIRC (since I'm bedridden I can't go check and hubby's asleep, but I'm about 99% sure that's what we bought.)

ETA: NeonZX is correct in that it's not really frying, but I used that term since its what everyone is calling it and I figured it'd make saying what I like about our over easier to explain/understand.
tek

Post by tek »

Air frying is convection bake, but with more air velocity
keith

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:12 am
Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:41 am I see all these ovens now allowing air frying as well
Air frying? That is an invented marketing term/gimmick -- it's a device that circulates air fast around foods being cooked.

They are called convection ovens. They do not "fry" anything.
:yeahthat:

We have a bench top 'toaster oven' that we use almost exclusively to our big oven - it is the perfect size for the two of us. Our big oven gets used about twice a year if that. I hate the big oven and the controls it came in with. The fan is noisy as fuck, and seemingly cannot be repaired. It like the cooktop was new in 2007.

The toaster oven has an air fry function which I can't figure out what its point is. It does have a special basket shelf which works better for some foods without having to use baking paper sometimes. I use air fry for prepared frozen fish usually, but only because I it exists on the device.

The toaster oven also has a pizza function which I can't figure out what it does that bake doesn't do. I would guess that it tries to cook mostly from the bottom, but I can't really see any difference from one to the other. What ever. SWMBO does make a pretty good pizza, but she is kinda inconsistent with the texture of the pizza dough base, so maybe I'm seeing the results of that, not the results of the oven function.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith

Post by keith »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:24 am :snippity:
If the property were sold, the house would be immediately torn down and replaced with something twice as large (and with a second floor to capture the view).
Yeah, we've done a major remodel and a couple of minor ones. Its pretty personalized, and maybe not suitable for a lot of people. When we did the major upgrade, I let the architect talk me down on a couple of points that he said would make the place unsellable. As it stands it isn't outrageous, but the spaces maybe aren't laid out well for a family with a couple of kids but I suppose they could make it work reasonably well if they had a teenager that needed his/her own space - actually as I think about it little fiddling could make it quite nice for that - or even a live-in parent.

But I've always maintained that the way the neighbourhood is going around here, and the size of the block we have, it pretty much means that the first time the new owner enters the house after closing he'll be driving a bulldozer.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This house is 44 years old. We designed it and had it built. My kitchen is a galley kitchen, which has fallen out of fashion these days, but I like working in it. It's the same size as the house we moved from; everybody commented on how big that kitchen was. My kitchen is not small, but nobody talks about how big it is. The kitchen was remodeled with new cabinets and all new appliances about 25 years ago. I had to replace the microwave above the gas cooktop about four or five years ago. The one that fit the space best, a high-end model, is a combination microwave/convection oven. My problem with it is that I'm 5'2" tall. I really can't safely use it as a convection oven. It gets way too hot.

The house is open concept, except for the kitchen. I would not want to have my kitchen in view all the time. Stuff piles up; it gets cleaned; piles up again. I don't mean I don't do dishes every day. It's a workroom. Why would I want to look at it when I'm not working in it?

I watch HDTV. It's full of open-concept homes (I read that the network popularized the trend.). I like all the space, but most of these people are younger with younger kids or kids to come. All that open space may be fine for younger families, but when kids become teenagers, things change.

Good luck, Phoenix.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”