Coronavirus: Prison Populations

Addie

Coronavirus: Prison Populations

Post by Addie »

Miami Herald: Nearly 500 Miami jail inmates, a staggering 41 percent tested, have caught the coronavirus ...

The rate of infection dwarfs the rate of infection among the public in Miami-Dade, where state statistics show just over 11 percent of those tested for the coronavirus have tested positive.

Miami-Dade’s corrections department released the statistics Tuesday to county commissioners as part of a memo updating efforts to control the highly contagious virus throughout the system’s three jails. The total: 481 inmates of 1,166 inmates have tested positive, the memo said.

The head of the jail system’s medical services told commissioners during Tuesday’s meeting that 10 inmates have been hospitalized. One inmate, Charles Hobbs, has died of complications from the virus. Almost all with symptoms have been treated at the jail. No inmate tests are pending.

“If they have fevers, we take care of their fevers. If they have coughs, we take care of their coughs,” said Edith Wright, who works for the county-funded Jackson hospital system, which provides medical care for inmates. “The asymptomatic ones don’t receive treatment. But they are monitored numerous times throughout the day. They get temperature checks.”

With tight quarters and social distancing nearly impossible, inmates in jails and prisons across the United States have been particularly susceptible to the spread of the virus.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Coronavirus: Prison Populations

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Around 60% of the prisoners in the Federal Correctional Institute at Terminal Island (Los Angeles County) are infected.

https://abc7.com/inmates-terminal-islan ... s/6152376/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

The masks I've been making are going to locked facilities here because they aren't being provided masks by anyone else. I dropped off 600 Monday morning and at least half of those are going to the federal prison in Yazoo City where they have a breakout. Citizens sure don't mind raising loud hell about the non-violent prisoners being released to avoid the virus but not a peep out of them about the total lack of masks provided by the jail. Even the jailers don't give a shit. The administrator of the third largest jail in the state can't even be bothered to fill out a 10-field form to get the free masks MS Justice Institute is providing and then gets out in public (and private) and bitches about not having masks. He told one of their attorneys that he wouldn't request the masks because the MIJ had sued them after several inmates died. The first positive cases in his jail were 17 guards, including himself. Now they have multiple cases of the inmates who were infected by the guards.

As of Monday, we had provided over 4000 masks from a list of 17,000+ requests.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press: Federal prison system to begin moving nearly 7K inmates

WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal Bureau of Prisons will begin moving about 6,800 inmates who have been waiting in local detention centers across the U.S. to federal prisons to avoid jail overcrowding in the coronavirus pandemic, officials said Friday.

It’s not clear when it would begin. The inmates will be sent to one of three designated quarantine sites — FCC Yazoo City in Mississippi, FCC Victorville in California and FTC Oklahoma City — or to a Bureau of Prisons detention center.

All the inmates who are being moved will be tested for COVID-19 when they arrive at the Bureau of Prisons facility and would be tested again before they are moved to the prison where they would serve their sentence.

The prisoners have already been sentenced to federal crimes but were unable to be moved from local facilities as the coronavirus pandemic struck over concerns the virus would spread rampantly.

In a memo issued to staff earlier this week, Bureau of Prisons officials said the inmates would be held there “until such time that inmates can be moved safely to their final destination.” The BOP says it has suspended most transfers of inmates already in the federal system, but there are still exceptions for forensic studies, medical or mental health treatment, residential reentry and inmates who are wanted by other juristictions.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Addie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 pm
Associated Press: Federal prison system to begin moving nearly 7K inmates

WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal Bureau of Prisons will begin moving about 6,800 inmates who have been waiting in local detention centers across the U.S. to federal prisons to avoid jail overcrowding in the coronavirus pandemic, officials said Friday.

It’s not clear when it would begin. The inmates will be sent to one of three designated quarantine sites — FCC Yazoo City in Mississippi, FCC Victorville in California and FTC Oklahoma City — or to a Bureau of Prisons detention center.

All the inmates who are being moved will be tested for COVID-19 when they arrive at the Bureau of Prisons facility and would be tested again before they are moved to the prison where they would serve their sentence.

The prisoners have already been sentenced to federal crimes but were unable to be moved from local facilities as the coronavirus pandemic struck over concerns the virus would spread rampantly.

In a memo issued to staff earlier this week, Bureau of Prisons officials said the inmates would be held there “until such time that inmates can be moved safely to their final destination.” The BOP says it has suspended most transfers of inmates already in the federal system, but there are still exceptions for forensic studies, medical or mental health treatment, residential reentry and inmates who are wanted by other juristictions.
And yet Yazoo City has covid positive inmates already.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NJ
The Trentonian: COVID-19 'outbreak' declared after 88 inmates infected at Mercer County jail

An "outbreak" of COVID-19 has infected nearly 30 percent of the Mercer County Correction Center's 302 inmates, county officials acknowledged.

Positive cases of the deadly virus jumped from five as of May 12 to 88 nine days later, county officials said, with results of least another 50 tests pending.

Officials insisted "nearly all" the inmates who are positive for the virus were asymptomatic, which is contradicted by what dozens of inmates and their loved ones told The Trentonian in interviews over the past week.

Some of the inmates exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms were allowed to remain in general population for weeks until positive test results returned, increasing the chances that they'd infect other inmates, attorneys and inmates said.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess prisons in the US will be the first to confirm the herd immunisation theory :blackeye:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 am
The masks I've been making are going to locked facilities here because they aren't being provided masks by anyone else. I dropped off 600 Monday morning and at least half of those are going to the federal prison in Yazoo City where they have a breakout. Citizens sure don't mind raising loud hell about the non-violent prisoners being released to avoid the virus but not a peep out of them about the total lack of masks provided by the jail. Even the jailers don't give a shit. The administrator of the third largest jail in the state can't even be bothered to fill out a 10-field form to get the free masks MS Justice Institute is providing and then gets out in public (and private) and bitches about not having masks. He told one of their attorneys that he wouldn't request the masks because the MIJ had sued them after several inmates died. The first positive cases in his jail were 17 guards, including himself. Now they have multiple cases of the inmates who were infected by the guards.

My paltry donation of masks for the prisoners will be in the mail by Friday at the latest. I'm sewing as fast as these decrepit fingers will let me. I put out a call in the neighborhood for donations of materials to make prisoner masks not knowing if anyone would give a crap, especially in this very red neighbood. I have been overwhelmed with donations of pillow cases, shoe strings and sheets. It has (slightly) renewed my faith in humanity.

I'm going to call our now open Goodwill stores to see if they have any rag bags of donated T shirts in too poor a shape to sell to see if I can get those donated. Hubs cuts them into strips and I sew them up. Anybody have any other suggestions?
ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 am

My paltry donation of masks for the prisoners will be in the mail by Friday at the latest. I'm sewing as fast as these decrepit fingers will let me. I put out a call in the neighborhood for donations of materials to make prisoner masks not knowing if anyone would give a crap, especially in this very red neighbood. I have been overwhelmed with donations of pillow cases, shoe strings and sheets. It has (slightly) renewed my faith in humanity.

I'm going to call our now open Goodwill stores to see if they have any rag bags of donated T shirts in too poor a shape to sell to see if I can get those donated. Hubs cuts them into strips and I sew them up. Anybody have any other suggestions?
If you know a screen printer they have been pretty good about donating mis-printed t-shirts to the cause. Also, another group I know of has gotten donations of bed sheets and old scrubs from their hospital. They're using the scrubs as the lining in the masks with pretty fabric on the front. Hotels and laundry services might be another source for donations.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times: Supreme Court Refuses to Stop Order to Move Inmates From Virus-Ravaged Prison

The court’s action left in place a court order requiring prison officials to move more than 800 older or medically vulnerable prisoners from a facility that has seen nine deaths from Covid-19.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused a request from the Trump administration to block a trial judge’s ruling that had ordered federal prison officials to take steps to protect more than 800 older or medically vulnerable inmates at Elkton Federal Correctional Institution in Ohio, where nine prisoners have died from the coronavirus.

The Supreme Court’s brief, unsigned order turned in part on a procedural issue, and the majority said it might revisit the issue “if circumstances warrant.” Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel A. Alito Jr. and Neil M. Gorsuch said they would have granted the administration’s request for a stay.

Four prisoners filed a class-action lawsuit last month saying that conditions at the prison violated the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment. In a Supreme Court brief on their behalf, lawyers with the American Civil Liberties Union wrote that the prisoners were unable to take the most rudimentary efforts to protect themselves.

“They are housed, cheek by jowl, in dormitory-style rooms of approximately 150 persons each,” the brief said. “Though well aware that social distancing is an indispensable means of protecting themselves, they are powerless to use it. The result has been a severe Covid-19 outbreak lasting months, causing the deaths — so far — of at least nine people and infecting hundreds more among prisoners and staff.”

Return to “Coronavirus”