"AKA Jane Roe"

John Thomas8

"AKA Jane Roe"

Post by John Thomas8 »

Nick Sweeney's 5th documentary is called "AKA Jane Doe", a 79-minute look at Norma McCorvey, the "Jane Roe" of Roe v Wade set to air on 22 May on FX and the next day be available on Hulu. (Sweeny's IMDB page is here)

Here's an article about the show from Dan Taylor of the Press Democrat:

“I reached out to her because I had wanted to work with her for a long time,” he said. “But when I first called her, she swore at me and hung up. There went my hopes. We texted a few days later and she asked me to come see her. We met the next week. She was in Katy, near Dallas. We had Texas barbecue and hung out together. She was incredibly open.”

Filming began in 2016, the year before McCorvey died. The whole project took three years, including documentation, extensive interviews and editing, said Sweeney, an Australian-born New Yorker whose previous films explored the transgender experience and one company’s attempt to create a fully-functioning sex robot.

An interesting woman.

Addie

Re: "AKA Jane Roe"

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast: Jane Roe’s Deathbed Confession: Anti-Abortion Conversion ‘All an Act’ Paid for by the Christian Right
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

She was in Katy, near Dallas. We had Texas barbecue and hung out together.
Umm, Katy is a suburb of Houston. But it's one of those Texas cities!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Being "near" in Texas is a relative thing. I remember driving east to west across it. I believe that took 2.5 weeks. :-)

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Addie wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm
Daily Beast: Jane Roe’s Deathbed Confession: Anti-Abortion Conversion ‘All an Act’ Paid for by the Christian Right
That's what this film documents. It turned out her "conversion" was in some ways a troll job on the reich-wing anti-women side of the argument. She took their money but didn't really change her stance.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I read The Daily Beast article, too. It looks interesting.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched it on Friday night. It did turn out to be interesting, but sad. She was used by just about everybody in her life, but she understood she was being used and managed to turn it to her advantage.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

MRich

Post by MRich »

I just finished it. What a sad person. I guess she did the best she could, but she could have used a real friend.

I was glad that they got that 2nd minister (Rob Schenck?) to talk; he definitely impressed me with his frankness.

Return to “Social Issues”