John R. Pinder and Filomenu Ruiz: WHAT THE HECK

kickaha

John R. Pinder and Filomenu Ruiz: WHAT THE HECK

Post by kickaha »

This is from a Tenth Circuit habeas denial released recently. There aren't many notable issues in this case -- most of the opinion is conventional stuff about AEDPA review standards and procedural defaults. But I can't help but mention it because it leads off with a summary of the crime and HOLY TAP-DANCING CHRIST.

(WARNING: excessively innovative evidence disposal method)
Sekrit Stuffs!
John Pinder owned a sprawling ostrich ranch in Duchesne County. He and his ranch-hand, Filomeno Ruiz, were accused (and ultimately convicted) of murdering June Flood and Rex Tanner. Flood and Tanner also worked on Pinder’s ranch.
At some point the conversation turned to the “shrunken heads” that Pinder and DeHart had seen at a curiosity shop in Seattle. Eventually Pinder spoke of his hopes to someday acquire one. Pinder said to Ruiz, “let’s go get some heads.” Ruiz responded with a question: “four or two?” Pinder replied, “two.”
After grabbing a baseball bat, Pinder and Ruiz drove to the home where Flood and Tanner resided. Pinder violently assaulted Flood and Tanner, kidnapped them, and then shot them both with a 10 mm pistol. Pinder and Ruiz then left the murder scene and later returned with ammonium nitrate and dynamite, packed the bodies with the explosives, and set them off.
Police discovered the home in utter disarray, with blood on the bed sheets and the backrest of a chair in the living room. They also found a pair of excrement-stained pants in the bathroom.
Investigators later searched Pinder’s ranch and found a gruesome assortment of the victims’ remains strewn about the area, stuck in bushes, and hanging from trees.

SLQ

Re: John R. Pinder and Filomenu Ruiz: WHAT THE HECK

Post by SLQ »

:bigvomit: Way too creepy.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Welch then asked Pinder what it was like to kill someone. And in response, Pinder put his hand on Welch’s shoulder and said, “There’s no bigger rush, especially when you know you’re going to get away with it.” Pinder was convicted on all counts and sentenced to life with the possibility of parole on the aggravated murder charges, and to consecutive statutory terms on the other counts.

:shock:

Yeah, um, no. Appeal denied. Sit your ass back down.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs »

kickaha wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:09 pm

(WARNING: excessively innovative evidence disposal method)
Evidence distribution method...I've never understood people that think this is going to conceal anything.

kickaha

Post by kickaha »

LtDansLegs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Evidence distribution method...I've never understood people that think this is going to conceal anything.
They apparently haven't watched the video of the exploding whale.

(CAUTION: Video features exploding whale)

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs »

kickaha wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:10 pm
LtDansLegs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 pm
They apparently haven't watched the video of the exploding whale.

(CAUTION: Video features exploding whale)
One of my favoritest favorites....the anniversary was just a month or two ago

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”