Child Molester's Wife Sues Church for Reporting Him

DejaMoo

Child Molester's Wife Sues Church for Reporting Him

Post by DejaMoo »

Child molester’s wife sues Mormon church for $9.5 million, says husband is in prison because clergy reported his confession
The wife of an Oregon man serving a 15-year prison sentence for sexually abusing the couple’s daughter has filed a $9.5 million lawsuit against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, saying a clergy member violated a promise of confidentiality by reporting her husband to authorities.
:snippity:
In addition to herself, the woman also listed four of her children as plaintiffs, saying they all have been deprived of her husband’s “companionship, society, love, affection” and financial support. Not listed is the couple’s fifth child, who was molested by her father over four years when she was a pre-teen and teenager, according to criminal case records.

The lawsuit seeks $9.5 million for the family’s emotional distress and lost income and $40,000 for the money spent on a criminal defense lawyer to represent the husband on the child molestation charges.

A spokesman for the Utah-based Mormon church, which is listed as the sole defendant, said in a statement that one of its top priorities is “protecting victims and ensuring proper reporting."
I was incredulous that a parent would go after anyone who helped save her child. And then I remembered that in many dysfunctional families, a child will be selected as the family scapegoat and blamed for everything. This mom's striking back at her daughter by filing this suit.

Scum.
I've heard this bull before.

Slim Cognito

Re: Child Molester's Wife Sues Church for Reporting Him

Post by Slim Cognito »

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
:bigvomit: :bigvomit: :bigvomit: :bigvomit: :bigvomit:

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

(this isn't mean to be funny or condescending. it's the best way to describe how this horrible story makes me feel)
my electric typewriter is on the fritz so I fired up Windows 95 ImageImageImage x4

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:40 am
(this isn't mean to be funny or condescending. it's the best way to describe how this horrible story makes me feel)
This won't help:

MT court reverses $35M Jehovah's Witness case
The Supreme Court on Wednesday unanimously reversed $35 million in damages against the Jehovah's Witnesses, ruling the church did not violate Montana's mandatory reporting statute when it did not report child sexual abuse by a Thompson Falls congregation member to local authorities.
:snippity:
Reyes was "disfellowshipped" in 2004 after admitting to molesting a young girl and her brother, according to court documents. An attorney at the legal department of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses, relayed to Thompson Falls elders that Montana law did not require them to report Reyes' abuse to local authorities, so they didn't.

In 2005, the elders reinstated Reyes at his request. Nunez, then an 8-year-old girl, would later tell the elders he sexually assaulted her on a near-weekly basis for the next two years.

[The State Supreme Court ruled] that disclosing the abuse to authorities would have been a violation of the church's established practice — that elders handle the matter internally — which falls under an exemption of Montana's mandatory reporting statute.
I've heard this bull before.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

:torches: :cussing: :twoup: :smokeears: :kickface:
my electric typewriter is on the fritz so I fired up Windows 95 ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I’m with you, Slim

:madguy:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I agree with your disgust, but I also wonder (in a more detached way) whether there is any possibility of this scummy lawsuit succeeding.

it seems unlikely on public policy grounds that the law would support a plaintiff claiming damages because the defendant broke a promise to conceal criminiality. That would allow the partner of a criminal to claim damages from an associate of the criminal who informed on her/him to the police, on the basis that the partner had been deprived of the future proceeds of criminality, or the legitimate income of the criminal while s/he is imprisioned.

As I understand it, contracts where the parties agree to do something illegal are void ab initio. I would expect something similar with duties of confidentiality… but perhaps that is naive, as the extensive use of non-disclosure agreements suggests.

It seems to me more likely that a claim might succeed against a church or similar body for the opposite offense: for failing to inform authorities promptly, so allowing the criminal abuse to continue longer.

It is all very strange, and thoroughly distasteful.

Addie

Post by Addie »

:like: :like: :like:
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:22 am
:torches: :cussing: :twoup: :smokeears: :kickface:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

:like: :like: :like:

Slim I agree.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:19 am
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:40 am
This won't help:

MT court reverses $35M Jehovah's Witness case
[The State Supreme Court ruled] that disclosing the abuse to authorities would have been a violation of the church's established practice — that elders handle the matter internally — which falls under an exemption of Montana's mandatory reporting statute.
Your right. It didn't help.

I don't know if Illinois has the same exception but mandatory reporting was created because organizations would bury an issue to "protect" the organization. My demonation and diocese is quite clear. Mandatory reporting means you must report. It is the legal and right thing to do.

Every 5 years, I have to retake Keeping God's People Safe and I am glad we do that.
10 Years on Fogbow

North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Since Mormons are involved I assume GIL Klayman is not.

Yet.

Lani

Post by Lani »

I won a case against jehovah witnesses in Hawaii about child abuse a gazillion years ago. In particular, the female child was being groomed to appease the elders. It's a horrible thing to see a 9 yo tarted out in a miniskirt and tube top with high heels.

Got her to her mom who had fled the church.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I would have expected this in Turner, but not Stayton. There seems to be more nutjobs per capita in Turner than Stayton.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

I'm unfamiliar with both towns, so I'm curious about your assessment of the relative populations of nutjobs in Turner vs. Stayton. Care to elaborate, Zeke?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lani wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:41 am
I won a case against jehovah witnesses in Hawaii about child abuse a gazillion years ago. In particular, the female child was being groomed to appease the elders. It's a horrible thing to see a 9 yo tarted out in a miniskirt and tube top with high heels.

Got her to her mom who had fled the church.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Return to “Social Issues”