Extensions, extensions, extensions ...

Foggy

Extensions, extensions, extensions ...

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:26 am

Extensions are add-ons to the basic software that runs this site. You use them all the time, you just don't know it. Extensions provide things like:

- the little icons that help you format your posts. The basic icons don't let you do much more than italic and bold and links.

- the Board Announcements I make sometimes when there are things you need to know. That one is out of date (more on that below).

- the Media Embed plugin that lets you add YouTubes and so forth to your posts. I updated that one this morning.

- and there are a lot of others, like on the Board Index page you can see 24 hour stats now.

HOWEVER

1) This morning I had a problem with updating the Board Announcements extension. When I updated it, it broke the board. I un-updated it and the board seems to work. I will investigate this and maybe try again next Sunday (I do all maintenance chores at 6 a.m. Sunday mornings in order to minimize disruption to you, the users).

2) One of the extensions we've been using is called Recent Topics, and it puts some of the most recent topics (similar to the Active Topics list) on the Board Index page. Some of you hated it when I installed it. Some of you loved it. Some of you gave me reams of advice as to how many Recent Topics to show. I forget how many we ended up at -- ten maybe? -- but I don't look at them. You can disable Recent Topics by going to:
User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Edit Display Options
... and choosing whether or not to Display Recent Topics.
HOWEVER: That extension has fallen into abandon. It hasn't been updated by the developer (extensions are usually developed by private individuals) for more than two years. It has passed into the hands of at least three different developers over the years, but nobody is keeping it up to date.
THUS: I'm going to get rid of it, probably next Sunday at 6 a.m.

Here's a screenshot of the currently enabled Extensions, showing the above:

extensions.png
As you can see, the Board Announcements extension is outdated. Again, when I tried to update it this morning it broke something, so I'll keep working on that. The Recent Topics extension can't even figure out if it's up-to-date or not, because it's been so long since anybody worked on it. I'm going to lose that one, so enjoy it for one more week.

The master list of all the available Extensions I could possibly install is here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extensions-36

If you're a geek -- actually, on Fogbow we call ourselves "engineers" :lol: -- look through them and see if there are any that would change your lives for the better, and suggest them. I will then look at them and decide whether to try them or not.

Please note, each extension has a little box showing the version of phpBB with which it has most recently been tested. Our version of the software -- always up to date because that's how I roll -- is v. 3.2.8. If you suggest an extension that hasn't been tested with 3.2.8, I will now promise and guarantee that I will not install that one. Because that's also how I roll. Us forum engineers have standards, ya know.

And if anything isn't working after I updated about 8 other extensions this morning, please report problems here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Northland10

Re: Extensions, extensions, extensions ...

Post by Northland10 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 am

Oh No!!!! I'm going to lose the recent topics. Oh, wait. I disabled that a long time ago.

Never mind.

North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 am

Yeah, if you want to see all the most recent topics, I try to put a link at the top AND the bottom of every page on the forum to the Active Topics list.

That's how I use the forum to catch up with what everyone is saying:

I go to Active Topics. The icons show whether or not you have read all of the posts in a topic. AND if you click on the icon it automagically takes you to the first unread post in the topic. If there are so many unread posts that they go into the second page of the Active Topics list (or the third page, or fourth if I'm seriously behind), then I start there and work my way through all the unread posts.

Sometimes I think, wow, there are more than a million posts here and I've read them all. But that's how I roll some more, because I'm the Dick Tater and I gotta stay on top of it.

Also, one of the most important extensions is the PayPal Donation one. Some people are very generous and understand (stand under) that it costs a little more than $150 a month to pay for hosting and high-end security to make sure that we never get hacked again. And I do a lot of things to make sure the forum is always working. But it's always nice to support your favorite website(s). I donate to a few other sites I like.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:49 am

Special for Eurobot: LiveLeak works with the new Media Embed extension.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:49 am

When I saw the subject for the thread I was expecting more Brexit stuff.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:50 am

:rotflmao:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:57 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:49 am
When I saw the subject for the thread I was expecting more Brexit stuff.
I thought Foggy had gotten a weave.

ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 am

:shock: :nope: :talktothehand:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:07 am

Northland10 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 am
Oh No!!!! I'm going to lose the recent topics. Oh, wait. I disabled that a long time ago.

Never mind.
Me too, also. Forgot I had disabled it

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Upon reflection, I may leave it as is for now. It's not hurting anything. Anyone who didn't like it disabled it and forgot about it. There's no new version, so it doesn't need to be updated. And there may be some people who like it and use it.

If it ever causes a problem, I'll lose it then. But there's no reason to get rid of it next week.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Rooster with extension...

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 pm

:rotflmao:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 am

62D2AA81-426D-40AF-A512-B2A759B74A6D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “Announcements”