Happy Thanksgiving 2019, y'all!

Foggy

Happy Thanksgiving 2019, y'all!

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:48 am

Hasn't been a great year, what with a deranged criminal running our country's government.

But I'm thankful for many people in my life, starting with my wife and children - and my dad, who's still mentally sharp at 91. Trump’s efforts to destroy our livelihood has been only partially successful, so we're still in business and making a living the old fashioned way - by working hard. Maybe in a year or two, the health insurance business will be revived and improved. We can only hope.

I'm tremendously grateful for the people here on Fogbow. Y'all keep me sane in a world that doesn't seem to be very sane any more. We're going to come out on the other side of this nightmare someday, and I think we'll be able to look back and be proud of how we handled it.

And I'm thankful for a lot of other things, too also, like being in charge of the State Fair booth of the NCDP and being in relatively good health, for a geezer who geezes.

Next year we're going to have a critical, incredible election. A new Half-Life game is coming out in March. I'll be 67 next month, and ...

LIFE IS GOOD.

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and a great holiday season, and a wonderful year next year. :bighug:

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

jemcanada

Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2019, y'all!

Post by jemcanada » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:03 am

Happy Thanksgiving my Fogbow friends (even though I think you’re celebrating it 6 weeks late :blink: )

Enjoy your day!

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone at the Fogbow. Thank you, Foggy, for keeping this place up and running. It means a lot to me. I took a break from politics a few months ago because I found it was just making me too angry, so I haven't been lurking here as much for awhile. But I love that I can drop in and lurk at any time and know that I will find thoughtful, proactive, erudite people discussing the issues of the day. It is very comforting.

I also am grateful for the friendliness and kindness of the people on this board: I will occasionally drop in, post something, and then disappear again (or at least appear to, sometimes I just go back to lurking) and everyone is still kind and pleasant in response to my posts. I never get the feeling I have intruded into a private world where I am unwelcome. There is a certain graciousness that the Fogbow somehow embodies that other boards do not. And I am grateful for that. Enjoy your day!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am

funny-thanksgiving-pictures-7-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:48 am

But but. We don't say "Happy Thanksgiving" anymore, I heard. :fingerwag:

So Happy Thanksgiving, alla youse. :bighug: Stay away from romaine lettuce.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Fogbow!!!!

:bighug:

And a big Thank You to Foggy for maintaining this site and putting up with us. Love you, Foggy!!!!

:geezerette:

:fivestars:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:56 am

Happy thanksgiving!!

We're staying home and inside, since it's a little snowy out there. Prolly play some scrabble on the kitchen table and have a low-key supper (or what Verbie considers low-key anyway; the list of prep is long already.)

- FEMA camp 626

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks for the Thanksgiving Wishes, everyone, and good wishes to everyone in return. We are about to head up to Denver to celebrate with family there.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:59 am

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. It’s been a mixed year, but I’m thankful for friends, including Fogbow ones, and family who are still here.

I’m also thankful that the tree that came down last night in our front yard went down across the driveway, not on top of the house. :-D

When the driveway is clear, we are headed out to daughter’s for a vegan holiday dinner.

🍗

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:15 am

Happy Thanksgiving from rainy Bastrop Texas!

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:43 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the sunny, but chilly, Willamette Valley. May your journeys be safe, your gatherings wonderful, and your dinners delightful!

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:15 am

Happy turkey day since we're not appostuh say Thanksgiving no more to everyone.

In a few hours I'll be treking over the hill and up the central valley to my brother Bosco's house in beautiful Manteca. Other brother's (the Yeti) girlfriend is bringing pies, and rumor has it that one of them may be sweet potato pie. 😌

Image Image Image Image Image

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:28 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I’ve got two pumpkin pies in the oven, a cherry pie ready to go in, and I’m getting ready to start peeling and slicing apples for the apple pie.

We’re going to friends’ house. There will be lots of Thai food.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 am

Made my father's oyster stuffing yesterday. Right now our daughter and her husband are making my mother's carrots.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:51 am

Turkey is in the oven. Not much for me to do. :)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Picked up my fresh, 20 lb bird from my farmer buddy, Scott, yesterday. It's in the oven now.

Green goop (aka Watergate salad) is in the fridge.

Taking a break waiting for the in-laws to descend.

Happy Turkey Day.

Stevie

Post by Stevie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:22 pm

The best part of T-Day, besides fambly, and the two drink minimum at the kids house, and fambly, and the raucous good time we have, is (drum roll please) -

Tater pancakes (small fieworks display inserted here)

We are not German, or Polish, or Austrian. But, I do loves me some potatoe pancakes from leftover smashed taters. Unlike turkey, and gravity, and scalloped corn, and the litany of other leftovers, mashed potatoes never reheat well. They just don't. I'm sorry. It's just not the same as fresh. But, there is salvation, brothers and sisters, in the form of fried potatoe goodness that few will ever know or realize until they've performed those few simple steps.

Let me start by saying I cook by the seat of my pants, and hardly measure anything with precision. So, you may modify this any way your heart desires. There is no wrong way to do this I assure you.

Warm the pot of leftover taters on the stove just enough to soften them. Not hot. Just warm. Put a couple big scoops in a bowl. Two cups or more if you want to measure stuff, but who wants to do more dishes? It's the holidays. You're supposed to be unlaxing. Crack a couple eggs in the bowl. Toss in a big old handful of bread crumbs. Italian, plain, doesn't matter. Finely chop up some onion. Mince if you have the skills. Chunks if you don't. About a half cup or so. Toss in some parsley. Fresh if you got it, dried if that's what's in the cupboard. You want some green in there, but not a lot. Add a couple pieces of garlic. I have a garlic press. You may have to chop your with the onions. Whatever. Stir it all up. Maybe add some milk. Maybe add some sour cream. Depends on how sloppy you want them. I like them kinda stiff so I have to flatten them in the pan with a spatula, but I've made them like pancake batter before, and they aren't bad - just more work to flip.

Heat a pan to medium - enough to melt some butter, but not smoke it. Add a little oil to help keep the butter from browning. Put a couple spoonfuls in the pan, and smoosh them down to about a quarter inch thick. These aren't going to rise. You're just going to brown them for a couple minutes on both sides, and serve them up immediately. Salt and pepper to taste. Slather some gravy on, or eat them plain. A bite of turkey and cranberries goes well with them. Pig out. Keep the pan hot and make more as you need them, or cook them all at once, and toss them back in the pan to put some heat back on if they get cold at the table. Or keep them for breakfast tomorrow.

Super easy. Super tasty. And a great holiday treat. One of my favorites.

Enjoy!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:23 pm

A Happy Safe and Warm Thanksgiving to all.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Jez

Post by Jez » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:22 pm
The best part of T-Day, besides fambly, and the two drink minimum at the kids house, and fambly, and the raucous good time we have, is (drum roll please) -

Tater pancakes (small fieworks display inserted here)

---snippy snippy---

:snippity:
I'm with you on the use of leftover mushed or whipped taters. We used to have them for breakfast the next morning with scrambled eggs and bacon. Of course the tatercakes were fried to golden perfection in the bacon grease. I believe my mother referred to them as "latkes". I've also taken the left over taters and made perogies, stuffing with lots of cheddar, onions, and taters.

However you and yours do Gluttony Day, enjoy the time. I just made my mom's dressing and it's in a pan ready for the oven, turkey is roasting away, roommate made some side dishes last night (something about creamed onions?). There will be mashed taters as well and we'll have to see what is leftover. Maybe latkes in the morning. :)

Happy "Eat until you pass out" day!

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Jez wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:38 pm

I'm with you on the use of leftover mushed or whipped taters. We used to have them for breakfast the next morning with scrambled eggs and bacon. Of course the tatercakes were fried to golden perfection in the bacon grease. I believe my mother referred to them as "latkes". I've also taken the left over taters and made perogies, stuffing with lots of cheddar, onions, and taters.

However you and yours do Gluttony Day, enjoy the time. I just made my mom's dressing and it's in a pan ready for the oven, turkey is roasting away, roommate made some side dishes last night (something about creamed onions?). There will be mashed taters as well and we'll have to see what is leftover. Maybe latkes in the morning. :)

Happy "Eat until you pass out" day!
Latkes are good too. Generally made from fresh potatoes, there's no reason you couldn't use leftover mashed potatoes instead. Depending on how observant you are, you may want to use Matzo meal instead of bread crumbs. I do not recommend flour with mashed taters. The flour doesn't have time to cook very well, and if the pancakes are too thick, the centers get gloppy from doughy flour mix. Matzo and breadcrumbs are already cooked, and help bind without needed time to cook as well. I prefer more onion than less. And I'm partial to garlic as well. But, adjust the amounts to your tastes. I've used fresh basil instead of parsley, and oregano adds a little tongue adventure too. This time of year, even some sage would work especially if you're combining it with turkey on the plate. Cooking in pork fat, bacon fat, and chicken fat definitely adds flavor. You just have to watch the pan temp, and maybe slow down the cooking a bit so the natural fats don't burn. Some people want these swimming in fat. I fry them in a lightly oiled pan. Not quite as crisp as some people prefer, but after a certain age, you make adjustments to your diet. But, that's part of the fun of cooking.

Happy Fall Harvest Festival you as well!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:57 pm

:bighug:

A blast from the past for those on FB:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:19 pm

An oldie, but a goody!

:P

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Thanks to all of you, but especially to His Fogginess for keeping the lights on here.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:48 pm

:yeah: :notworthy:
Dr. Caligari wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:17 pm
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Thanks to all of you, but especially to His Fogginess for keeping the lights on here.
:yeah: :notworthy:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Announcements”