What Happened?

John Thomas8

What Happened?

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm

I've been getting run over by life for a while now, and got to navel gazing about weird things and it occurs to me that the "Great Depression" was a missed opportunity.

What it did was expose the stock-market-driven economy as a fraud. Of course, on it's surface it sounds good, public ownership of corporations can't be bad, can it? Diversity in corporate boards and executives accountable for their actions, awesome in theory. What didn't happen in 1930 was anything of note to stop the fraud. Bandaids were slapped here and there, two or three wrists were slapped, but the fundamentals of the system were for the most part left to regroup for the next mess.

But, our stock market driven economy in practice, it's fundamentally flawed. "Corporate ethics" is more of an oxymoron than "military intelligence", and the lack of the former I assert has done more damage than the latter. The "boom and bust" cycle isn't a natural phenomenon. No, it's a calculated, orchestrated method of keeping ownership from being held accountable. Not in a "Illuminati conspiracy theory" way, but more of a set of immoral people acting independently but in concert to roll things their way.

The missed opportunity, the last pitiful bit of an attempt died when Clinton signed off on killing Glass-Steagall, was doing something sincerely concrete about corporate governance. The mechanisms in place now are like bringing a gerbil to Kursk in 1943 expecting to stop the Wehrmacht single-handed. We have a DEA that is as violent a government entity as we've had but it's pointed at drug use and not actual crime, like stealing from the public by corporations.

An individual in charge of a company convicted of Medicare fraud was a state governor for 8 years and is currently sitting in the US Senate. That's obscene. The sitting prezinut has lost multiple fraud cases, up to 9 figure verdicts. There are no consequences for corporate malfeasance, executives resign with 8-figure golden parachutes and things keep rolling right along. Ship a product known to kill buyers? So what? Stock price is up after the latest layoffs, so we're all good. A company I was employed with behaved like Enron before Enron got caught and that CEO got lifetime access to a corporate jet and a 7 figure payout every year to go with it. 270,000 world-wide employees were kicked to the curb. A bank failed in 2007, took my retirement (saved over 40 years) with it because they wouldn't play with georgie.

At some point doesn't it have to be about people rather than profits?

Sigh.

Addie

Re: What Happened?

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Hugz :grouphug:

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 pm

We all need hugs, the planet is being run into ruins by profits.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:13 pm

You won't get any argument from me, JT.
John Thomas8 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 pm
We all need hugs, the planet is being run into ruins by profits.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:57 pm

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. :bighug:

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm a little guy sitting in a home office in goofyville north carolina, just wondering why humans don't matter.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 pm
I'm a little guy sitting in a home office in goofyville north carolina, just wondering why humans don't matter.
But humans do matter, insofar as some sort of profit can be extracted from their existence.

Otherwise humans don't matter at all in practice. And human life has no intrinsic value or worth whatsoever, despite lofty claims made to the contrary by some.

Not that I agree with this situation. However, my consent is not required.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:21 pm

What happened basically is that people have forgotten what they believe and have turned over their opinion forming duties to "Opinion Formers." This isnt specific to any ideology, this is across the board. So without not having any internal logic to everything theu are thinking, things go into black and white, and eventually to "My team vs your team."

And when its My Team vs Your Team, everything I do is good, and everything you do is bad, whether its consistent with the meaningless values we mouth or not. Values are just a weapon to attack the other side.

Anyway your country has endured people pumping lies and poison into your political discourse for decades, and eventually its going to get sick. The first thin you are going to have to do is shut that down, otherwise you are treating the Symptoms while allowing the patient to mainline cyanide.

Also - Hugs and cheers for you :cheer:
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 pm

However, my consent is not required
But aren't we far enough along in human history when our consent should be required?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 am

:grouphug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 am

How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:59 am

hugz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:58 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 pm
However, my consent is not required
But aren't we far enough along in human history when our consent should be required?
Sadly, no. Even a cursory look at history confirms this.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am

I've been lurking for some time, for no other reason than I have had nothing substantive to contribute. But this thread shook me. Spoke to me. And again, I have nothing to add because yes... What happened.

Return to “Social Issues”