House Oversight Hearing: 7/23/2019: Labor Secy Acosta Re Jeffrey Epstein, Sex Trafficking Deal

Addie

House Oversight Hearing: 7/23/2019: Labor Secy Acosta Re Jeffrey Epstein, Sex Trafficking Deal

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm

The Hill
Oversight chair calls on Acosta to testify amid Epstein scrutiny

The head of the House Oversight and Reform Committee is asking Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta to testify amid scrutiny over his role overseeing a non-prosecution agreement for Jeffrey Epstein, who has been charged in a sex trafficking case.

Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) and Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), who leads the panel's Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, sent a letter to Acosta inviting him to testify on July 23 about his "prosecution agreement" for Epstein from his time serving as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida.

Under the agreement reached in 2008, Epstein spent 13 months in county jail. The Miami Herald reported on details of the case in an investigative series published last fall.

Earlier this month, federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York unsealed a fresh indictment that detailed a series of new charges against Epstein, a billionaire financier with various political ties.

The indictment alleges that between 2002 to 2005 he created “a network and operation enabling him to sexually exploit and abuse dozens of underage girls,” and that he then also paid these victims cash to then recruit other underage girls for "sexual encounters." Prosecutors also claim Epstein knew these girls were underaged.

"Your testimony is even more critical now that federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York unsealed a new indictment earlier this week outlining a host of additional charges against Mr. Epstein, including luring dozens of teenage girls to his homes in New York City and Palm Beach, Florida, and paying them to engage in sexual activity with him,” Cummings wrote, referring to Acosta.
Adding:
Daily Beast: Acosta, Who Cut Deal With Epstein, Tried to Slash Anti-Trafficking Program by 80 Percent

His proposal came under fire at the time from a congresswoman who noted his sweetheart deal with accused trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

Kendra

Re: House Oversight Hearing: 7/23/2019: Labor Secy Acosta Re Jeffrey Epstein, Sex Trafficking Deal

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Will be try to claim executive privilege? Asking for a friend..

SLQ

Re: House Oversight Hearing: 7/23/2019: Labor Secy Acosta Re Jeffrey Epstein, Sex Trafficking Deal

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm
I don't see how he could. The activities in question occurred long before he was part of this administration.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm

SLQ wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:15 pm
Kendra wrote:
I don't see how he could. The activities in question occurred long before he was part of this administration.
I should have marked it as sarcasm :bighug:

But, not surprised if they try.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm
SLQ wrote:
Kendra wrote:

:-D Me neither.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Press conference today

Adding:

New York Times
Acosta Defends Role in Brokering Epstein Plea Deal

WASHINGTON — Labor Secretary R. Alexander Acosta on Wednesday publicly defended his role in overseeing the prosecution of Jeffrey E. Epstein for sex crimes committed in Florida over a decade ago, bucking a growing chorus of Democratic calls for his resignation.

Mr. Acosta said he faced a tough choice between accepting a plea deal that was not as tough as he wished it would be and going to trial with witnesses who were scared to testify in what he described as “a roll of the dice” that might not result in a conviction and prison term.

“I wanted to help them,” Mr. Acosta said of the victims during a nationally televised news conference at the Labor Department headquarters. “That is why we intervened. And that’s what the prosecutors of my office did — they insisted that he go to jail and put the world on notice that he was and is a sexual predator.”

Mr. Acosta’s appearance before cameras was seen as a crucial test of whether he will keep his job, with an audience of one as President Trump watched and came to a decision. Mr. Acosta said he has spoken with Mr. Trump and believes he has his backing.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm
SLQ wrote:
Kendra wrote:

That's a problem with this administration. It's impossible to tell snark from reality any more. I seriously see trump ordering him not to testify using some form of that as an excuse.
ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:42 pm

I tried to listen to it in the car but had to turn it off. This story has enraged me beyond my usual hissy fits. (thank god for medical MJ).

What I heard, before I couldn't take it anymore, was, "Sure I let this serial rapist off with a slap on the wrist, but that was more than the other guy was going to do. You're welcome."
ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 pm

He was so concerned about the victims that he hid the deal from them. :sick:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 pm
He was so concerned about the victims that he hid the deal from them. :sick:
That was a big NO NO.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Wow, big and bad US Attorneys for the Southern District of Florida are afraid to go to trial.

Deplorable. Disgusting.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

MSN News
Top Dems, rejecting Acosta's explanation for Epstein plea deal, renew calls for resignation

Top Democrats swiftly rejected Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta's explanation on Wednesday for his handling of a 2008 plea deal for financier Jeffrey Epstein while in a state attorney's office in Florida. They reiterated calls for him to resign, even as the White House indicated it would stand by the embattled Cabinet official. ...

"Secretary Acosta had a chance to do right by Jeffrey Epstein’s victims," Rhode Island Rep. David Cicilline wrote on Twitter. "He failed. Today’s press conference doesn’t change that. The only appropriate thing for him to do now is to resign."

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine agreed: "Acosta is trying to defend the indefensible. He put a monstrous predator above survivors of sexual abuse, and he’s got to go — period."

Kaine grilled Acosta on the matter during his confirmation hearing in 2017, asking Acosta, “Why cut a non-prosecution deal despite your staff saying you shouldn’t?” (Acosta replied that the move was, in fact, a "broadly held decision.")

And Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal called the plea arrangement "immoral" and "unconscionable."

"Nothing said by Secretary Acosta at his press conference changes the verdict: he must go," Blumenthal said. "Despite his attempts to justify it, his unconscionable sweetheart deal w/sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein still stinks. This secret deal was immoral—a betrayal of young survivors and basic justice."

Speaking to reporters, Blumenthal added that the deal was "likely illegal" as well.
Adding:
HuffPo: Peter Wehner Has Chilling Theory For GOP Silence On Alex Acosta’s Deal With Jeffrey Epstein

“We have a president who is a sexual predator,” the longtime Republican insider said.
Daily Beast: Ex-Palm Beach State Attorney Says It Was Acosta’s ‘Secret Negotiations’ With Epstein Lawyers That Tanked Case
New Republic: Alexander Acosta’s Trumpian Non-Apology

The labor secretary botched the Jeffrey Epstein case a decade ago—then he botched his chance to admit his mistakes. His boss must be proud.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 am

Acosta resigned this morning.

This is from last night. (Not calling coinkydink, just wanting to keep the sequence clear.)

The Hill
House Democrats request briefing on Epstein, Acosta

House Democrats on Thursday called on the Department of Justice for a briefing on Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta’s role in securing a plea deal for billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein.

In a letter to Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen, a dozen Democrats — including House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.), Rep. Ted Lieu (Calif.) and Rep. Karen Bass (Calif.) — requested a briefing on “any related commission of professional misconduct” by Acosta, who was a U.S. attorney during the 2008 plea deal.

“We are abhorred by reports of Mr. Epstein’s repeated and longstanding sexual abuse of young girls,” the letter reads. “This despicable behavior constituted clear criminal activity that could have resulted in a lengthy sentence for Mr. Epstein had charges been vigorously pursued against him at the time."

“We believe it is of paramount importance that we learn the basis and rationale for the unusual plea deal,” the letter continues, adding that lawmakers have “serious misgivings about Secretary Acosta’s handling of the case and whether the Department fairly administered justice.”

Lawmakers requested a briefing and “any relevant documents” by July 24, the letter reads.

Return to “Congress”