The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Addie

The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:39 am

Booker has a talent for the glad-handing side of things, I think, and Warren's pretty good at it, too.

Politico
Warren, Booker stand out on chaotic Iowa stage

The sprawling Democratic field, nearly all of whom attended the Hall of Fame dinner, sought to make a splash.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — In the early state where field organization has traditionally mattered the most, Sen. Cory Booker and Sen. Elizabeth Warren have quietly and patiently concentrated their resources toward building grassroots machines designed to power them on caucus night.

It showed here on Sunday as 19 Democratic presidential candidates converged for the first time in one venue to make their five-minute pitch to the party faithful. The gathering, designed to honor Iowa Democrats in a Hall of Fame dinner, offered the first glimpse of a sprawling Democratic primary field — and the organizational strength and enthusiasm each campaign could muster.

Booker and Warren weren’t the only presidential hopefuls to stand out. The senator from next door in Minnesota, Amy Klobuchar, also put on a show of force both inside and outside the Cedar Rapids Doubletree Hilton Hotel, where the dinner took place.

But Booker was among the first candidates to ramp up early in Iowa and it enabled him to flex his muscles Sunday, one day after a new Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom survey of likely Iowa caucusgoers placed him at just one percent in the crowded field.

When Booker took the stage before the 1,400-person crowd, dozens of supporters rose to their feet and lifted “Cory Booker 2020” signs that lit up in the dark.

Addie

Re: The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am

VICE: Ranking the 2020 Democratic Candidates Based Only on Their Walk-Out Songs

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm

The Gazette
Gala leaves Iowa Democrats enthused but undecided

For some, Sunday's event made their shortlist get longer

CEDAR RAPIDS — If there was a Sports Center Top 10 for the Iowa Democratic Party Hall of Fame Celebration, it probably wouldn’t include any home runs or strikeouts and few, if any, ejections, according to Democrats who were there this weekend to see, hear and evaluate 19 presidential hopefuls.

The progressives in the Democratic field seemed to be fan favorites. South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and California Sen. Kamala Harris frequently were mentioned as people left the party fundraiser Sunday afternoon in downtown Cedar Rapids.

“I think I’m like most Democrats in Iowa that I had maybe three or four that I was listening for — that would be Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren, maybe a few others,” said Joelle Brown from Iowa City. “Nobody really surprised me because they all did as well as I expected.”

John Ercig of Cedar Rapids went in looking for a candidate with strong progressive values — “Warren mostly. Also Mayor Pete. Pretty much those two.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

New York Times - Reid J. Epstein
How Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren Cracked the Code of the 2020 Race ...

More than most of his Democratic rivals, Mr. Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., has cracked the code of the early months of the presidential campaign, embracing TV appearances while mastering the art of creating moments for social media and cable news. The 37-year-old’s campaign was the first to grasp that the early primary race would unfold on mobile devices and televisions instead of at the traditional town-hall gatherings and living rooms in the early states.

He’s not alone: Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts has inundated reporters with policy proposals, prompting hours of cable news coverage and forcing fellow candidates to respond to her ideas during live interviews.

Over the first six months of the presidential campaign, Mr. Buttigieg and Ms. Warren have outfoxed the other 21 Democratic candidates, demonstrating an innate understanding of the value of viral moments and nonstop exposure that drives politics in the Trump era. ...

Ms. Warren took the opposite route to the same destination. Rather than lean into her biography, she rolled out unusually detailed domestic policy plans to grab headlines and inspire activists. She also earned attention for her devotion to taking photographs with every attendee at her events who wants one — more than 30,000 to date, she said on Sunday.

The two have seen their strategies pay dividends. Each vaulted to the top of a major poll of Iowa Democrats released last weekend by the Des Moines Register and CNN, which placed Ms. Warren and Mr. Buttigieg in a virtual tie for second place with Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, behind former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. And on Wednesday, Ms. Warren surpassed Mr. Sanders in a poll of likely Democratic caucusgoers in Nevada, another key early voting state.

Unlike many of their rivals, who built their political careers in the era of carefully chosen, less-is-more press interaction, the two have placed their fate in the hands of TV bookers and the gods of online viral content.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 pm

The Atlantic - Peter Beinart
Braininess Is Now the Brand

For a party dependent on highly educated voters, Buttigieg’s rise and Warren’s resurgence foretell the future.

Among the biggest surprises of the Democratic presidential campaign so far are the rise of Pete Buttigieg and the resurgence of Elizabeth Warren, both of whom, according to a new Des Moines Register poll, have moved into a virtual tie for second place in Iowa with Bernie Sanders. In many ways, the Buttigieg and Warren phenomena are distinct: Buttigieg promises generational change; Warren is almost 70. Buttigieg emphasizes his success in a conservative state; Warren stresses her willingness to challenge corporate power. Buttigieg has become a darling of the big donors whom Warren eschews.

What unites them, and separates them from Sanders and Joe Biden, is their unabashed intellectualism. Both have made braininess central to their political brand. And it’s working—a fact that offers a window into the changing culture of the Democratic Party. ...

What’s new is that Warren and Buttigieg are leaning into their credentialed intellectualism rather than worrying that it will make them appear elitist. ...

Now a decade or two after Bush and DeLay realized that anti-intellectualism mobilizes Republicans, Warren and Buttigieg have realized that intellectualism mobilizes Democrats. Unlike Biden and Sanders, they both poll significantly better among voters with college degrees, who in recent decades have grown substantially as a share of the Democratic primary electorate. Buttigieg’s reputation for detailed, thoughtful answers—as showcased in his widely hailed CNN and Fox News town-hall events—has helped elevate him above his closest generational rival, Beto O’Rourke. And Warren’s unabashed wonkery has helped her close the gap with Sanders on the party’s left flank. ...

If Warren or Buttigieg wins the nomination, the 2020 presidential race will feature the most profound intellectual contrast in modern American history. It’s difficult to envision a debate between Warren, who asks crowds, “Do I have any net-metering wonks out here?” and Trump, who claims that tariffs are a payment China makes into the United States Treasury. Or between Buttigieg, who speaks about John Rawls and James Joyce, and Trump, who speaks about “Two Corinthians.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 am

NPR
Why 2020 Democrats Are Lining Up For Clyburn's 'World Famous' Fish Fry ...

"Well, it's my world," Majority Whip James Clyburn said, chuckling. "And anybody else who would like to claim space in it." When it comes to South Carolina Democratic politics, it's hard to argue. Clyburn, at 78 years old, is the most influential Democrat in the state, which explains why most of the 2020 Democratic presidential field is headed to Columbia, S.C., next Friday for a chance to appear by his side.

For nearly 30 years, Clyburn has held a fish fry — a once-humble event started to thank supporters who couldn't afford to attend the state Democratic Party's high-dollar dinner — that every four years becomes a must-attend event for presidential hopefuls.

Clyburn wades in and out of presidential primaries. In 2016, he endorsed Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders; he stayed out of it in 2008 but was seen as tacitly supporting Barack Obama against attacks from Bill Clinton; and in 2004 he picked John Kerry over fellow Southerner John Edwards. In 2020, he's staying out of it. "I promised the party that I would help them make South Carolina relevant in the presidential [election], and I've been told by more than one person that if I were to make a formal endorsement in this campaign, the rest of the candidates would stay out of the state," he said, a sort of humble brag about his clout.

He's still willing to offer his assessment of the field, where he says former Vice President Joe Biden is the front-runner. "Oh yeah, absolutely, he is. I told everybody that months before: I said if he gets in, everybody else will be running for second place." Biden's front-runner status is especially true in South Carolina — at least for now. The most recent Post and Courier poll gave Biden a 31 percentage point lead over his closest rival, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 pm

CNN
Democrats court black voters at South Carolina forum

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)Four Democratic presidential candidates pitched wholesale changes to the federal government's approach to African-Americans on Saturday, using a forum here in South Carolina to woo the state's crucially important electorate.

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke all discussed their plans to combat gentrification, increase capital flowing to minority- and female-owned business, and remake the judicial system at the Black Economic Alliance Presidential Forum, an event aimed squarely at black voters, with a focus on the economy, jobs and business.

Each candidate's message will be heard beyond South Carolina, too: The forum -- moderated by journalist Soledad O'Brien -- will air Sunday on BET.

Black voters make up more than 60% of the electorate in the Democratic primary in South Carolina, making the state a key testing ground for candidates looking to court African-American voters.

Return to “Presidential Election”