Sinclair - Code Red

RTH10260

Sinclair - Code Red

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Have you already had your Code Red day today?
WaPo wrote:“Code red was created by likely a journalism school graduate,” said Crain as the live cameras rolled. “A lot of people not happy with this since we’ve implemented it. ... That’s evident by the thousands of comments on social media, letters to the editor, frequent calls to local talk-radio shows.”

Last week, a letter to the editor appeared in Springfield’s State-Journal Register, in which viewer Victor Edwards complained that he is “sick to death” of code red days.

“It would appear any cloud in the sky will warrant a ‘code red,’ ” wrote Edwards, arguing that the constant bombardment of code red days desensitizes the viewer — “like the boy who cried wolf. It makes the viewers skeptical of anything the weather people say."
A TV meteorologist objected to management’s ‘code red’ orders in on-air apology. He might be out of a job.
By Matthew Cappucci June 7 at 2:20 PM

Joe Crain has been a meteorologist at WICS NewsChannel 20 in Springfield, Ill., for 15 years. He holds a degree in broadcast meteorology from Mississippi State. He’s a go-to source for severe weather coverage and is widely trusted by viewers.

And, on Monday, he might not have a job to return to.

The reason? Crain criticized Sinclair Broadcast Group’s initiative to implement mandatory “code red” days in their affiliates’ forecasts. Meteorologists at local stations under Sinclair’s auspices are encouraged — or at times, forced — into declaring code red days, the decision often made by management. And during Wednesday morning’s broadcast, Crain had had enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... e-out-job/

MN-Skeptic

Re: Sinclair - Code Red

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 pm

There’s nothing more annoying than living in an area with tornadoes, blizzards, and severe thunderstorms and have a TV weather person hyping every storm as if it’s a pending disaster.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:06 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 pm
There’s nothing more annoying than living in an area with tornadoes, blizzards, and severe thunderstorms and have a TV weather person hyping every storm as if it’s a pending disaster.
Unless it's living in a hurricane state and they encourage evacuation every time. After the second or third one in a season, people just quit leaving and then Camille or Katrina hits in Aug.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:09 pm

I don't even watch TV weather when it is stormy out anymore. I don't need the hype.

If there is a tornado warning, the reverse 911 calls me. Its enough to wake me up.

I look online and decide if I need to go in the basement (about 1 out of 20 times).

If there is a severe thunderstorm or flash flood warning, then I get a text. That won't wake me up, but if I am awake, I can look online or outside if I am in a mood to care.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:31 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Or those with “more details on our ten o’clock weather. Tune in then.” Or the one station from SUX that claims to have the Most Accurate Forecasts, which are no more accurate than the other three stations.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:06 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Unless it's living in a hurricane state and they encourage evacuation every time. After the second or third one in a season, people just quit leaving and then Camille or Katrina hits in Aug.
Let me add to that the ones who positively salivate at 90-100° days.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

tek

Post by tek » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:57 am

That's what ya gotta do to keep viewers riveted when the weather runs after the Terrorism Alert Desk.

effin Sinclair..
There's no way back
from there to here

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 am

What will the local stations do when they run out of gimmicks? The world wonders...

The local stations have been warning of impending disaster as much as four days in advance. Constant beeping and break-in weather warnings during prime time. Over and over and over. Many times those predictions turned into.. nothing. One time last winter we were told to expect 8+ honest inches of snow. The schools all announced closings the evening before. The net result: Zero inches. The snow fell somewhere up in Minnesota about 75 miles north of me. At least two other times last winter the schools announced that they'd be closed and I woke to next morning to an inch or less of snow.

Back in the good old days when I was in school and looking forward to a snow day the superintendent would go out in the early morning and make a determination about closing school for the day. We'd know by 6:00 AM. Apparently they don't care to wake up early in the morning anymore.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 am
What will the local stations do when they run out of gimmicks? The world wonders...

The local stations have been warning of impending disaster as much as four days in advance. Constant beeping and break-in weather warnings during prime time. Over and over and over. Many times those predictions turned into.. nothing. One time last winter we were told to expect 8+ honest inches of snow. The schools all announced closings the evening before. The net result: Zero inches. The snow fell somewhere up in Minnesota about 75 miles north of me. At least two other times last winter the schools announced that they'd be closed and I woke to next morning to an inch or less of snow.

Back in the good old days when I was in school and looking forward to a snow day the superintendent would go out in the early morning and make a determination about closing school for the day. We'd know by 6:00 AM. Apparently they don't care to wake up early in the morning anymore.
6 am isn't early enough to get hold of emergency child care. Where I live, one parent is already on the road by 6 am, the other parent waits for the school bus to pick up the kids before he/she leaves for work. I live in a place that is rural enough that most kids do not walk or ride bicycles to school, so it's either drop off by parents or school bus.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:30 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 am

Off Topic
We’ve had a running weather alert for a month, every weekend. It’s basically “Tourists, note that the water is too cold to swim in, even though it seems warm.”

In Maine, there’s basically 3 days every summer when it’s warm enough to swim in the ocean. Those days never manage to be when you are around.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

tek

Post by tek » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:15 am

Local businesses pull ads from TV 20 in support of Joe Crain
https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190608/loca ... -joe-crain
There's no way back
from there to here

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:52 am

Michael Lewis's recent book The Fifth Risk is nominally about how the Trump administration managed—or rather mismanaged—the transition of the machinery of the federal government. However, a lot of the book concerns how government collects vast quantities of data, including huge amounts of weather data, and how this activity is unknown to many and little appreciated by the rest. It includes a lot about NOAA and weather data snd predictions of tornadoes and the effectiveness or otherwise of warnings.

As an example of people's ignorance he quotes a senator arguing that there is no need for the government's weather services because AccuWeather and the Weather Channel provide all the necessary information! A senator too fuckwitted to ask the question "where do AccuWeather and the Weather Channel get their data from?"! You can guess which party he represented. :smoking:

Lewis's book explores in passing why warnings used to be ignored and why some suddenly started gaining attention, resulting in fewer deaths. Certainly he would not advise that blasting out incessant unnecessary warnings is the path to public safety.

The book is quite a pleasant read. No great insights into the Trump administration but good stuff about federal government.

Return to “Media & Social Media”