Kirsten Gillibrand 2020

Addie

Kirsten Gillibrand 2020

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 pm

New York Times
Kirsten Gillibrand, New York Senator, Joins Democratic Race for President

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, an outspoken advocate for women’s causes and electing more women to office, is herself entering the 2020 race for the White House, becoming the latest candidate to join what is expected to be a crowded Democratic primary to take on President Trump.

In an appearance Tuesday on “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert,” Ms. Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, said she was forming an exploratory committee to raise money and travel the country for her run. She is scheduled to start campaigning within days, with plans to spend the weekend in Iowa.

“I’m going to run for president of the United States because as a young mom I am going to fight for other people’s kids as hard as I would fight for my own,’’ she said. ...

Ms. Gillibrand, 52, has emerged as one of the most forceful critics of the Trump administration in the last two years. She has voted against nearly every significant nominee Mr. Trump has put forward, and rallied opposition to his congressional agenda. In the last two months, as she publicly considered a campaign, she has spoken repeatedly about the need to restore the “moral compass” of the nation.

But Ms. Gillibrand, a former corporate lawyer, has been criticized by opponents as a politician without a firm ideological bearing of her own, having transformed from a pro-gun, conservative upstate congresswoman with deep ties to Wall Street financiers to a crusading liberal who rails against guns and refuses corporate political action committee money.

Maybenaut

Re: Kirsten Gillibrand 2020

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

I won’t vote for her in the primary. She and Claire McCaskell overreacted, in my opinion, to the Wilkinson case and removed one of the two safety valves for military accused that were intended to balance against the fact that military juries are unlike civilian juries in many important respects (the vote to convict need not be unanimous, the jury pool is selected by the same guy bringing the charges and the same guy who holds the juror’s career in his hands, and you only need a minimum of five jurors — there are other differences, but these are the big ones). Other of her so-called “improvements” to military justice have been found to be unconstitutional. So I’m not really a fan.

Until now I never really understood “never Hillary.” I understand it now. But while I understand it, I won’t give into it. That’s how we ended up with Trump. So, like I said, I won’t be voting for her in the primary. But if she wins the nomination I will choke down the reflux and vote for her.
Edit: There has been a change in the law recently (so recent that I haven't seen it in any of my appellate cases). The number of jurors required has recently been amended from five to eight in general courts-martial, and from 3 to four in special court-martial. Also, under the only law, five and three were minimum numbers. Now eight and four are absolute (except if members end up getting booted from the jury after it's been impaneled, they can go down to six for general but still need four for special, meaning the convening authority has to detail new jurors.
The new law also permits, but does not require, alternates.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am

Been hearing a lot of chatter on MSNBC about how conservative Gillibrand was, and how she was pro gun and pro corporate America. Accent on "was".

So I'm like, "Wuuuh?" Because as far as I know, as a senator she has been one of the most progressive out there, on all fronts. Too progressive for some (cf. Franken). She is a hard core lib.

Seriously, she is, as far as I know, the only one in the Senate who has voted against every single one of 45's nominees for anything. Okay, I don't know for sure it's all of them, but as far as I know she has the best record in the Senate for voting against 45's noms.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am

She's getting a lot of pushback on Twitter, due to two recent missteps (to put it politely):

1. Prior to the November election, she told her constituents she was not considering a run for the Presidency and promised that if she was re-elected, she would serve out her full term. Took her less than three months to break that promise.

2. She sent out a fake survey tweet, asking if you supported her run for the Presidency. If you clicked 'yes', you were taken to a campaign donation page. If you clicked 'no', you were taken to the same campaign donation page. As a result, that tweet got soundly ratioed from people spanking her for the deceptive 'survey' that refused to take 'no' for an answer, plus her lying to her constituents about her political plans.

And there's always the Franken issue, too - but the above two things are very recent, and are generating contemporary ire.
I've heard this bull before.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am
Been hearing a lot of chatter on MSNBC about how conservative Gillibrand was, and how she was pro gun and pro corporate America. Accent on "was".

So I'm like, "Wuuuh?" Because as far as I know, as a senator she has been one of the most progressive out there, on all fronts. Too progressive for some (cf. Franken). She is a hard core lib.

Seriously, she is, as far as I know, the only one in the Senate who has voted against every single one of 45's nominees for anything. Okay, I don't know for sure it's all of them, but as far as I know she has the best record in the Senate for voting against 45's noms.
I've heard her explanation for this. She says she previously had represented a very conservative constituency and that is why she acted on more conservative viewpoints. Now, she represents the whole state she has re-thought her position on things because NY as a whole is liberal. Under that scenario, if she were to become President she would be representing the whole country, so I would not expect her to be very progressive if elected if she were to use the same reasoning.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:01 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am
She's getting a lot of pushback on Twitter, due to two recent missteps (to put it politely):

1. Prior to the November election, she told her constituents she was not considering a run for the Presidency and promised that if she was re-elected, she would serve out her full term. Took her less than three months to break that promise.

2. She sent out a fake survey tweet, asking if you supported her run for the Presidency. If you clicked 'yes', you were taken to a campaign donation page. If you clicked 'no', you were taken to the same campaign donation page. As a result, that tweet got soundly ratioed from people spanking her for the deceptive 'survey' that refused to take 'no' for an answer, plus her lying to her constituents about her political plans.

And there's always the Franken issue, too - but the above two things are very recent, and are generating contemporary ire.
It took her three months to act on it, but only three days to make the decision to act on it. Her explanation to Jake Tapper took me aback. She basically said that when she made the promise to serve her entire term she was thinking only in terms of Democrats having to win as much in 2018 as possible. I see that answer as problematic - it sounds to me like an admission that she said whatever she had to say in order to get the votes. Which fits with my general opinion of her, which is very low. Like Maybenaut I also agree that I won't be taking on a "never Gillibrand" attitude, but I don't like her, regardless of how she has voted during her time as a Senator representing a liberal state.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 pm

People who fondly remember Al Franken will be disinclined to vote for Gillibrand in the primaries - and (if it comes to that) maybe on Election Day.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 pm
People who fondly remember Al Franken will be disinclined to vote for Gillibrand in the primaries - and (if it comes to that) maybe on Election Day.
I fondly remember Al Franken. I would have no problem voting for Gillibrand in the primaries. I probably won't, because I prefer Harris or Warren, but I would have no problem. And my preference has nothing to do with Franken.

Gillibrand is my Senator. I emailed and called her office and gave her my opinion that it was a mistake to call for Franken to step down.

So I disagreed with her on one issue. A high-priority issue for me. But not because I fight as hard as I can for #metoo issues and she doesn't; rather because we disagree on one issue one time on how to fight for #metoo issues.

I know there are plenty here who disagree with me, but to be honest I think progressives who would have a problem voting for Gillibrand because of her take on Franken are missing the point of being progressive.

Just wanted to get my position on the page for what it's worth. :bighug:
ImageImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am

I've heard her explanation for this. She says she previously had represented a very conservative constituency and that is why she acted on more conservative viewpoints. Now, she represents the whole state she has re-thought her position on things because NY as a whole is liberal. Under that scenario, if she were to become President she would be representing the whole country, so I would not expect her to be very progressive if elected if she were to use the same reasoning.
I know that constituency well -- she was my Rep too. Yes, of course that's why she was more pro-gun. Though the area is not that conservative--just very rural and thus very pro-hunting. 12 years ago, it was really hard to make any distinctions about gun safety, so she went with the flow. Her record since speaks for itself.
ImageImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:43 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 pm
I've heard her explanation for this. She says she previously had represented a very conservative constituency and that is why she acted on more conservative viewpoints. Now, she represents the whole state she has re-thought her position on things because NY as a whole is liberal.
The Daily Show touched on it during this segment:
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am

Politico
Gillibrand adds top national, New Hampshire staff to 2020 campaign

The New York senator has hired a national political director and senior aides in the first primary state.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand has hired five additional senior staffers to her presidential campaign, including a state director in New Hampshire just before her second trip there, Gillibrand's campaign told POLITICO.

Gillibrand will make stops in Hanover, Keene, Dover and Exeter this weekend on her return to the first primary state. The New York Democrat, who launched a presidential exploratory committee in January, has appeared in three of the four states with early 2020 nominating contests so far.

The new additions to Gillibrand’s campaign are Semedrian Smith, national political director; Danielle Duffy, chief operating officer; Gavrie Kullman, digital finance director; Pat Devney, New Hampshire state director; and Shannon McLeod, New Hampshire political director.

Smith was the deputy campaign manager for Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown’s reelection campaign in 2018 before joining Gillibrand's 2020 team. Duffy, who spent nearly a decade working in the nonprofit world, also served as the director of operations for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's independent expenditure unit in 2008.

Kullman recently led the Democratic Governors Association's digital department, also serving as a senior digital adviser to the National Democratic Redistricting Committee. Gillibrand’s political operation put an emphasis on digital fundraising in the two years before she launched her presidential campaign, raising over $10 million online for her Senate reelection in 2017 and 2018.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:04 am

Politico: Former Gillibrand aide resigned in protest over handling of sex harassment claims

What happened when #MeToo hit the office of one of its leaders, 2020 candidate Kirsten Gillibrand.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:35 am

Daily Beast
Kirsten Gillibrand Formally Launches Her 2020 Campaign With A Planned Rally At Trump’s New York Hotel

The New York Democrat, who hasn’t yet registered strongly in the polls, is formally launching her campaign.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) is formally launching her 2020 presidential campaign on Sunday, following a two-month exploratory phase.

Though the New York Democrat hasn’t yet registered strongly in national and early primary state polls, she has campaigned in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, California and Texas. As part of her launch week, Gillibrand will head to Michigan, a state that Hillary Clinton narrowly lost in the 2016 presidential campaign and one which other 2020 candidates have yet to visit.

There she’ll take part in an MSNBC town hall and an event with newly elected Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer, who Gillibrand backed in the primary. Later in the week, Gillibrand will be the first presidential candidate to appear on “Desus & Mero,” the new late-night Showtime show whose first political guest was fellow New Yorker Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY).

Gillibrand plans to deliver her first speech as an official candidate at a rally outside Trump International Hotel in New York City next Sunday.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:24 am

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm always going to have a problem putting her treatment of Al Franken behind me.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:32 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm
I'm always going to have a problem putting her treatment of Al Franken behind me.
How are you on the others that called on him to resign; most within 90 minutes of Gillibrand's initial call (which was apparently planned, with other calls to follow in short order):

Gillibrand
Hirano
Klobacher
Casey
Murray
McCaskill
Harris
Stabenow
Bennet
Baldwin
Heitkamp
Tester
King
Sanders
Hassan
Markey
Durbin
Leahy
Schumer
Peters
Booker
Wyden
Cantwell
Warren
Murphy
Brown
ImageImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:13 pm

On this subject, I'm not happy with any of them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for any of them against twitler.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:13 pm
On this subject, I'm not happy with any of them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for any of them against twitler.
Fair enough. But I think that calling out Gillibrand for being first among many (like that's a bad thing) is going to be a trope this election cycle, fed in an unknown proportion by the right/foreign meddlers. It also smacks of sexism.

FTR, Gillibrand is my senator. I called her office and wrote her an email, urging her not to demand that Franken resign. Not because of my respect for Franken and his message, but because of my understanding that sexual harassment and inappropriate sexual behavior is an epic societal problem that transcends party, which is encouraged and rewarded by society. Thus what we need is people to admit they've done it and now realize that it was wrong. And punishing people for low-grade (and industry-acceptable) actions only causes other people to fear admitting they've ever done the same.

Gillibrand doesn't have the presence that Harris, Klobuchar, and Abrams have, but man oh man is she a first-class progressive and smart as a whip. She deserves better than to be ignored because she led the way/was chosen to lead the way and accepted the roll for the Senate to call for Franken's resignation (still hoping he runs again).
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Newsweek
Kristen [sic] Gillibrand Calls Donald Trump A 'Man Of Fear,' Talks Climate Change And The Green New Deal

During a town hall meeting in Des Moines, Iowa, 2020 presidential candidate Kristen Gillibrand took aim at President Donald Trump.

Gillibrand, a New York Senator, began her comments by speaking on climate change and several policies she would hope to enact as president to lessen the effects of climate change and global warming.

"I am with you on taking on global climate change as the huge threat to humanity that it truly is. We can do this," Gillibrand said. "We are bold enough, we are brave enough and just remember for a moment what it's like to be brave."

The senator went on to ask the audience to "remember when this country was brave" and "remember when this country had a president who was brave" before speaking about the Statue of Liberty and the symbolism of the statue to the country.

"The Statue of Liberty stands in New York Harbor, she stands there with a beacon, a beacon of light and hope; her torch," she said. "She says 'send us your tired and your poor, your hungry. Send us your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.' That's what she stands for.

"But under this president, he's afraid. He's afraid. He's spewed hate and fear and division and darkness all across the country. He maligns John McCain. That is a man of fear, that is not a man who is brave. We should be brave again, that's what makes this country great; when we are brave enough to do the right thing, even when it's hard. Especially when it's hard," Gillibrand said.

Gillibrand 2020

ActBlue Donate

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:31 pm

The Hill
Gillibrand on past gun stance: 'I didn't do the right thing'

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that she "didn't do the right thing" when she was a strong supporter of gun rights years ago.

“I didn’t do the right thing. I think someone who can’t recognize when they’re wrong — it's far more concerning if you can never admit when you’re wrong," Gillibrand, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for president in 2020, said during an interview on CNN's "New Day."

The New York senator added that she has since determined that she needs to "be far more thoughtful about all issues."

"I think that makes me a better candidate for president," she said. "I think it makes me a better person. Because if you don't have an ounce of humility to know when you are wrong, how are you going to possibly govern all of America?"

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 am

The Hill
Gillibrand campaign links low fundraising to Al Franken backlash: memo

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's (D-N.Y.) presidential campaign suggested Sunday that the campaign's low first-quarter fundraising totals could be partly attributed to backlash over Gillibrand's decision in 2017 to call for the resignation of Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.).

In a memo obtained by The New York Times, the campaign reportedly said there's "no question" that donors are retaliating in response to Gillibrand calling on Franken, who had been accused of sexual harassment, to step aside.

“There’s no question that the first quarter was adversely impacted by certain establishment donors — and many online — who continue to punish Kirsten for standing up for her values and for women,” the memo reads.

Gillibrand's campaign announced Sunday that it raised $3 million in the first quarter of 2019, putting her behind several of her Democratic rivals in the race, including Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pm

The Hill
Gillibrand to meet with abortion providers, activists in Georgia

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) is set to meet with abortion providers and women's rights activists in Georgia Thursday following the passage of a new "heartbeat" abortion legislation in the state.

The bill, signed into law by Gov. Brian Kemp (R) recently, bars doctors in the state from performing an abortion once a fetus’s heartbeat is detectable, typically around six weeks into a pregnancy.

Most women do not know they are pregnant at that point.

The legislation is the latest flashpoint in the national debate about abortion rights and the fate of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court case that recognized a woman’s right to the procedure.

Gillibrand, who has put women's rights front and center of her 2020 presidential campaign, has been vocal about the wave of restrictive abortion laws being passed in Republican-controlled state legislatures.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Axios
Kirsten Gillibrand shares plan to protect reproductive rights

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) has put herself at the forefront of the abortion debate after a handful of red states have passed abortion bans.

The big picture: Gillibrand has been working to position herself as an advocate for women since she launched her 2020 presidential campaign. She's been a strong supporter for sexual assault survivors, and is known as the "#MeToo Senator."

What she's saying: Gillibrand's policy is 4-pronged, focusing on access, prevention, care and the courts.
Access: Gillibrand says she would repeal the Hyde Amendment that bars the use of federal funds for abortions, saying it "disproportionately restricts access to abortion for low-income women and women of color." The New York senator would also repeal the Trump administration's gag rule that prevents doctors from discussing their patients' options for abortion.

Prevention: She wants to increase funding for Title X, access to birth control and sex education.

Care: Gillibrand pledged to ensure Planned Parenthood is always adequately funded and to try to stop violence against abortion clinics.

Courts: Gillibrand said she would only nominate judges who support the Roe v. Wade decision.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am

Politico
Gillibrand says she would not detain immigrants

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, a contender for the 2020 Democratic nomination for president, said Sunday she would not use the detention system for immigrants to the United States if elected president.

"As president of the United States, I wouldn’t use the detention system at all," Gillibrand told host Margaret Brennan on CBS’ "Face the Nation."

"They don’t need to be incarcerated," the New York Democrat said when pushed by Brennan. "If they are given a lawyer and given a process, they will follow it. They can go into the community in the way we used to handle these cases under the Department of Justice."

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in a statement Saturday it has 16,000 migrants in custody and called the situation at the U.S.-Mexico border a "humanitarian and an operational crisis."

Gillibrand criticized the Trump administration's immigration policy, particularly citing the "zero tolerance" policy that led to the separation of migrant children from their parents at the southern border.

Return to “Presidential Election”