Judiciary Committee: Jan 15-16 2019; William P. Barr Confirmation Hearings (AG)

Addie

Judiciary Committee: Jan 15-16 2019; William P. Barr Confirmation Hearings (AG)

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

WaPo
William Barr’s confirmation hearing expected to be a battle over Mueller’s future

Two years of simmering tension between the White House, the Justice Department and Congress will culminate in Tuesday’s confirmation hearing of William P. Barr to be the next attorney general, where he is expected to resist Democrats’ demands for explicit promises about the fate of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into President Trump.

As the Trump administration enters its third year, Barr is poised to inherit a political powder keg in the Mueller probe, which seeks to determine if any Trump associates conspired with the Kremlin to interfere in the 2016 election, and whether the president tried to obstruct that investigation.

The fight over Mueller’s independence is the most visceral piece of the larger battle being waged between Democrats and Republicans over the independence of the Justice Department. Democrats accuse Trump of trying to bend the FBI to his will; Trump and his supporters charge the nation’s law enforcement agencies are conducting a “witch hunt” for political reasons.

Republicans have majority control of the Senate and the Judiciary Committee that will hold the hearing, which is scheduled to last two days, and so far there are no dis­cern­ible cracks among the GOP that would suggest Barr’s nomination is in any jeopardy. Three Democrats on the panel are viewed as potential 2020 presidential candidates, and the hearing could offer an early glimpse into those lawmakers’ lines of attack against the Trump administration.
Adding:
Bloomberg: Mueller's Future Sure to Dominate as Senators Grill Nominee Barr

Addie

Re: Judiciary Committee: Jan 15-16 2019; William P. Barr Confirmation Hearings (AG)

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:30 am

New York Times
Trump Says He Alone Can Do It. His Attorney General Nominee Usually Agrees.

William P. Barr has long espoused an unfettered vision of executive power. He may soon serve a president not known for self-restraint. ...

Nearly three decades later, President Trump has nominated Mr. Barr to return as attorney general. But unlike the self-restrained Mr. Bush, Mr. Trump revels in pushing limits — a temperament that, when combined with Mr. Barr’s unusually permissive understanding of presidential power, could play out very differently for the rule of law than it did last time. ...

The two-day hearing for Mr. Barr, 68, will play out against the backdrop of swelling rule-of-law turmoil, from Mr. Trump’s pressuring the Justice Department to curtail investigations into his associates and to open them into his opponents to his threat to invoke emergency powers to circumvent Congress on border-wall funds, to coming oversight fights with House Democrats. ...

But Mr. Barr has already drawn scrutiny over the revelation last month that he sent an apparently unsolicited 19-page memo to the Trump legal team in June arguing that Mr. Mueller should not be permitted to investigate Mr. Trump for criminal obstruction of justice.

Mr. Barr’s argument derived from his broad view of executive power: The Constitution, he claimed, does not permit Congress to make it a crime for the president to exercise his executive powers corruptly — even if he were to fire a subordinate, pardon someone or use what Mr. Barr termed his “complete authority to start or stop a law enforcement proceeding” to cover up crimes by himself or his associates.

The claim that the framers of the Constitution empowered presidents to impede investigations for corrupt ends goes too far, many legal scholars say. But Supreme Court precedents offer few definitive guideposts, giving the attorney general broad latitude.

Kendra

Re: Judiciary Committee: Jan 15-16 2019; William P. Barr Confirmation Hearings (AG)

Post by Kendra » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am

I have Tuesday off. Can't wait.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am
We expect much snark from you tomorrow. :daydream:

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm
Kendra wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am
We expect much snark from you tomorrow. :daydream:
:popcorn:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Supposedly Barr has said Mueller should be able to finish the investigation. It wouldn't surprise me if he means as long as it's finished tomorrow.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Associated Press
William Barr, President Trump's Nominee for Attorney General, Says Mueller Report Should Be Made Public

(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump’s nominee for attorney general will tell senators at his confirmation hearing “it is vitally important” that special counsel Robert Mueller be allowed to complete his Russia investigation, according to prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press on Monday.

“I believe it is in the best interest of everyone — the President, Congress, and, most importantly, the American people – that this matter be resolved by allowing the Special Counsel to complete his work,” Barr will say.

He will also address concerns that the results of Mueller’s investigation into potential coordination between the 2016 Trump presidential campaign and Russia might never be disclosed, saying it is “very important” that Congress and the public be informed of the prosecution team’s findings.

“For that reason, my goal will be to provide as much transparency as I can consistent with the law,” Barr said. “I can assure you that, where judgments are to be made by me, I will make those judgments based solely on the law and will let no personal, political, or other improper interests influence my decisions.”

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Associated Press
Either (1) He is Lying or (2) Trump is slamming his hand on the desk yelling 'F$@k! I nominated the wrong guy!'

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:24 pm

If I may play devil's advocate, what are the chances:

He has since learned there is a truckload of *holy crap* evidence on trump and his Russian shenanigans and doesn't want to go down with the trumptanic.

vs.

He'll say anything to get the gig.

ImageImageImage x4

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 pm

"... my goal will be to provide as much transparency as I can consistent with the law,” Barr said. Which he will decide is nil or close to it.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 am

C-Span Live - January 15, 2019: Attorney General Confirmation Hearing

The Senate Judiciary Committee held a confirmation hearing for William Barr - President Trump’s nominee to succeed Jeff Sessions, who left the post in November. Matt Whitaker has been serving as acting attorney general.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

Graham has an agenda.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

Kendra wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am
Graham has an agenda.
Indeed.
...Barr also was asked by the Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham whether Special Counsel Robert Mueller would be involved in any witch hunt, as Trump has said and tweeted on multiple occasions.

“I don’t believe Mr. Mueller would be involved in a witch hunt,” Mueller replied. He added that he was “good friends” with Mueller, the former FBI director and that he understood Mueller to be a “fair-minded” person...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/barr- ... 2019-01-15

Just my WAG, but if trump is watching, he's displeased with that response.

ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 am

Agreed. I was impressed when he introduced his family. A lot of DOJ experience there.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 am

From what I've seen so far, Barr is carrying himself well.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Quartz
Dianne Feinstein just got William Barr to commit to leaving Robert Mueller alone

The Senate Judiciary Committee’s questioning of Donald Trump’s attorney general nominee William Barr at confirmation hearings today (Jan. 15) has centered on a 20-page legal memo Barr wrote last year, which argued against Robert Mueller’s investigation into possible Trump team ties to Russia and its meddling with the 2016 election.

Barr’s opening statement attempted to head off these questions and walk back assertions in the memo that the special counsel’s investigation was illegal. He hopes to assure the committee that he will support the probe if confirmed.

Dianne Feinstein of California, the ranking Democrat, wasn’t satisfied. She asked Barr about the Mueller investigation herself, telling the nominee—whose memo was so expansive—to answer briefly, just “yes or no” on five questions. Barr, who had some trouble keeping his answers short at first, committed to supporting the special counsel’s role and upholding the rule of law.

Here’s what was asked and answered in sum:
Q: Will you commit to not interfering with the scope of special counsel’s investigation. A: Yes.
Adding:
Law & Crime: William Barr Just Gave Himself an Excuse for Not Making Mueller Report Public

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Neal Katyal, fmr. acting solicitor general: "This nominee is better than Matt Whitaker, but so is this coffee cup."

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Market Watch
Barr: Sessions ‘probably did the right thing’ recusing himself

William Barr on Tuesday said Jeff Sessions “probably did the right thing” in recusing himself from the investigation into alleged collusion with Russia by the Trump campaign.

Barr, the attorney general nominee, was asked about the former attorney general’s decision to recuse himself because he was involved in the Trump campaign. “I am not sure of all of the facts, but I think he probably did the right thing recusing himself,” Barr said.

President Donald Trump attacked Sessions publicly multiple times for that recusal. Sessions resigned last year under unceasing pressure from Trump.

Barr also was asked by the Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham whether Special Counsel Robert Mueller would be involved in any witch hunt, as Trump has said and tweeted on multiple occasions.

“I don’t believe Mr. Mueller would be involved in a witch hunt,” Barr replied. He added that he was “good friends” with Mueller, the former FBI director and that he understood Mueller to be a “fair-minded” person. And Barr said he couldn’t imagine that he would end or curtail the probe.
Adding:
Politico: Attorney general nominee breaks with Trump over Mueller probe
Vox: Attorney general nominee Bill Barr’s “tough on crime” record, explained

Here’s why Trump’s attorney general nominee worries criminal justice reformers.
Daily Beast: Lindsey Graham Invokes Right-Wing Conspiracy Theories While Grilling Trump’s AG Pick William Barr
BuzzFeed News: Trump's Attorney General Nominee Says He Doesn't Think Mueller Would Be Involved In A "Witch Hunt"

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Senator Klobucher (sp?) rocks. Ted Cruz up now :sick:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Sen. Hirono doesn't mince words.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Not watching, although maybe I should with the sound mostly off. I'm waiting anxiously for the Cohen hearing, though. :daydream:

Barr, of course, has no problem with pardons, as evidenced by the Iran-Contra pardons.

To the man who led the Iran-Contra investigation, however, the pardons represented a miscarriage of justice.

"It demonstrates that powerful people with powerful allies can commit serious crimes in high office, deliberately abusing the public trust without consequences," said Lawrence Walsh, the independent prosecutor in the case, at the time of the pardons.

Barr said later that he believed Bush had made the right decision and that he felt people in the case had been treated unfairly.

"The big ones — obviously, the Iran-Contra ones — I certainly did not oppose any of them," Barr said as part of the Presidential Oral History Program of the Miller Center at the University of Virginia.

"I favored the broadest pardon authority," Barr said. "There were some people just arguing just for Weinberger. I said, 'No — in for a penny, in for a pound.' "

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 pm

BOOKER: "We live on a planet where you can tell the most about a nation by who they incarcerate. In Turkey, they incarcerate journalists. In Russia, political opponents. I'm glad we don't do that... You go into the American criminal prison and you see the most vulnerable people."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Scott Dworkin

Verified account

@funder
6m6 minutes ago
More
Barr says he could arrest journalists. That should disqualify him. Period.
Should but won't. :(
Scott Dworkin

Verified account

@funder
17m17 minutes ago
More
Barr says Uranium One probe is more important than Mueller’s probe. If he calls for an investigation in to Uranium One, that means he’s calling for an investigation in to Trump’s Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman, who authorized Uranium One’s work in 2007 while Governor of Utah.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 pm
:snippity:
Scott Dworkin @funder

Barr says Uranium One probe is more important than Mueller’s probe. If he calls for an investigation in to Uranium One, that means he’s calling for an investigation in to Trump’s Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman, who authorized Uranium One’s work in 2007 while Governor of Utah.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Is this another of GOPs Benghazzi syndrom cases, never ending investigations into dead horses :?:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:52 pm
Sen. Hirono doesn't mince words.
Just wanted to bring up this exchange:

He hasn't read the 14th amendment and has no opinion on birthright citizenship?

Return to “Congress”