NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

NRA Infighting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/time-f ... z5cJQNthK0
Time for Changes at National Rifle Association

Bloomberg's propaganda mill The Trace, and Mother Jones magazine, have been working overtime together to investigate NRA's activities, digging up as much dirt as they can find, and doing their best to keep the media rumor mill abuzz with negative National Rifle Association news.

Obviously both of these “news” outlets are extremely anti-rights and anti-NRA, and they are painting everything they can find in the worst possible light, but unfortunately, this is not “fake news.” The smoke our enemies have been pointing at is coming from real fires within the organization, and it's getting worse.

The basic financial problems will probably be rectified in the short-term by the insatiable avarice of the new Democrat-controlled House of Representatives. Now that Nancy Pelosi and her anti-rights zealots have actively begun pushing new gun control legislation, Bob and Sally Gunowner will again be digging into their pockets to send in another twenty bucks to the NRA, and the organization's finances will soon appear to be back on reasonably solid ground. But the core problems won't go away so easily.

An organization that depends on $20 contributions from hard-working members, should be extremely scrupulous about how they raise and spend those dollars, but the leadership of NRA has demonstrated a serious lack of concern about such things, paying executives exorbitant salaries, and signing blank checks to outside vendors like advertising agency, Ackerman McQueen. At the same time, leadership has made serious blunders in a variety of directions, from the heavy-handed roll-out of their CCW training/insurance program – NRA Carry Guard – to seriously questionable practices in the areas of fundraising and political contributions, and downright foolish and unprincipled positions taken on bump-stocks, Extreme Risk Protection Orders, and other critical, core mission matters. They've even managed to alienate the competitive shooters who have been a mainstay of the organization since it was founded in 1871.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Tiredretiredlawyer

NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 am

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Trouble in ammosexual paradise. :rotflmao: :thumbs: Didn't find the actual text of the lawsuit.

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2019/ ... any/223448
New lawsuit highlights major infighting between NRA, NRATV, and their production company
Blog ››› April 15, 2019 3:24 PM EDT ››› CYDNEY HARGIS

The National Rifle Association has filed a lawsuit against Oklahoma City-based Ackerman McQueen, which has been the group’s ad agency for nearly 40 years and produces the pro-gun extremist network NRATV.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the lawsuit was filed on April 12 and claims that Ackerman McQueen “was obliged to provide access to to records underlying its bills” but that as of halfway through 2018, some such requests from the NRA had been “rebuffed or baldly ignored.” The lawsuit also zeroes in on NRA President Oliver North, who has a contract with Ackerman McQueen to host the NRATV show Oliver North’s American Heroes. The NRA says it is required to disclose and approve its top officials’ pay, but that neither North nor Ackerman McQueen will share all the details of their contract.

The article highlights a split between the “pro-Ackerman McQueen faction” of the NRA’s board, who think the law firm leading the lawsuit is charging too much, and those who think it is “money ... well spent, because it’s for the survival of the NRA,” which reportedly includes Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

Ackerman McQueen and the NRA have long had a symbiotic relationship. The NRA's lawyer who is handling the lawsuit is related to two top Ackerman officials, and some employees have worked with both organizations, either alternating or at the same time. The ad agency was responsible for some of the NRA’s darker videos and helped former NRA President Charleton Heston hone his imagine as he led the organization.
A perhaps more detailed article behind the WSJ paywall. https://www.wsj.com/articles/nra-files- ... _lead_pos3

Add agency's press release. https://newsok.com/article/5628819/acke ... -statement

Another local article https://newsok.com/article/5628800/nra- ... an-mcqueen
A contention in the lawsuit includes alleged refusals by Ackerman McQueen to provide a copy of its contract with North, a former official with the Reagan White House who became famous as a result of the Iran-Contra hearings.

Ackerman McQueen, meanwhile, denies the allegations and further questions the NRA hiring outside counsel led by William Brewer — brother-in-law of the current Ackerman McQueen CEO Revan McQueen.

In a lawsuit filed Friday in Alexandria, Virginia, the NRA alleged Ackerman McQueen and its public relations subsidiary Mercury Group unlawfully refused to turn over business records, including budgets and contracts charging the NRA for services. The nonprofit organization argued that it has a legal right to view these documents under the Records-Examination Clause of its contract with Ackerman McQueen.

The relationship between the two entities became contentious as the organization sought to take a closer look at Ackerman McQueen’s activities and spending on NRA advertising and public relations. The NRA, which has reported financial losses the past couple of years and questions of whether it can continue, developed concerns Ackerman McQueen’s expenses needed more oversight.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Re: NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:00 am

Lengthy but satisfying.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... at-the-nra
Secrecy, Self-Dealing, and Greed at the N.R.A.
The organization’s leadership is focussed on external threats, but the real crisis may be internal.

The N.R.A. and Ackerman have become so intertwined that it is difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins. Top officials and staff move freely between the two organizations; Oliver North, the former Iran-Contra operative, who now serves as the N.R.A.’s president, is paid roughly a million dollars a year through Ackerman, according to two N.R.A. sources. But this relationship, which in many ways has built the contemporary N.R.A., seems also to be largely responsible for the N.R.A.’s dire financial state. According to interviews and to documents that I obtained—federal tax forms, charity records, contracts, corporate filings, and internal communications—a small group of N.R.A. executives, contractors, and venders has extracted hundreds of millions of dollars from the nonprofit’s budget, through gratuitous payments, sweetheart deals, and opaque financial arrangements. Memos created by a senior N.R.A. employee describe a workplace distinguished by secrecy, self-dealing, and greed, whose leaders have encouraged disastrous business ventures and questionable partnerships, and have marginalized those who object. “Management has subordinated its judgment to the vendors,” the documents allege. “Trust in the top has eroded.”

Marc Owens, who served for ten years as the head of the Internal Revenue Service division that oversees tax-exempt enterprises, recently reviewed these records. “The litany of red flags is just extraordinary,” he said. “The materials reflect one of the broadest arrays of likely transgressions that I’ve ever seen. There is a tremendous range of what appears to be the misuse of assets for the benefit of certain venders and people in control.” Owens added, “Those facts, if confirmed, could lead to the revocation of the N.R.A.’s tax-exempt status”—without which the organization could likely not survive.

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:11 am

What a shock - as the organization transformed to be nothing more than a mouthpiece for right-wing claptrap, it became nothing more than the standard right-wing grift enterprise funneling assets right to those at the top, their families, and their wholly owned subsidiaries.

I’m shocked! Shocked! Well not that shocked.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm

You know you might almost think that their legal firm was that sterling team of KKKlayman and Avenatti.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Whoops. (And we wonder how they can shoot themselves while cleaning their guns.)

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1 ... 5256633351
Zoe Tillman
‏Verified account @ZoeTillman

Just in: Giffords (the nonprofit started by former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords) is suing the FEC to act on administrative complaints accusing the NRA of numerous campaign finance violations, incl. illegal contributions to Trump's presidential campaign https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... plaint.pdf

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/04/nra-bu ... e-lawsuit/
NRA busted giving Trump 9,259 times the legal limit: Bombshell campaign finance lawsuit

he Federal Election Commission (FEC) was sued in federal court on Tuesday for allegedly failing to enforce campaign finance laws against the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Giffords, the nonprofit organization founded by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) after she survived an assassination attempt, sued the FEC for allegedly allowing the NRA to violate campaign finance law — including to help Donald Trump.

The new lawsuit, reported by BuzzFeed court and justice reporter Zoe Tillman, mentions the word “Trump” thirty-five times.

“Plaintiff’s complaints demonstrate that the National Rifle Association (“NRA”) violated the Federal Election Campaign Act by using a complex network of shell corporations to unlawfully coordinate expenditures with the campaigns of at least seven candidates for federal office, thereby making millions of dollars of illegal, unreported, and excessive in-kind contributions, including up to $25 million in illegal contributions to now President Donald J. Trump,” the lawsuit charged.

The lawsuit attempted to explain the scale of the alleged campaign finance violation.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

tek

Post by tek » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm

captain_renault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can't go on
Thinking nothing's wrong

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:33 pm

More trouble in ammosexual paradise.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1121896437267214336
Yashar Ali
🐘
‏Verified account @yashar

NEW: NRA leader Wayne LaPierre has told the group’s board he is being extorted and pressured to resign by the organization’s president, Oliver North, over allegations of financial improprieties.

@MarkMaremont reports
linked article behind paywall
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 pm

:shock:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:43 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 pm
:shock:
:violin:

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:47 pm

from The Hill (no paywall) - but this is all there is

NRA's LaPierre tells board he is being extorted by group's president in effort to oust him

Longtime National Rifle Association chief Wayne LaPierre told the group's board that its president, Oliver North, is extorting him, accusing North of trying to force his resignation over allegations of financial misdeeds.

LaPierre, the NRA’s CEO and executive vice president, wrote to board members in a letter Thursday that he refused North’s demand for his resignation, calling it a “threat meant to intimidate and divide us,” people familiar with the situation reportedly told The Wall Street Journal.

North reportedly sent the board a letter of his own Thursday evening, saying he was looking out for the NRA’s best interests and that he was forming a crisis committee to probe internal financial matters, according to the Journal.

DEVELOPING
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/44091 ... o-oust-him

:?: Maybe these two threads can be merged :?: If it is okay with Tiredretiredlawyer :blink:
There is only 1 post at "NRA Infighting"
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=11551
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:58 pm

This is much bigger than it seems right now, because money going to the campaign was most likely through foreign donations to the NRA. It could expose Priebus and Mnuchin because they were in charge of the Victory fund while Priebus was still chair of the RNC and Mnuchin was campaign treasurer.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 pm

You mean Ollie North is holding a gun to Wayne's head? Figuratively? or literally?

Where's my tiny violin?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:31 pm

I don't think much new, but they spell out the situation as known
In N.R.A. Power Struggle, Insurgents Seek to Oust Wayne LaPierre
The National Rifle Association’s chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, was asked to resign this week amid a growing rift among the organization’s leaders.

By Danny Hakim
April 26, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS — Turmoil wracking the National Rifle Association is threatening to turn the group’s annual convention into outright civil war, as insurgents maneuver to oust Wayne LaPierre, the foremost voice of the American gun rights movement.

The confrontation pits Mr. LaPierre, the organization’s longtime chief executive, against its recently installed president, Oliver L. North, the central figure in the Reagan-era Iran-contra affair, who remains a hero to many on the right.

Behind it is a widening crisis involving a legal battle between the N.R.A. and its most influential contractor, Ackerman McQueen, amid renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status. With contributions lagging, the N.R.A. is also facing an increasingly well-financed gun control movement, motivated by a string of mass shootings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/busi ... north.html

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 pm

Turtle wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:58 pm
This is much bigger than it seems right now, because money going to the campaign was most likely through foreign donations to the NRA. It could expose Priebus and Mnuchin because they were in charge of the Victory fund while Priebus was still chair of the RNC and Mnuchin was campaign treasurer.
I think so too. The NRA's finances have never made much sense to me. Gun manufacturers like Colt and Ruger have been on the verge of bankrputcy for quite a while, so they can't be contributing much to the NRA. There aren't that many dues paying members, and even with a few big donors, I can't see how the NRA could afford to throw around all the cash they do and make the ad buys they do. Something doesn't add up, and illegal foreign contributions do seem like a likely possibility.

I would love to see the NRA's finances exposed because of an internal squabble like this, leading to it's demise :twisted:

(NADT)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 pm

I am curious as to how foreign donors get any benefit from subsidizing the NRA.

The NRA is certainly burning the candle at both ends and, more important, seems to have a serious internal feud going on. Considering that both sides have been indoctrinated to resort to firearms, I wouldn't be very surprised if this led to bloodshed.

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 pm
I am curious as to how foreign donors get any benefit from subsidizing the NRA.
:snippity:
If you are interested in destabilizing our democracy, it might seem like a cost-effective investment. Lots of polarization for the buck.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 pm

Look how much one redhead college student got done.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:47 am

I can't put my finger on where, but I do seem to remember that in one FEC filing, the NRA separated out their tax exempt contributions for advocacy etc... qnd a separate fund not exempt for political action. The political action side had to report foreign contributions and the first filing was some piddling small amount, like $5,000 or something as implausible. It later came out that it was just $5,000 if you didn't count the millions from Russians and other assorted foreigners. I know I saw that somewhere.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:36 am

Gregg wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:47 am
[…] the NRA separated out their tax exempt contributions for advocacy etc... and a separate fund not exempt for political action.
Possibly what you're referring to (unless you're being more specific) is Alan Berlow's investigation in April 2015 for Yahoo News: The NRA’s brazen shell game with donations: A Yahoo News investigation. The Guardian wrote it up in its own (shorter) article: NRA may have systemically broken political spending law – report.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 am

Dolly wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:47 pm
from The Hill (no paywall) - but this is all there is

NRA's LaPierre tells board he is being extorted by group's president in effort to oust him

Longtime National Rifle Association chief Wayne LaPierre told the group's board that its president, Oliver North, is extorting him, accusing North of trying to force his resignation over allegations of financial misdeeds.

LaPierre, the NRA’s CEO and executive vice president, wrote to board members in a letter Thursday that he refused North’s demand for his resignation, calling it a “threat meant to intimidate and divide us,” people familiar with the situation reportedly told The Wall Street Journal.

North reportedly sent the board a letter of his own Thursday evening, saying he was looking out for the NRA’s best interests and that he was forming a crisis committee to probe internal financial matters, according to the Journal.

DEVELOPING
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/44091 ... o-oust-him

:?: Maybe these two threads can be merged :?: If it is okay with Tiredretiredlawyer :blink:
There is only 1 post at "NRA Infighting"
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=11551
Merge away!!!!

tek

Post by tek » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:15 am

ollie apparently couldn't grift with the big boys..
(Reuters) - Retired U.S. Marine Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North will step down as president of the National Rifle Association, North said on Saturday, adding he was being forced out due to his allegations that NRA leaders engaged in financial improprieties.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1S30EQ
You can't go on
Thinking nothing's wrong

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Sounds like they made Ollie choose between the token salary of President of the non profit or the big bucks of being an NRATV star, and he went with the "Grift, for $5,000,000, Alex"
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:21 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 am
Merge away!!!!
Yes'm. :blink:
Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:25 pm

New York attorney general launches investigation into NRA's tax-exempt status

New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) has launched an investigation into the National Rifle Association's finances, including the NRA's tax-exempt status, according to The New York Times.

“The Office of New York State Attorney General Letitia James has launched an investigation related to the National Rifle Association (NRA),” Kelly Donnelly, a spokeswoman for the attorney general, said in an email, according to The Associated Press. “As part of this investigation, the Attorney General has issued subpoenas.”

The Times added that James on Friday instructed the NRA and its affiliated entities to preserve all relevant financial records as part of the probe. The NRA's charitable foundation was reportedly one of the affiliated entities to receive the instructions.

The Times, citing sources familiar with the inquiry, reported that James's office also issued subpoenas to the NRA's related businesses.

“The N.R.A. will fully cooperate with any inquiry into its finances,” William A. Brewer III, the N.R.A.’s outside counsel, said in a statement, according to the Times and the AP. “The N.R.A. is prepared for this, and has full confidence in its accounting practices and commitment to good governance.”
<SNIP>
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... o-nras-tax
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”