NOT Running for President in 2020; (So they say)

Addie

NOT Running for President in 2020; (So they say)

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

The Hill
Deval Patrick announces he will not run for president in 2020, citing 'cruelty of election process'

Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (D) announced on Facebook Thursday morning that he will not run for president in 2020 after election handicappers floated him as a potential candidate.

“After a lot of conversation, reflection and prayer, I’ve decided that a 2020 campaign for president is not for me," Patrick wrote.

"I’ve been overwhelmed by advice and encouragement from people from all over the country, known and unknown. Humbled, in fact," he added. "But knowing that the cruelty of our elections process would ultimately splash back on people whom Diane and I love, but who hadn’t signed up for the journey, was more than I could ask.”

It was reported earlier this week that Patrick, who served as governor of the commonwealth between 2007 and 2015, was telling staff and close allies that he would not run for president.

Addie

Re: NOT Running for President in 2020; (So they say)

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 am

MassLive
'I doubt I'll run for office again, I said that very clearly,' John Kerry tells crowd at Edward Kennedy Institute

Former presidential candidate and diplomat John Kerry voiced doubts that he would ever mount another White House run, wistfully remembered searching out Friendly's restaurants while on the Massachusetts campaign trail, and said he still considers himself an "activist."

Kerry, who unsuccessfully ran as the Democratic nominee against Republican President George W. Bush in 2004, spoke Thursday night at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute in Dorchester. The talk was moderated by WGBH contributor David Bernstein.

Asked by an audience member if he will be involved in 2020, Kerry said, "Well, I'm certainly going to do my part as a citizen."

He then added: "Is that a 2020 question that's subtly being put to me?" ...

"I think I said very, very clearly, and I mean this, I said a few months ago that I don't have any plans to run for office," said Kerry, who on Dec. 11 turns 75. ...

"I doubt I'll run for office again, I said that very clearly," Kerry continued. "I once responded to a question by saying... I haven't taken it off the table which is very, very different from actively working, pursuing, which I am not doing. And I mean that."

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:28 am

I'm not surprised that some qualified people refuse to run. Whoever wins in 2020 will have to spend at least half his (first) term undoing lots of Trump's damage.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 am

I wouldn’t relish the thought of running against a 6th grader either.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 am

Daily Beast
Comey: We Must ‘Use Every Breath We Have’ to Ensure Trump Loses in 2020

Former FBI director James Comey—who calls himself a “semi-employed celebrity” since he was fired by Donald Trump in May 2017—has called on voters to boot President Trump from office in 2020. “All of us should use every breath we have to make sure the lying stops on January 20th, 2021,” Comey told a cheering crowd Sunday night at the 92nd Street Y during an interview with MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace. Identifying himself as neither a Republican nor a Democrat, Comey threw his avowed non-partisanship to the winds, telling his audience that the Democrats “have to win. They have to win.” He said he’s worried that a third-party candidate like Ohio Gov. John Kasich or media mogul Mike Bloomberg could draw enough votes from the Democratic candidate to allow Trump to eke out a victory two years from now. “That’s Donald Trump’s reelection strategy,” he said. Comey claimed, however, that after thinking about it, he has no intention of running for political office himself. “I’m never gonna run,” he vowed.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am

Des Moines Register
Martin O'Malley: Here's who I'd like to see run for president. (Hint: It's not me)

I will not be running for president in 2020, but I hope Beto O’Rourke does. And this is why.

In 2016, my long-shot presidential candidacy found its flame extinguished between a rock and an angry place in my own party. America wasn’t in the mood for new leadership. We were in a mood of anger, rage and retribution. And in this mood, Donald Trump’s candidacy rose. It was good for ratings, and good for the Russians; but, bad for America. And, we got what we got.

But now, there is a different mood in our nation. People are looking for a new leader who can bring us together. They are looking for a unifier and a healer. They are looking for a leader of principle, and they are now looking for a fearless vision. ...

So, while I will not be running in 2020, I would like to put my faith and trust in a fearless American future — an American future large enough for all of our children. Like so many other Americans, I believe we need new leadership to make that future a reality. And, I believe the new leader who can best bring us together and turn us around to create that better American future, is Beto O’Rourke.

realist

Post by realist » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:22 am

Addie wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am
Des Moines Register
Martin O'Malley: Here's who I'd like to see run for president. (Hint: It's not me)

I will not be running for president in 2020, but I hope Beto O’Rourke does. And this is why.

In 2016, my long-shot presidential candidacy found its flame extinguished between a rock and an angry place in my own party. America wasn’t in the mood for new leadership. We were in a mood of anger, rage and retribution. And in this mood, Donald Trump’s candidacy rose. It was good for ratings, and good for the Russians; but, bad for America. And, we got what we got.

But now, there is a different mood in our nation. People are looking for a new leader who can bring us together. They are looking for a unifier and a healer. They are looking for a leader of principle, and they are now looking for a fearless vision. ...

So, while I will not be running in 2020, I would like to put my faith and trust in a fearless American future — an American future large enough for all of our children. Like so many other Americans, I believe we need new leadership to make that future a reality. And, I believe the new leader who can best bring us together and turn us around to create that better American future, is Beto O’Rourke.
:roll:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Politico
Steyer won't run for president in 2020

Tom Steyer, the billionaire environmental activist, will announce that he will not run for president and instead focus on his effort to remove Donald Trump from the White House.

Steyer is set to detail his plans in downtown Des Moines later Wednesday, one of several states where he’s launching a new round of ads as part of his multi-million-dollar TV and digital campaign calling for Trump’s impeachment, a source with knowledge told POLITICO.

Steyer has flirted with runs for office before, including for governor of California in 2018 and the Senate in 2016. But people close to him said this was most serious he’s ever been about running.

He’s been working the phones and reshuffling staff in recent weeks, after spending more than $120 million in the midterm election cycle. With an eye toward a presidential run, Steyer also has been courting staffers and speaking with high-level operatives who could guide a campaign.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Steyer has been running a bunch of Impeach Now commercials on the local Tee Vee stations. Are other FB'ers seeing those or is it just me?

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm

I enjoy his ads.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Me too. But the no-run decision is a good one IMO.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

“He’s the most corrupt president...” That line couldn’t be more true.

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:35 pm

I will not be running.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Nor I.

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 am

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 pm
Me, three.

I have no appetite for another billionaire president who has zero experience in government. Being a successful businessperson does not correlate to being a successful president.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 am

NMgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 am
p0rtia wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 pm
Me, three.

I have no appetite for another billionaire president who has zero experience in government. Being a successful businessperson does not correlate to being a successful president.
There was Truman.
And, the word "successful" is present and allegedly doing some work in your statement since its used twice. (So that excludes Trump)
And, both Bushes.
Which president was a tailor?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... experience

The Mercury Project

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Fox News
Sen. Bob Casey rules out 2020 presidential bid

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., has decided not to run for president in 2020, saying in a statement that the best way for him to fight for America is to remain in the Senate.

“After two months of considering it, I have concluded that the best way for me to fight for the America that so many of us believe in is to stay in the U.S. Senate and not run for the presidency in 2020,” Casey said in a statement.

Casey, who won a third Senate term in November, said he has been considering a run because Pennsylvania could potentially play a key role in 2020. Trump’s narrow wins in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin were central to his victory in 2016, and will be key states next year.

Casey said that instead of running for the White House, he had decided that he wants to build on achievements in his time in office.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Daily Beast: Richard Ojeda Becomes First 2020 Democrat to Drop Out of Race

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm
Fox News
Sen. Bob Casey rules out 2020 presidential bid

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., has decided not to run for president in 2020, saying in a statement that the best way for him to fight for America is to remain in the Senate.

“After two months of considering it, I have concluded that the best way for me to fight for the America that so many of us believe in is to stay in the U.S. Senate and not run for the presidency in 2020,” Casey said in a statement.

Casey, who won a third Senate term in November, said he has been considering a run because Pennsylvania could potentially play a key role in 2020. Trump’s narrow wins in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin were central to his victory in 2016, and will be key states next year.

Casey said that instead of running for the White House, he had decided that he wants to build on achievements in his time in office.
He is anti-abortion, but so was Kaine.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:42 am

The Hill
Jeff Flake says he will not run for president, signs on as CBS contributor

Former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) announced Tuesday morning that he would not run for the White House in 2020.

“I have always said that I do hope that there is a Republican who challenges the president in the primary. I still hope that somebody does, but that somebody won't be me. I will not be a candidate,” Flake said on “CBS This Morning.”

Flake, a frequent critic of President Trump, had been floated as a possible 2020 contender to challenge the president for the Republican Party nomination.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 am

No Republicans will steal the nomination from Trump. That's how far downhill the Republican Party has gone downhill.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm

KTLA News
L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti Won't Run for President, Sources Tell Politico

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will not run in the 2020 presidential election, sources told Politico on Tuesday.

The mayor was considering making the bid for months.

He was scheduled to have a news conference at 5 p.m.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:09 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:42 am
The Hill
Jeff Flake says he will not run for president, signs on as CBS contributor

“I have always said that I do hope that there is a Republican who challenges the president in the primary. I still hope that somebody does, but that somebody won't be me. I will not be a candidate,” Flake said on “CBS This Morning.”
This is the most perfect Jeff Flake move that ever Jeff Flaked. He's going to be paid to say mean things about Donald Trump but do nothing about it.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am

I love Ian’s tweets!

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 pm

WaPo
Appearing in New Hampshire, Rep. Adam Schiff says he is not running for president

It’s not clear how many people were asking, but Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) provided a definitive answer on Monday: No, he’s not running for president.

Schiff was queried about the prospect while appearing at a “Politics & Eggs” event in New Hampshire, a gathering that has become a rite of passage for potential candidates in the nation’s first presidential primary state.

“Thank you for the question,” Schiff said, drawing laughter from the crowd of business leaders and political junkies.

“I, like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, am not old enough to run for president,” Schiff offered, generating more laughter as he referred to the 29-year-old congresswoman who’s become a celebrity since her debut on Capitol Hill this year.

Return to “Presidential Election”