NOT Running for President in 2020; (So they say)

Addie

NOT Running for President in 2020; (So they say)

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

The Hill
Deval Patrick announces he will not run for president in 2020, citing 'cruelty of election process'

Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (D) announced on Facebook Thursday morning that he will not run for president in 2020 after election handicappers floated him as a potential candidate.

“After a lot of conversation, reflection and prayer, I’ve decided that a 2020 campaign for president is not for me," Patrick wrote.

"I’ve been overwhelmed by advice and encouragement from people from all over the country, known and unknown. Humbled, in fact," he added. "But knowing that the cruelty of our elections process would ultimately splash back on people whom Diane and I love, but who hadn’t signed up for the journey, was more than I could ask.”

It was reported earlier this week that Patrick, who served as governor of the commonwealth between 2007 and 2015, was telling staff and close allies that he would not run for president.

Addie

Re: NOT Running for President in 2020; (So they say)

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 am

MassLive
'I doubt I'll run for office again, I said that very clearly,' John Kerry tells crowd at Edward Kennedy Institute

Former presidential candidate and diplomat John Kerry voiced doubts that he would ever mount another White House run, wistfully remembered searching out Friendly's restaurants while on the Massachusetts campaign trail, and said he still considers himself an "activist."

Kerry, who unsuccessfully ran as the Democratic nominee against Republican President George W. Bush in 2004, spoke Thursday night at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute in Dorchester. The talk was moderated by WGBH contributor David Bernstein.

Asked by an audience member if he will be involved in 2020, Kerry said, "Well, I'm certainly going to do my part as a citizen."

He then added: "Is that a 2020 question that's subtly being put to me?" ...

"I think I said very, very clearly, and I mean this, I said a few months ago that I don't have any plans to run for office," said Kerry, who on Dec. 11 turns 75. ...

"I doubt I'll run for office again, I said that very clearly," Kerry continued. "I once responded to a question by saying... I haven't taken it off the table which is very, very different from actively working, pursuing, which I am not doing. And I mean that."

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:28 am

I'm not surprised that some qualified people refuse to run. Whoever wins in 2020 will have to spend at least half his (first) term undoing lots of Trump's damage.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 am

I wouldn’t relish the thought of running against a 6th grader either.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 am

Daily Beast
Comey: We Must ‘Use Every Breath We Have’ to Ensure Trump Loses in 2020

Former FBI director James Comey—who calls himself a “semi-employed celebrity” since he was fired by Donald Trump in May 2017—has called on voters to boot President Trump from office in 2020. “All of us should use every breath we have to make sure the lying stops on January 20th, 2021,” Comey told a cheering crowd Sunday night at the 92nd Street Y during an interview with MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace. Identifying himself as neither a Republican nor a Democrat, Comey threw his avowed non-partisanship to the winds, telling his audience that the Democrats “have to win. They have to win.” He said he’s worried that a third-party candidate like Ohio Gov. John Kasich or media mogul Mike Bloomberg could draw enough votes from the Democratic candidate to allow Trump to eke out a victory two years from now. “That’s Donald Trump’s reelection strategy,” he said. Comey claimed, however, that after thinking about it, he has no intention of running for political office himself. “I’m never gonna run,” he vowed.

Return to “Presidential Election”