Today's headline is Donald threatening to raise USPS rates for "non essential" packages. So dumb and shortsighted!!
1. USPS rules are they can't lose money, so whatever Amazon is paying is at least cost for USPS.
2. Amazon doesn't need to use USPS and most of the FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) shipping is UPS anyway. They will just stop using USPS (that's been in the works anyway) so Donald is just shooting himself in the foot.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/ ... mp-1044592Amazon, like other bulk users of the Postal Service, negotiates a special shipping rate that is not publicly disclosed. Though Amazon would pay below the standard rate, by law, those negotiated arrangements must cover the cost of shipping the packages — meaning the post office cannot lose money on them as Trump claims. Each agreement is evaluated and endorsed by the Postal Regulatory Commission and approved by the Postal Service Board of Governors.
Package delivery has been a rare bright spot on the Postal Service’s earnings statement. Mail carriers are delivering more packages than ever before — as the number of standard letters steadily declines — bringing in $21.5 billion in revenue in the most recent fiscal year.
Amazon has been developing other delivery options in anticipation that the Postal Service cannot accommodate its rapid growth. It runs a service in which contract drivers drop orders at customers' doors and recently announced it would lease trucks to entrepreneurs to start delivery services. The company has also experimented with aerial drones and, according to media reports, self-driving vehicles, though those are still years away from adoption because of technological and regulatory hurdles.
The investments could help Amazon lessen the sting of a rate hike over the long term or gradually move away from the Postal Service altogether if shipping expenses become too prohibitive. Industry advocates have warned that fewer packages would only mean more pain for the agency's bottom line.
The Amazon Echo 2nd Gen with Dolby Stereo is so awesome (search for Refurbished Echo to save even more) that I've bought 10 for family and friends, every single person has LOVED it. It's truly amazing. We have 2 now and with one button on the Alexa app it can a) turn into left/right speaker channels or b) "play everywhere" meaning if one is in the BR and one is in the Kitchen they play the same tune at the same time. All through wifi. And, it's a speaker phone! Check it out, for Christmas it'll be cheap cheap cheap. My 85 year old Dad plays Tango music and uses it for all kinds of neat things.
1. Best site is camelcamelcamel.com. Just paste in a full Amazon page product link (copy from the browser) and it will tell you the price of an item over the past few years so you can see how good the deal is. You can also add your email or text and set a target price and it will alert you.
2. If you add something to your Wish List (it can be private), often Amazon will notify you if the price drops.
3. The AmEx/Amazon promo is great. First you register (search for it on Google), then if you use ONE Membership Point (you don't have to pay for the whole thing by points), it's another 20% off (up to $100). It's a great deal.
4. For years, we've used Ebates, it rocks. We've gotten nearly $3000 in cash back! All you do is sign up and click through their links to Walmart, Amazon etc and it gives you money back (by PayPal). Lots of huge cash back deals... 10% on certain items at Amazon. Thousands of online retailers. Ebates.com.