Beto O'Rourke 2020

Addie

Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 am

AJC
Beto taps Georgia operative for key grassroots role

White House hopeful Beto O’Rourke hired veteran Georgia operative Chrystian Woods to serve as his national outreach director and focus on building what the Texas Democrat’s aides call the “largest grassroots campaign in history.”

O’Rourke campaign manager Jen O’Malley Dillon said Friday that she was impressed by Woods’ work in 2018 to boost Stacey Abrams’ bid for governor and “confront the challenges facing Georgia communities in protecting their fundamental right to vote.”

“We are thrilled to have Chrystian on board leading the effort to bring more people into this democracy and restore confidence that their voices will be heard,” she said.

Woods, a native Georgian, is currently the interim executive director for the Democratic Party of Georgia. She was previously the party’s deputy executive director after beginning as a deputy field director, where she helped lead efforts to flip suburban counties in the 2016 vote.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Associated Press
O’Rourke to visit Mexico, meet turned away US asylum seekers

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke is heading to Mexico on Sunday to meet with immigrants seeking U.S. asylum but “turned away” at the border.

In the former congressman’s first international trip as a White House hopeful, his campaign says O’Rourke will visit Ciudad Juarez, across the Rio Grande from his native El Paso, Texas, to meet with what it calls “individuals and families directly impacted by Donald Trump’s cruel and inhumane policies.”

O’Rourke hopes to “shed light on the desperate circumstances those who are seeking asylum and refuge are fleeing, and the conditions these families and individuals are forced to endure when they’ve been turned away from our borders.” That includes meeting with people and organizations providing immigrants care and assistance in Mexico.

O’Rourke blames those being forced to wait on “the Trump administration’s unlawful ‘Remain in Mexico’ program,” which has allowed the United States to return thousands of Central Americans to Mexican border cities as they wait to hear about their asylum claims. It is meant to reduce the attractiveness of U.S. asylum requests that in the past had allowed claimants to remain in the U.S. for years as their cases wound their way through the courts.

Praising his hometown as part of the world’s largest “binational” community with Juarez is a centerpiece of O’Rourke’s presidential campaign, and he released a sweeping immigration plan in May calling for providing millions of people in the country illegally with a “pathway” to U.S. citizenship, while deploying thousands of lawyers to the border to help process asylum cases and earmarking $5 billion to improve living conditions in the Central American countries many immigrants are fleeing.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Cross-posting

Politico
Hickenlooper finance director flees to Beto

The national finance director for John Hickenlooper’s presidential campaign is departing and joining rival Beto O’Rourke’s effort, O’Rourke’s campaign told POLITICO on Monday.

The aide, Dan Sorenson, is leaving the former two-term Colorado governor the day after the deadline for 2nd-quarter fundraising and after last week’s Democratic debate — an ominous sign for a presidential bid that has struggled to gain traction. ...

The Hickenlooper campaign already faced a steep climb to qualify for the fall debates, which require 130,000 donors and reaching 2 percent in four qualifying polls. Even if he ultimately withdraws from the race to challenge Republican Sen. Cory Gardner in Colorado — as some party leaders had long hoped he would — there is now a crowded field of Democrats already running that he would have to defeat.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm

:roll:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:03 am

Politico
Beto O'Rourke says he's not aware of his fundraising numbers

AMES, Iowa — Beto O’Rourke declined on Tuesday to say how much he raised in the second quarter of the year, saying he did yet know his fundraising numbers.

“I haven’t seen them yet,” the Texas Democrat said.

The fundraising figure is a measure of viability watched closely by presidential campaigns — including O’Rourke’s. Hours after the close of the fundraising period, the candidate had signed an email to supporters Monday thanking them for contributing.

“I want to thank all of you who made a contribution or volunteered at the close of such an important quarter,” he wrote. “Because of you, we’ve overcome each obstacle — including the critical fundraising goal we set.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:04 am

CNBC: Beto O’Rourke pushes student loan forgiveness for public school teachers

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm

The Atlantic: Searching for Beto

The breakout star of the 2018 midterms has had a disappointing 2019 presidential run. Can he turn it around?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 am

Beto knocking it out of the park on Morning Joe. Saying what he thinks without filter on El Paso, 45, and the danger the country is in. (Following up on his calling out a reporter for asking an idiotic question on 45's racism to which she knows the answer.)

No link yet, but worth a listen, if only because he's been so unfocused lately.

Good for you, Beto. Some day you're gonna be president.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 am

But first, I'd like him to drop out and run against Cornyn.
ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 am
:yeah: That would be great! He needs some time to grow, when he's on he's on, but when he's off, it's not that good. I like Beto and I think he has potential.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:41 am

RVInit wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 am
Slim Cognito wrote:
:like:
:yeah: That would be great! He needs some time to grow, when he's on he's on, but when he's off, it's not that good. I like Beto and I think he has potential.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Oh, definitely. Was not implying that he would or should be president in 2020. :thumbs:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:00 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 am
Slim Cognito wrote:
Oh, definitely. Was not implying that he would or should be president in 2020. :thumbs:
I got that, just my typically awkward phrasing.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:46 pm

TIME: Beto O'Rourke Finds His Voice Helping El Paso Grieve

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Associated Press
O'Rourke resuming presidential run with 'major' Texas speech

Beto O’Rourke will formally rejoin the presidential race on Thursday, resuming a campaign that has been suspended for nearly two weeks with what he promises will be a “major address to the nation” ...

The Democratic former congressman will outline “the path forward” for his presidential campaign “and for the future of the country.” He will then resume traveling the nation as a 2020 White House hopeful, though his advisers have yet to announce where he’ll go.

O’Rourke, who became a political star by nearly unseating Republican Sen. Ted Cruz last year, entered the race for the White House with strong buzz and fundraising but has seen both fade.

“It is on all of us, individually and through the institutions of the press and Congress, to decide what this country will stand for at this defining moment of truth,” O’Rourke wrote in the op-ed.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Beto, come home. Texas needs you. [ Editorial ]
By The Editorial Board Aug. 10, 2019 Updated: Aug. 10, 2019 5:53 p.m.

Beto O'Rourke, a Democratic candidate for president, addresses a rally held to denounce President Donald Trump's visit to El Paso, Texas, on Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2019.

Our thinking this week, amid all the carnage and grief and finger-pointing, has been in part on Beto O’Rourke, the presidential candidate from El Paso, where 22 people were killed last Saturday. Our sympathy is devoted to the dead and their families, of course — but Beto has been on our minds, too.

We keep coming back to a moment last Sunday when, for a few seconds, all the pretenses that are part of running for president in our age of constant exposure were peeled back, if only briefly.

There are times, it seems, in most presidential campaigns when the facades get stripped away like so many layers of paint. What’s left is a human moment, usually fleeting, and not always flattering. But real — and often more telling than a season of advertisements.
:snippity:

It went viral, the way his answer last Sunday did. We aren’t used to seeing candidates act like real people.

Frankly, it’s made us wish O’Rourke would shift gears, and rather than unpause his presidential campaign, we’d like to see him take a new direction.

So Beto, if you’re listening: Come home. Drop out of the race for president and come back to Texas to run for senator. The chances of winning the race you’re in now are vanishingly small. And Texas needs you.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinio ... 294396.php
This article is widely quoted among the MSM.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 pm

We could see Beto having a great shot against United States Senator John Cornyn, I think many in the 2020 field would benefit from having Senate experience to add to their resumes. He's amazingly charismatic, but this field is crowded and he's a young guy. The Senate is so important... hope he, Hickenlooper and some of the others serious consider running for Senate -- with a majority, so much good legislation could be passed.
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am

New York Times
New Approach to 2020: ‘Taking the Fight to Donald Trump’

After the shooting in El Paso, Mr. O’Rourke decided to abandon his focus on early primary states and more directly confront the president over immigration and gun control.

Beto O’Rourke introduced himself to the country as a changed candidate on Thursday, with his presidential campaign recast as a moral crusade against President Trump in the aftermath of a mass shooting in El Paso, his hometown.

Mr. O’Rourke, who represented the city in Congress until the start of this year, said he would abandon the relatively traditional approach he has so far taken — with limited success — and largely detach his travel from a primary calendar that tethers most candidates to a handful of early-voting states like Iowa and New Hampshire.

Instead, Mr. O’Rourke said he would now plan his political activities around confronting Mr. Trump in direct and personal terms, and highlighting what Mr. O’Rourke views as the injustices of Mr. Trump’s administration. He intends to seek out immigrant-rich towns to campaign in, and to make gun control a central issue.

He outlined his new thinking about the race in a telephone interview on Wednesday evening and a speech in El Paso on Thursday morning. He planned to follow the speech with a trip on Friday to Mississippi, where federal authorities recently detained hundreds of undocumented immigrants in raids targeting workers in the poultry industry.

“I just have to be as clear and as strong as possible in calling this out and taking the fight to Donald Trump,” Mr. O’Rourke said in an interview on Wednesday evening. “In the immediate term, he is the greatest threat to this country, bar none.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:42 am

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 pm
We could see Beto having a great shot against United States Senator John Cornyn, I think many in the 2020 field would benefit from having Senate experience to add to their resumes. He's amazingly charismatic, but this field is crowded and he's a young guy. The Senate is so important... hope he, Hickenlooper and some of the others serious consider running for Senate -- with a majority, so much good legislation could be passed.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:03 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 pm
:like: :like:

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 am

Politico: O’Rourke: ‘I will not in any scenario run for the United States Senate’

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:42 am

Addie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 am
Politico: O’Rourke: ‘I will not in any scenario run for the United States Senate’
This link works:
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... te-1466304

I heard part of his speech and all of his interview on MSNBC.
On Thursday afternoon, O’Rourke headed to Mississippi to draw attention to the Trump’s Administration’s immigration crackdown, underscored by recent raids inside poultry plants that nabbed more than 680 undocumented migrants, splitting many parents from their children. He also planned to speak at an Arkansas Democratic Party dinner in Little Rock on Saturday.

“Those places where Donald Trump has been terrorizing and terrifying and demeaning our fellow Americans,” O’Rourke said, “that’s where you will find me and this campaign.”

O’Rourke said he still plans to visit crucial primary states like Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada, but said this was not the time for “corn dogs and Ferris wheels,” referring to the Iowa State Fair, which he skipped over the weekend. “I can’t go back for that, but I also cannot go back to that.”
:snippity:
His focus, he said, is now Trump, who he said “so openly speaks in racist terms, so openly favors one race, one religion, one kind of people in this country over every other kind of people in this country.”

With family, friends and supporters at his side, amid the backdrop of the binational community of El Paso and Ciudad Juarez, O’Rourke said: “We must take the fight directly to the source of this problem, that person who has caused this pain and placed this country in this moment of peril. And that is Donald Trump.”
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/electio ... -americans

I don't think that will win him the nomination, but I do think it's a strong stance against Trump that will benefit the nominee.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 am

ty, Lani.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:39 am

:thumbs:

The Hill
O'Rourke unveils plan to combat white nationalism, gun violence ...

O'Rourke's plan unveiled Friday calls for the creation of a nationwide gun licensing system and registry, universal background checks for gun purchases and creating domestic terrorism offices in the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice and the FBI.

To combat gun violence, he also called for a gun buyback program, designating gun violence a public health emergency and implementing a federal "red flag law" that would allow law enforcement to seize weapons from those deemed dangerous in court.

The plan also aims to "block terrorist content online" and require large social media platforms to "create systems designed to remove hateful" activity.

O'Rourke in a statement on the plan blamed the El Paso attack on the rhetoric of President Trump, whom he has previously called a white supremacist.

"The terrorist attack on El Paso, fueled by the racist rhetoric of Donald Trump, was not only an attack on America, but an attack on the aspirational ideals of this nation," he said. "Congress' failure to act has resulted in a democracy that is unwilling to confront an epidemic of gun violence."

"It's time for those in positions of public trust to stand up, tell the truth and offer bold solutions without fear of political ramifications so we can finally start making progress and saving lives," he added.

Return to “Presidential Election”