Breaking the back of the right-wing propaganda networks

DmitriNotPetra

Breaking the back of the right-wing propaganda networks

Post by DmitriNotPetra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Today is a good day for me, or at least the start of a good day. I originally became interested in the Bundy saga back in 2014 during the first standoff, what caught my eye about it was as a Twitter user, I noticed a virtual army of bots repeating the same tweets over and over, hundreds of them. Things like "It is getting real at the Bundy ranch... where ta (sic) hell is the Sheriff," and unfortunately I didn't realize I was watching what I believe was test grounds for using algorithms and zombie accounts and sites to spread propaganda. It got worse and worse, until we arrive at today, when I would estimate 80-90% of Trump and GOP supporters repeat the same few talking points when discussing politics on social media. These talking points change, but as soon as they are put out, you will have thousands and thousands of people repeating them, almost verbatim.
For instance, when Roseanne was canceled, a virtual army of people repeated the same talking points about "The View," they were biased, they criticized Pence's beliefs, etc. I was able to trace that one back to single right-wing blog site.
Twitter took steps to crack down on bot networks, but Facebook was clueless, but it looks like they're starting to put it together. A single right-wing blogger, with a hundred zombie Facebook pages with titles like "Reverb News" and such, can spread misinformation to thousands of people, who will, in turn, repeat that information to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. The people who latch on to these stories tend to people of poor reading ability, who still want to sound educated about current events, and they are given the means to do so, at least on the surface. Hopefully this is the start of social media cracking down on the source of so many frustrating lies and conspiracies being spread, and it is bad news for our beloved poots, who got a good chunk of change by these zombie sites directing people to give them donations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... c6809b0eb7

Return to “General Politics”