Jamal Khashoggi murder... will it ensnare Trump?

Dan1100

Re: Jamal Khashoggi murder... will it ensnare Trump?

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 pm
Has anyone determined definitively if he's a US citizen or not?
Per reasonably dependable twitter journalists, he was a Permanent Resident (had a Green Card) and had applied for citizenship.

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 pm

DmitriNotPetra wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 am
The Jamal Khashoggi situation came out of left field. Given Kushner's dealings with the Saudis, I can imagine that this may drag him or another administration official in the whole mess. At its very basic, when you go around calling reporters from the Washington Post "Enemies of the people," and then one of those reporters ends up murdered and dismembered, well, it just looks bad. Thoughts?

Also, not I actually think there's any connection, but there is this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 56956.html
IMO Kushner is in it up to MbS' pocket. He allegedly gave him the list of the "disloyal" who ended up imprisoned at the Riyadh Ritz.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:47 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Per reasonably dependable twitter journalists, he was a Permanent Resident (had a Green Card) and had applied for citizenship.
Thanks.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I believe he's a resident, but not a citizen.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm

And Diaper Don/Traitor Tot jumps into the fray.
Don Jr. promoted a smear tying Jamal Khashoggi to Osama bin Laden, according to The Daily Beast, retweeting a series of tweets meant to imply that Khashoggi supported Islamic terrorism.

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:26 pm

He was wearing an Apple Watch linked to his iPhone set to record.... so says the Turks news paper.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:26 pm
He was wearing an Apple Watch linked to his iPhone set to record.... so says the Turks news paper.
Reasonable cover for bugging an embassy.

Wikipedia says Jamal is the nephew of Adnan Khashoggi and cousin to Dodi Fayad. So there’s plenty of conspiracy fodder to go around.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm
Sluffy1 wrote:
Reasonable cover for bugging an embassy.

Wikipedia says Jamal is the nephew of Adnan Khashoggi and cousin to Dodi Fayad. So there’s plenty of conspiracy fodder to go around.
I thought the surname was familiar.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 am

Trump: More At Stake Over Jamal Khashoggi Disappearance Because He's A Reporter
HuffPost Lee Moran,HuffPost
President Donald Trump has warned there will be punishment if Saudi Arabia is discovered to be responsible for the disappearance and possible death of journalist and U.S. resident Jamal Khashoggi.
But since that $110 billion arms deal would disrupt our economy, Trump is gonna punish them by not letting any of them have tee times before 2:00 PM at any Trump Propertiess, along with a loss of the "despot discount'' they get in the Pro Shop.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:
Linky? Did I miss a link?

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 pm

The Saudis didn't need Trump in the White House (or anywhere) in order to kill Khashoggi. They were already much experienced in killing journalists and other boat-rockers when Trump threw his hat into the ring.

The simple fact is that it's the Crown Prince who can shoot someone in broad daylight on Fifth Avenue and get away with it. That's because, decades ago, the Saudis became so heavily invested in Wall Street, and stashed so much money in American banks, that, if not sufficiently indulged, they will pull all that money out, suddenly, and send the entire US economy into a tailspin. They even had a deal, made with the Nixon Administration, that the US govt will keep the amount or magnitude of Saudi investment a deep dark secret -- a secret that actually survived a lawsuit intended to drag this information into the light. A 1981 Jane Fonda movie, Rollover, dramatized the chaos that would ensue if the Saudis became hostile enough to yank their assets out. Prosecuting the Crown Prince for shooting someone would probably get that result. Making waves over the death of one more troublesome news reporter is also a maybe. No American President - not Trump, not Obama, not Bush - would dare squeeze the Saudis about this.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 pm
. That's because, decades ago, the Saudis became so heavily invested in Wall Street, and stashed so much money in American banks, that, if not sufficiently indulged, they will pull all that money out, suddenly, and send the entire US economy into a tailspin. They even had a deal, made with the Nixon Administration, that the US govt will keep the amount or magnitude of Saudi investment a deep dark secret -- a secret that actually survived a lawsuit intended to drag this information into the light. A 1981 Jane Fonda movie, Rollover, dramatized the chaos that would ensue if the Saudis became hostile enough to yank their assets out. Prosecuting the Crown Prince for shooting someone would probably get that result. Making waves over the death of one more troublesome news reporter is also a maybe. No American President - not Trump, not Obama, not Bush - would dare squeeze the Saudis about this.
Though I imagine there are some people running the calculations for the nuclear option of simply seizing the assets.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:16 pm

It appears to me that Turkey is taking advantage of this situation, by choosing this fortuitous time to free an American preacher from its prison, and, almost simultaneously, exposing the evidence that the Saudis murdered Khashoggi. The Turks have plenty of reputation for oppressing journalists and so forth, but this presented a golden opportunity to make someone else look worse.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 pm
That's because, decades ago, the Saudis became so heavily invested in Wall Street, and stashed so much money in American banks, that, if not sufficiently indulged, they will pull all that money out, suddenly, and send the entire US economy into a tailspin. They even had a deal, made with the Nixon Administration, that the US govt will keep the amount or magnitude of Saudi investment a deep dark secret -- a secret that actually survived a lawsuit intended to drag this information into the light.
Very interesting. I had never heard this but here is a nice short article that explains it...
https://citizentruth.org/the-secret-dea ... ationship/

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:16 pm
It appears to me that Turkey is taking advantage of this situation, by choosing this fortuitous time to free an American preacher from its prison, and, almost simultaneously, exposing the evidence that the Saudis murdered Khashoggi. The Turks have plenty of reputation for oppressing journalists and so forth, but this presented a golden opportunity to make someone else look worse.
Of course Turkey is being accused of doing Qatar's bidding.
Qatar gifts Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdogan $400 million luxury jet

The Emir of Qatar has given one of the world’s largest and most expensive private jets to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani presented the Boeing 747-8, worth an estimated $400 million (Dh1.47 billion), as a symbol of “Thani’s special love for Erdogan,” according to Turkey’s state-run broadcaster TRT.

The jet, which landed at Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen airport from France on Thursday, previously served in Qatar’s VIP Amiri Flight fleet, which caters exclusively to the royal family of Qatar and other high-ranking government staff.
I have read some interesting speculation that Turkey will use the incident to squeeze SA for cash, thus the 'joint working group' and ultimately the incident will be swept aside.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:14 am

One would think this is true...

Josh Rogin

@joshrogin
14h14 hours ago
More
Arms sales are OUR leverage against them, not THEIR leverage against US. #SaudiArabia cc: @realDonaldTrump
Indeed, since apparently this deal doesn't even really exist yet...

Josh Rogin

@joshrogin
8h8 hours ago
More Josh Rogin Retweeted John Hudson
Especially because most of it doesn’t really exist. Giving up leverage you won’t admit you don’t have for the wrong reasons. #winning

ETA: Even ZeroHedge isn't calling this some kinda false flag counter-ops. They point to how maybe the Saudis will claim it was a rendition gone bad to at least deflect some of the criticism (?), most likely trying to paint him as some Muslim Brotherhood agent...

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:29 am

Wow...

Ragıp Soylu

@ragipsoylu

BREAKING — Saudi Arabia threatens Trump with economic sanctions following his remarks on #Khashoggi incident which mentioned about “severe punishment” against Saudi officials
Saudi official source: “Our economy is influential and any action against the kingdom will be responded to with greater reaction” — Al Arabiya

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 am

No American President - not Trump, not Obama, not Bush - would dare squeeze the Saudis about this.
Or even this:
The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with al-Qaeda. 15 of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Saudi media is putting citizens on notice as Khashoggi crisis grows: “Sharing or spreading rumors or fake news that might affect public order and security is considered cybercrime punishable by 5-year imprisonment and SR 3 million fine”

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:18 pm

And if your head happens to fall off during your imprisonment, well, we can't be held accountable.

ImageImageImage x4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm
https:// twitter.com/BazziNYU/status/1051553723468718080
Saudi media is putting citizens on notice as Khashoggi crisis grows: “Sharing or spreading rumors or fake news that might affect public order and security is considered cybercrime punishable by 5-year imprisonment and SR 3 million fine”
Nice pretext to close down the internet.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:14 pm

It seems our allies have backbones.
U.K./France/Germany joint statement: "There needs to be a credible investigation to establish the truth about what happened, and — if relevant — to identify those bearing responsibility for the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, and ensure that they are held to account."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 pm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 pm
https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/ ... 84?v=raila&

John Brennan on Meet the Press.
:like: very interesting interview!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:55 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm
Kendra wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 pm
https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/ ... 84?v=raila&

John Brennan on Meet the Press.
Agreed.

Return to “Current Events”