Air Force One

Gregg

Air Force One

Post by Gregg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 am

Trump wants to redesign the most recognizable aircraft in history, to make it 'More American".

Trump thinks the blue adorning the presidential jet is a “Jackie Kennedy color” and wants the next iteration to instead feature red, white and blue. So, newest poll is...
What Trump thinks we need to make AF1 "more American" and featuring Red, White and Blue

a) Feature a Confederate Flag

b) More gold leaf and Louis XVI furnishings

c) Portrait of Trump 12 feet high in place of the Presidential Seal

d) One Word :Swastikas

e) More Cowbell

f) "TRUMP" in big tacky letters, followed by a slogan, "MAGA" or "Fuck Your Feelings!"

g) For tour tickets, see Mar a Lago, fee $200,000 made out to Donald J Trump or Cash

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

kate520

Re: Air Force One

Post by kate520 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 am

I vote for b, c and e.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 am

He also wants a better bed.

Say, is that why Pruitt was shopping for a mattress?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 am

Didn't Trump make a big stink about redoing the contract with Boeing for the new planes?

Now he's tacking on change orders?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:17 am

Am I misremembering or didn't they replace AF1 not that long ago? I know they've replaced the limos.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 am

How many think Trump should take up cycling to his gigs? Work some of that 239 pounds off?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:17 am
Am I misremembering or didn't they replace AF1 not that long ago? I know they've replaced the limos.
IIRC they refurbished some parts like freezers to take on sufficient hamburgers to his highflying highness of the skies (and as emergency munch for the flying staff of AF1).

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:04 pm

He wants it easier to shoot down.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:17 am
IIRC they refurbished some parts like freezers to take on sufficient hamburgers to his highflying highness of the skies (and as emergency munch for the flying staff of AF1).
The planes were ordered and built during Reagan. Reagan never flew on them, they weren’t finished by the time he left office.

They are not ‘old’ in airplane terms. They may have many calendar days behind them, but a plane’s ‘age’ is determined by flight cycles & hours. By that measure they are youngsters when compared to other 747s.

The replacement ‘fridges order, $27 million, has been shelved.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 pm

The pretend redneck with pretend republican values wants it to not be blue. Also, too, Preaident Obama is taller than Trump and never needed a bigger bed.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Yeah, but Obama didn’t need room for three underage Russian pee hookers.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm

The current pair of 747's that serve as AF1 were delivered to the USAF in 1990.

The paint scheme was designed by Raymond Lowey, the famous industrial designer. I believe it was first applied to the 707 AF1 that Kennedy used. But, it was not Jackie Kennedy who came up with the colors.

Trump has claimed that he, personally, shaved $1.5B off the price of the new planes, which are scheduled to be delivered early in 2021.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:54 pm

noblepa wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm

The paint scheme was designed by Raymond Lowey, the famous industrial designer. I believe it was first applied to the 707 AF1 that Kennedy used. But, it was not Jackie Kennedy who came up with the colors.

Trump has claimed that he, personally, shaved $1.5B off the price of the new planes, which are scheduled to be delivered early in 2021.
He went shopping at ValueVillage, bought 2 planes ordered by an airline that went TU before they were delivered.

The planes were sitting in the desert with huge FOR SALE, All Offers Considered signs on them.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 am

To give you an idea of how "old" AF1 is, I saw a story today that Delta's "average" airliner is 17 years old, and those are planes that typically go through 3-5 "cylces" (one takeoff-'pressurization-landing) a day, 7 days a week.

By those standards, AF1 isn't even broken in yet.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 am

Gregg wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 am
To give you an idea of how "old" AF1 is, I saw a story today that Delta's "average" airliner is 17 years old, and those are planes that typically go through 3-5 "cylces" (one takeoff-'pressurization-landing) a day, 7 days a week.

By those standards, AF1 isn't even broken in yet.
GG would know. I think he wrangles even older planes than AF1, and with a lot more cycles.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Art of the Bum Deal: Donald Trump has managed to increase the cost of Air Force One by $1 billion
Mark Sumner  
Daily Kos Staff
Wednesday July 18, 2018 · 1:26 PM EDT

Donald Trump’s vaunted deal-making skills haven’t saved jobs at Carrier, or at Ford. He hasn’t convinced North Korea to surrender so much as a slingshot, despite giving up one of America’s biggest bargaining chips. And when it comes to Russia … to be fair, that wasn’t as much bargaining as begging, so maybe it shouldn’t count.
But how has Trump done on something with Real Numbers in it? Something where Trump bragged about his intervention even before taking office? Here’s Trump one year before moving to DC, going after the cost of creating a new version of Air Force One.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order!
9:52 AM - Dec 6, 2016

However, the true cost of two new Air Force One planes, was budgeted at $2.87 billion. Though some estimates put the total at $3.73 billion by the time of completion in 2026, that still didn’t put it to the number Trump was throwing around. But Trump was okay with that. According to him, “Boeing is doing a little bit of a number” and trying to make too much money off the contract. But Trump would show them who was boss.

Even before he sat down in the Oval Office, Trump claimed that he had been on the phone with Boeing and chopped down that big number. It was a claim he repeated several times in his first few months in office—his go-to example of his negotiating skills.

Trump: We've got that price down by over $1 billion and I probably haven't spoken for more than an hour on the project,
However, within a few weeks, the White House website had chopped Trump savings from “over a billion” to “millions.” And now, Donald Trump has completed his negotiations, coming up with a new price of … $3.9 billion. That’s right. After two years of negotiation, Donald Trump’s price is a billion dollars higher than where he started. No wonder everyone loves to negotiate with Trump.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/7 ... -1-billion

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm

noblepa wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Hopefully he'll be out of office by then.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:30 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 pm
Art of the Bum Deal: Donald Trump has managed to increase the cost of Air Force One by $1 billion
Mark Sumner  
Daily Kos Staff
Wednesday July 18, 2018 · 1:26 PM EDT

Donald Trump’s vaunted deal-making skills haven’t saved jobs at Carrier, or at Ford. He hasn’t convinced North Korea to surrender so much as a slingshot, despite giving up one of America’s biggest bargaining chips. And when it comes to Russia … to be fair, that wasn’t as much bargaining as begging, so maybe it shouldn’t count.
But how has Trump done on something with Real Numbers in it? Something where Trump bragged about his intervention even before taking office? Here’s Trump one year before moving to DC, going after the cost of creating a new version of Air Force One.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order!
9:52 AM - Dec 6, 2016

However, the true cost of two new Air Force One planes, was budgeted at $2.87 billion. Though some estimates put the total at $3.73 billion by the time of completion in 2026, that still didn’t put it to the number Trump was throwing around. But Trump was okay with that. According to him, “Boeing is doing a little bit of a number” and trying to make too much money off the contract. But Trump would show them who was boss.

Even before he sat down in the Oval Office, Trump claimed that he had been on the phone with Boeing and chopped down that big number. It was a claim he repeated several times in his first few months in office—his go-to example of his negotiating skills.

Trump: We've got that price down by over $1 billion and I probably haven't spoken for more than an hour on the project,
However, within a few weeks, the White House website had chopped Trump savings from “over a billion” to “millions.” And now, Donald Trump has completed his negotiations, coming up with a new price of … $3.9 billion. That’s right. After two years of negotiation, Donald Trump’s price is a billion dollars higher than where he started. No wonder everyone loves to negotiate with Trump.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/7 ... -1-billion
That's all part of his negotiating strategy, doncha no? He'll let them build them, thinking they're going to get $3.9B and then, after delivery, he'll offer them $1.5B and say "Take it or leave it", just like he did with building contractors on his real estate projects.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:56 pm

DailyKos wrote:Maybe the new, higher price for Air Force One reflects the feature Trump needed most—a golden escalator.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 pm

He bought them used off the "rework" pile. And only paid an extra billion!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 pm

What has Trump done that cost a billion? Changing the color of seats to that ugly yellow now in the Oval Office should not be that expensive.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 pm
What has Trump done that cost a billion? Changing the color of seats to that ugly yellow now in the Oval Office should not be that expensive.
"Real Gold" all over ...

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 am

Basiclly, he negotiated the deal, instead of letting the Air Force do it by normal procedure. Boeing saw a sucker and tacked on an asshole customer charge.

Return to “Trump Administration”