Trump's 7th Foreign Trip - NATO, UK, Putin - July 2018

TollandRCR

Re: Trump's 7th Foreign Trip - NATO, UK, Putin - July 2018

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Friday the 13th may not be an auspicioud time for Trump in Europe. There is probably a deficiency of McDonalds to boot.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm
Friday the 13th may not be an auspicioud time for Trump in Europe. There is probably a deficiency of McDonalds to boot.
There are many McDonald's in Europe. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Will the Trump ever learn of the British protests of his very presence on the sacred isles? The physics of his isolation me think that Scotland is our best hope. Maybe then he can see himself as a blimp.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm

I am grateful that I don't have kids. But, I have many friends who have kids. I am so sorry. I am truly concerned for the world they will be living in. From climate change to destruction of democracies the world over, I fear what kind of world we are leaving for my friends' kids. :crying: :crying: :crying:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Press conference with the UK host

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm

He did take CNN questions in Brussles. Another lie.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Some unsolicited advice for the Honeymoon in Helsinki:

Wear a condom.

Same advice for Trump.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:00 pm

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:11 pm

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 am

If only she had thwacked him upside the head with her hand bag...

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:02 am

:lol: :lol:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:04 am

I looked up photos of the Obamas with the royal family. :lovestruck: :crying: All smiles and warmth. The queen and Michelle with their arms on each other's back. Meeting Will and Kate and their baby boy. Everyone happy and relaxed.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 am

No Charles. No Camilla. No William or Kate. No Harry or Meghan. They were probably protesting incognito.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:48 am

RVInit wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm
I am grateful that I don't have kids. But, I have many friends who have kids. I am so sorry. I am truly concerned for the world they will be living in. From climate change to destruction of democracies the world over, I fear what kind of world we are leaving for my friends' kids. :crying: :crying: :crying:
A little while back I posted in the drunk room or whatever it's called not because I was drunk, but because I wanted a quiet place to express my sadness about having "the talk" with my adult child about leaving the US. Said young adult isn't leaving the US, but has decided to head to the mainland to organize field campaigns for 11/18. I'm very proud of that decision, but also frightened. When I was in my 20's and very active in civil rights, I had police protection for a time because of threats. It wasn't comfortable, but I was single with no children, so I wasn't putting others in danger. At the time, I'd met so many people who put everything on line, I thought who was I to whine about threats. But now the next generaton takes over. I have fears, but I must let go - whatever may come.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 am

SLQ wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 am
No Charles. No Camilla. No William or Kate. No Harry or Meghan. They were probably protesting incognito.
Didn’t even rate Prince Philip.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 am
SLQ wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 am
Didn’t even rate Prince Philip.
Prince Philip has officially retired from public duties.

:twisted: did he fear the possibility of running into the baby balloon :?:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 am

What is the protocol for royal family members to attend a function like this for visiting dignitaries? Do one or two normally attend? I get that Prince Phillip has retired from attending public functions, but is the others not attending kind of a snub?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:18 am

Trump got more respect than he deserves. He is our elected Hitler. Or he wants to be. The British may be better able to discern who Trump is. It helps to having fought to your life.

Blenheim Palace is too good for Trump. I do wish somebody bad generates or moves a second blimp to Scotland. He must see the baby Trump. It might make him more needy for Putin, however.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:18 am
I do wish somebody bad generates or moves a second blimp to Scotland. He must see the baby Trump.
Giant balloon set to take to Scotland skies to mock Trump during stay
The “Trump Baby” blimp that took to the skies over London, U.K. during President Donald Trump’s visit to the country is about to take flight again in Scotland as the president stays at his Turnburry golf course while protests continue to follow him during his Europe trip.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am

I think Queen Elizabeth did the absolute bare minimum when she received twitler and the wife. Wise choice. He got more than he deserved. I hope he's aware of the welcome that the Obamas received when they met the Queen (and the rest of the family). I still cannot get over making the queen wait for him. That would be rude to do to any elderly lady.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am
I think Queen Elizabeth did the absolute bare minimum when she received twitler and the wife. Wise choice. He got more than he deserved. I hope he's aware of the welcome that the Obamas received when they met the Queen (and the rest of the family). I still cannot get over making the queen wait for him. That would be rude to do to any elderly lady.
I've seen multiple reports that he wasn't late, she was early.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am
I guess there will be no big state visit in the near future, no ride in a golden coach with the Horse Guards to Buckingham Palace for dotus :)

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm

I put some background articles about the Trump/Putin "summit" in the Russia thread, but here is another:
“An Amateur Boxer Up Against Muhammad Ali”: Washington Fears Trump Will Be No Match for Putin in Helsinki
Beyond the allure of aggrandizement and President Trump’s affinity for the Russian strongman, why the meeting is taking place now remains a mystery. Is the purpose to discuss arms control? Syria? Ukraine? To rehash the 2016 election? Remarkably, it’s not clear, and that in and of itself marks this as a most unusual summit.
Expect more whiplash when Trump arrives in Helsinki for the Putin meeting, a potential debacle very much of the President’s own making. Trump himself proposed the summit in a March phone call with the Russian leader, and, after the Kim summit, the President ordered members of his staff to prepare the Putin meeting, which many of them wanted to avoid. “There’s no stopping him,” a senior Administration official told me in June. “He wants to have a meeting with Putin, so he’s going to have a meeting with Putin.” At the time, advisers still hoped to delay the summit, or at least to use the opportunity to produce a real, substantive policy agenda with proposals for Trump that actually reflect American foreign policy. It is now clear that they failed on both counts.

There is no agreed-upon substantive agenda for the meeting, as Trump himself confirmed on Thursday, and the session will take place only a couple weeks after the date was finalized. The sum total of the preparation was a single trip by Trump’s national-security adviser, John Bolton, to Moscow. He came out of the trip with none of the “deliverables” typically determined in advance of such high-level summits. (“The meeting is the deliverable,” the Russians apparently told Bolton.) Few details about the summit have been released by the White House, given Trump’s penchant for last-minute changes, but as of now it appears that it will be a four-hour affair (rather than the seven hours requested by the Kremlin), with a lengthy one-on-one between Trump and Putin first, followed by an expanded meeting to include Bolton, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and the U.S. Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman. Fiona Hill, the top National Security Council adviser for Russia, isn’t going to be in the meeting, though a White House official told me she was going to be on the ground in Finland, and even a talked-about preparatory session between Pompeo and the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, is not going to happen. According to current and former officials, Bolton’s N.S.C. has not had a single principals-level meeting to discuss Russia policy or the plans for the summit in advance of what will certainly be one of the most important sessions of Trump’s Presidency.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-f ... n-helsinki

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Return to “Trump Administration”