NY State v. Trump et al

Maybenaut

NY State v. Trump et al

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 am

NY State v. Trump:
The New York attorney general on Thursday filed suit against President Trump and his three eldest children alleging “persistently illegal conduct” at the president’s personal charity, saying Trump repeatedly misused the nonprofit — to pay off his businesses’ creditors, to decorate one of his golf clubs and to stage a multimillion dollar giveaway at his 2016 campaign events.

In the suit, filed Thursday morning, attorney general Barbara Underwood asked a state judge to dissolve the Donald J. Trump Foundation. She asked that its remaining $1 million in assets be distributed to other charities and that Trump be forced to pay at least $2.8 million in restitution and penalties.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e3b762ed77

Mikedunford

Re: NY State v. Trump et al

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:17 am

Just got to the airport hotel for my early return flight tomorrow. Not sure what pleased me more - seeing the news on two different French stations, or realizing that I'd successfully read the chyrons.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 am

I haven’t seen a copy of the lawsuit. I think it’s a civil action; I don’t think it’s criminal (basen on the remedy the State appears to be seeking). But it must gladden David Fahrenthold’s heart to see that all of his investigative reporting resulted in something more than “meh.”

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

She also sent referral letters to the acting commissioner of the IRS and Federal Election Commission.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Does a civil lawsuit against the Trump Foundation preclude a criminal prosecution later?

A man needs a reason to go shopping; a woman just needs a place. - much ado
(prompted by daughter ado's enthusiasm to visit a mall with no specific goal)

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:38 pm

much ado wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 pm
Does a civil lawsuit against the Trump Foundation preclude a criminal prosecution later?
Not necessarily, but a judgment in favor of the foundations, its officers, etc., would (if not legally, at least for all practical purposes).

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, well, Brad Parscale Imagine that… And Trump using his personal charity to rip off Veterans! Aren’t most of his supporters struggling Veterans? Wonder who they'll be pissed at for this, Trump for ripping them off, or at those lying democrats who make fake shit up?
:brickwallsmall:
Still reading…

Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Trump supporters will never even hear this story. They watch Fox and Fox will not report anything about the Trump "Foundation". If they overhear anyone talking about it, they will roll their eyes and declare it is fake news.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm
Trump supporters will never even hear this story. They watch Fox and Fox will not report anything about the Trump "Foundation". If they overhear anyone talking about it, they will roll their eyes and declare it is fake news.
K. I had to go look....
Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 3.46.01 PM.png
Every story is about this... Not a word so far about NY that I can see
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 pm
RVInit wrote:
K. I had to go look....

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 3.46.01 PM.png

Every story is about this... Not a word so far about NY that I can see
Up until 2-3 weeks ago I was doing contract work for a company not far from where I live. I worked from home most of the time, but there were times when I worked from their office, sometimes for a couple of weeks at a stretch. Their break room TV set was installed into the wall in such a manner as to make it impossible to manually change the channel. The remote control was kept in the HR department. The HR department tuned that TV permanently in to Faux "news". I got first hand knowledge of the difference between Faux and virtually every single other news station. They do not report anything - and I mean anything - about the Trump maladministration that is negative in any way. It is Trump propaganda all day long. Trump is personally responsible for saving the USA, which had a totally failing economy, totally failing health care, totally failing everything prior to Trump's inauguration. Trump has fixed every single problem in the USA, yada yada yada. It is utter and complete unbelievable nonsense they are spewing 24/7. Trump WILL be reelected. His voters are living in an entirely different reality than the rest of us. So far at least two staunchly conservative pundits have very publicly announced they will no longer appear on Faux - the most recent one (can't remember his name) gave an interview on Anderson Cooper where he said that Faux has become absolutely and completely nothing more than Trump propaganda. And he is right. That is exactly what it has become. Which is why Trump voters have no idea on earth about how badly Trump is performing as president. And why they will gladly vote for him again.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:52 pm

RVInit wrote:
I found myself stuck in a waiting room with Faux and it was 95% IG report that COMEY WAS CROOKED! The 60 seconds spent on the NY lawsuit mostly centered on DISGRACED AG SCHNEIDERMAN and his cronies. One gentleman did try to point out that Schneiderman was gone and this was filed by Underwood BUT NO MATTER! IT'S ALL SCHNEIDERMAN!

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:04 pm

I’m not defending Scneiderman, it’s clear he was doing something he shouldna, but...

Trump hinted long before Schneiderman was j’accused that he had something on ES. Did trump’s gang pull the trigger on him as this investigation was nearing its close out of revenge, out of pure personal animus, out of spite? I’m sure trump knew or was told that getting rid of ES wouldn't completely derail it. He couldn’t help himself, his pathological personality wanted to pound on Scneiderman JUST because now he has the power and he can.

trump has gotten away with so much for so long, he has no reason to think he’ll be busted for anything he does or has done. And now he mostly has the power to assure that. He thinks. :mrgreen:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Off Topic
At my last visit to my urologist, I noticed that the TV was off.
I am pretty good friends with my doc (one of 5 in the practice) so I asked him about this.

He said that whenever there was something other than Fox on the TV, some loud-mouthed elderly patient would complain. Even if it was Animal Planet. So they decided to just turn it off.

You can't go on
Thinking nothing's wrong
Who's gonna drive you home
Tonight

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Question for the campaign finance folks re: this and Summer Zervos case. Aside from representing the President on the issues of whether or not a sitting President can be sued civilly and whether or not discovery can be taken of a sitting President, it seems to me that neither White House counsel, the DOJ or any campaign moneys can be used to represent the President, especially if most, or all, of the actions in question were taken before he was sworn in or were taken in his personal capacity. If so, Trump is going to quickly learn, ala Michael Cohen, just how expensive litigation is. Also, too, I see no basis for any taxpayer money being used to defend Qusay, Uday or the Daughter of the Corn. And unlike their usual ability to browbeat, scare and outlast their legal opponents, I don't see that happening in these two cases.

Thoughts?

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm
Their break room TV set was installed into the wall in such a manner as to make it impossible to manually change the channel. The remote control was kept in the HR department. The HR department tuned that TV permanently in to Faux "news".
I would have brought in a universal remote

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm

WaPo - Paul Waldman
The Trump Foundation was one big scam, according to the New York attorney general. What a shock. ...

There are two levels of context one needs to understand this lawsuit. The first level is that much of what we’ve learned about the Trump Foundation suggests that it was basically a scam, a way for Trump to make shady contributions, pay his debts with other people’s money and do things such as buy a gigantic painting of himself.

For instance, Trump had to pay a fine when it was discovered that the foundation made an illegal $25,000 contribution to a political group connected to Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, who just happened to be deciding at the time whether to pursue a fraud investigation into Trump University, which she most agreeably decided not to do. Not only was the contribution itself illegal — charitable foundations aren’t allowed to donate to political groups — it was hidden when the foundation reported on its tax forms that the contribution had instead gone to a legitimate nonprofit in Kansas with a similar name, to which they had actually given no money. In other cases, the foundation was used to pay legal settlements for Trump himself.

The second level of context is that, in all this, the Trump Foundation isn’t much different from everything else Trump did during his business career. The only reason nobody knew what the Trump Foundation really was before Trump ran for president was that no one had bothered to look. Once they did, it immediately became apparent that, while it might do something legitimate here or there, at its core, the foundation looks a lot like a grift.

You might say the same about Trump’s entire business career. As I’ve argued before, Trump wasn’t just a guy who skated close to the line a time or two or broke a few rules. In fact, when you add up the questionable bankruptcies; the cons such as Trump University; the pyramid schemes; the contacts with mobsters; the exploitation of foreign workers; the Trump projects that have collapsed amid charges of double-dealing; the unusual interest Russian oligarchs have in using Trump properties as a vehicle for money laundering, and more, Donald Trump could well be the most corrupt major business figure in America. So why would anyone expect his foundation to be an above-board charity that does good work and would never run afoul of the law?

If I had to predict, at this point, I would guess that President Trump and his kids will try to settle this suit by paying a small fine. Though he claims “I won’t settle this case!” that’s what he said about the Trump University fraud lawsuit too, and he ended up paying a $25 million settlement to his victims. So while the Trump Foundation may not send the president to the slammer, this lawsuit will likely end up telling us a lot about who he is and how he operates.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:01 pm

¡Qué vergüenza!

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm

I doubt that the NY AG is interested in any settlement that doesn't (1) include a written admission of wrongdoing by Trump and the Children of the Corn, (2) provide that any walkback by the President is a violation of the settlement by Trump and his admission of wrongdoing may be used against him in a NYS criminal proceeding, (3) include a hefty penalty, to be paid by Trump personally, as well as reimbursements for all the bogus contributions the foundation made and (4) provide for all of the documents, e.g., the Foundation's files, to be make publicly available on the Net.

We all know that Trump was very fast and loose with the foundation's money and he has to know that AG Underwood has him by short hairs. I can't see any NY State Court granting Trump and the foundation a gag order forbidding public disclosure -- I think Trump is completely fucked here, which makes this a good day.

And, if I am right about not using campaign money, DOJ staff or any White House personnel to handle this, the first words of any competent counsel interviewing to represent him should be that they require a $250,000 evergreen retainer, which goes up to $500,000 if this goes to a trial. This also makes me happy.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm

The Foundation responds.

Gave away more than they had, but still have 1.7 million. Me not comprehend.
EF099F97-F80A-4B89-8477-DB1F8AE6A680.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 pm

They must not have read the same complaint I did. The complaint I read talked about using charitable donations to further the campaign. And it talked about the failure to hold any board meetings. And it talked about appointing officers without telling them.

But it’s all good, because there were little to no expenses. :roll:

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 pm

So, will the Trumps move for removal to Federal Court, and then say the Prez can’t be sued while in office?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 pm
They must not have read the same complaint I did. The complaint I read talked about using charitable donations to further the campaign. And it talked about the failure to hold any board meetings. And it talked about appointing officers without telling them.

But it’s all good, because there were little to no expenses. :roll:
:like:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 pm
So, will the Trumps move for removal to Federal Court, and then say the Prez can’t be sued while in office?
On what grounds? A New York non-for-profit Corp being sued by the State of New York over violation of New York charity law?

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Return to “The Resistance”