Suicide

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Suicide

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 185204.htm
One-third of US adults may unknowingly use medications that can cause depression Polypharmacy on the rise

A new study from University of Illinois at Chicago researchers suggests that more than one-third of U.S. adults may be using prescription medications that have the potential to cause depression or increase the risk of suicide, and that because these medications are common and often have nothing to do with depression, patients and health care providers may be unaware of the risk.

The researchers retrospectively analyzed medication use patterns of more than 26,000 adults from 2005 to 2014, which were collected as part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. They found that more than 200 commonly used prescription drugs -- including hormonal birth control medications, blood pressure and heart medications, proton pump inhibitors, antacids and painkillers -- have depression or suicide listed as potential side effects.

Published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the study is the first to demonstrate that these drugs were often used concurrently and that concurrent use, called polypharmacy, was associated with a greater likelihood of experiencing depression. Approximately 15 percent of adults who simultaneously used three or more of these medications experienced depression while taking the drugs, compared with just 5 percent for those not using any of the drugs, 7 percent for those using one medication and 9 percent for those taking two drugs simultaneously.

The researchers observed similar results for drugs that listed suicide as a potential side effect. These findings persisted when the researchers excluded anyone using psychotropic medications, considered an indicator of underlying depression unrelated to medication use.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RoadScholar

Re: Suicide: Why?

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Correlation doesn’t prove causation, eh?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 am

Some of us use medications to relieve Persistent Depressive Disorder. In my own case, I have three I take every day. And they're to stop me from suicidal ideation.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:57 pm

I am on Cymbalta to prevent fibromyalgia pain and depression.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:18 pm

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide rates have risen in all states except Nevada (where it is still higher than the national rate). Increases are seen across age, gender, race, and ethnicity categories. The suicide rate is rising fastest among women. More men still die by suicide than do women, but suicide rates for women have steadily climbed for the past decade.

North Dakota saw an increase of 57%. The suicide rate is highest in Montana.

Nearly 45,000 suicides occurred in the US in 2016. Guns are the most frequent method for suicide. Suicides of the young are especially concerning.

Suicides are believed to be under-reported.

Something is terribly wrong.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/sui ... n-cdc-says

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm not going to look for it now, but there was a recent story about one of the (North East?) states which tightened gun laws. When they did that, suicides decreased. Shooting oneself is awfully permanent.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Remarkably, a good deal of the medication I take, for heart disease, aches and pains, and even for depression, contain warnings that they might have a side-effect of suicidal thoughts. It's an effed-up world when anti-depressants can trigger suicides. I asked my doctor and there doesn't seem to be any medicine with a euphoriant side-effect, just the suicidal kind, dammit.

I'd give anything for a pill that makes me feel as if Obama got elected to a third term.

I suspect that - besides the gun culture and celebrity suicides and some other contributions to the rising levels of suicides - a contributing factor has been the very ancient practice, in most of the world's civilizations, to extol and memorialize and otherwise recite to children (and to others) the stories of people who did not die in bed, of people who died relatively young, the praiseworthy deaths of heroes or martyrs, not the miserable deaths of the elderly and feeble and bedridden. Even now, in the USA, widespread worship of the those killed in the hopeless, wasteful, no-win wars in Vietnam and Afghanistan, and, of course, of those who died in the World Trade Center, and of firemen and Coast Guardmen and other domestic heroes. This sends a shadow of shame over those who didn't volunteer for our volunteer army, or for those who served and came back without a chestful of hero's medals. An early death, like those being memorialized, has its compensations, while the prospect of surviving as a non-veteran coward into shameful old age has its terrible downside.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 pm

c.f “The good die young.”

(Always loathed that alleged nugget of wisdom.)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:40 am

When The Pill first came out I was in my late teens. At the urging of both my mother and boyfriend :shock: (but not in collusion :cantlook: I don’t think :? ) I tried it. It was new. It was strong. I gained 20 pounds in a month and cried about everything. It was awful. I spent the last three days in bed, unable to muster the energy to move. It was a dark month.

Then I ran out of pills and was too depressed to get more, et voila - day by day the fog lifted, I stopped crying, I was still 20 lbs heavier :roll: but it turned out to be mostly water. I never took them again. I only take BP meds because I had a stroke. I don’t like them but I do like living.

Several grandparents in my extended family seemed to be declining pretty quickly until their doctors did an elimination review of their meds and found conflicts.

Tsk. Nothing works in isolation, not meds, not chemicals (cough Scott Pruitt cough) in the environment.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

vic

Post by vic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:03 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Re: Suicide

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am
This is a broader topic than "why" alone so I changed the title. H/T to Sugar.

Return to “Science & Technology”