Total votes: 53

MN-Skeptic

Re: Poll On Trump Cancelling South Korea / US maneuvers

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 am

Chilidog wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am
How about this.

Trump v. Kim in a sumo wrestling match.

The winner gets to pull the pants off the loser.
Even better... shave the head of the loser.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 am
Chilidog wrote:
How about this.

Trump v. Kim in a sumo wrestling match.

Even better... shave the head of the loser.
Agreed. The last thing I want to see is Trump sans-pants.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm

ABC News

@ABC
"We haven't seen anything, we haven't heard anything," Pres. Trump says in Oval Office on recent developments ahead of North Korea summit. "We will see what happens." https://abcn.ws/2L8PXVY

11:24 AM - May 16, 2018
Well, when your only source of info is Fox News...............

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm

ABC News

@ABC
"We haven't seen anything, we haven't heard anything," Pres. Trump says in Oval Office on recent developments ahead of North Korea summit. "We will see what happens." https://abcn.ws/2L8PXVY

11:24 AM - May 16, 2018
This is why I am really hoping DPRK really did make the announcement via TV rather than official diplomatic correspondence. It would be an epic bit of trolling if they subjected the Trump administration to the same behavior other world leaders have gotten frustrated at Trump over.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... hn-bolton/?
Trump's Artful Dealmaking Will Save Him From His Own National Security Adviser, Apparently
John Bolton made a mess, and North Korea is threatening to leave the table.

WASHINGTON—At the beginning of the week, you may have noticed that the North Koreans, those irrepressible scamps, threatened to cancel the upcoming summit with our president*, which he was counting on to strengthen his administration* in preparation for May sweeps. The Norks decided that, no, denuclearization did not mean what the president* and his team thought it meant. (The brilliant geopolitical strategery of John Bolton seems to have played into this.)

You might conclude from this that, having gotten the validation of a summit agreement out of the United States, a solid win by any measure, the Norks had just played the president* for an all-day sucker. Ah, but you would be wrong, because Art of the Deal! From CNN:

Referring to the Libya comparison, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Wednesday that she hadn't "seen that as part of any discussions so I'm not aware that that's a model that we're using. "I haven't seen that that's a specific thing. I know that that comment was made. There's not a cookie cutter model on how this would work." She continued, "This is the President Trump model. He's going to run this the way he sees fit. We're 100% confident, as we've said many times before, as I'm sure you're all aware, he's the best negotiator and we're very confident on that front."

Are you aware of this? I’m certainly not aware of this. What I am aware of is that the president*’s dealmaking genius starts and ends with the bankruptcy code and Other People’s Money, neither of which has a demonstrated track record as a tactic in the field of arms control. I also am aware that the North Koreans, apparently, can see a mark coming from an entire ocean away.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Suranis wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 am
woodworker wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 am

Linky please.

Thanks much.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm

I'd like to put $2 down on NK/China using Trump pulling out of the Iran agreement as another excuse they'll use when they need it. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't use it to argue why they should be allowed to keep the nukes, the US can't be trusted to keep its word.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm

I can't see Trump's ego allowing him to cancel the maneuvers. No way does he want to look like he's giving in to Kim Jong Un.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm

With Mike Pompeo and John Bolton, more likely they'll increase the exercises. Reminds me of Donald's "Nobody knew healthcare would be so hard" routine. There's a reason everybody warned Donald that Bolton was a menace.

Still my fav Randy Rainbow, Buttons:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm

I don't see dotus ending the military maneuvers five days early. But the time from ending the maneuvers at the end of May until to the intended date of mid June for the meeting is rather short for diplomatic mellowing and coming to an initial agreement on whatever. Especially as N.Korea indicated that they are suspending the talks at the moment. And the great WH communicated that they hadn't heard about anything. Meaning to me that diplomacy has temporarily broken down. I predict that the US / N.Korea meeting will be moved up by a couple of months.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 am

It's already late May. How can you move a mid-June meeting up a couple of months? :confused:

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm

And I am not lending them my TARDIS (besides, it is in the shop preparing for a trip back to mid 2016, and no guesses why).

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Nobody wants to see that... *takes out the industrial-sized bottle of brain bleach*

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Off Topic
woodworker wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm
And I am not lending them my TARDIS (besides, it is in the shop preparing for a trip back to mid 2016, and no guesses why).
Well, woodworker, I actually have it. I'm jaunting ahead to July 2 to have my pastrami sammich early.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm

dunstvangeet wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm
Nobody wants to see that... *takes out the industrial-sized bottle of brain bleach*
Off Topic
Can you imagine the profits if someone actually got a brain bleach to market? Esp if it was OTC?

It isn't as far fetched as it sounds, there has actually been some promising research on memory erasing chemicals... they basically short circle the retrieve->store cycle, so you take a dose, focus on remembering something, and then you do not remember it anymore.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Off Topic
neeneko wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm
dunstvangeet wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm
Can you imagine the profits if someone actually got a brain bleach to market? Esp if it was OTC?

It isn't as far fetched as it sounds, there has actually been some promising research on memory erasing chemicals... they basically short circle the retrieve->store cycle, so you take a dose, focus on remembering something, and then you do not remember it anymore.
There is one current option that is OTC: booze. Alcohol interferes with protein synthesis, and enzymes (proteins!) are involved in memory formation. As you say, retrieving a memory usually requires writing it back again, so if it is retrieved but reformation is blocked, the memory is diminished or even lost. Same reason as one not being able to remember what happened on an excessively boozy evening out.

Getting drunk with friends and telling them all about it might be effective amateur treatment for mild PTSD or other hang-ups; it is, as you describe it, brain bleach.

This should not be interpreted as medical advice and might even be complete nonsense. You drink at your own risk!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri May 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 pm
Off Topic
There is one current option that is OTC: booze. Alcohol interferes with protein synthesis, and enzymes (proteins!) are involved in memory formation. As you say, retrieving a memory usually requires writing it back again, so if it is retrieved but reformation is blocked, the memory is diminished or even lost. Same reason as one not being able to remember what happened on an excessively boozy evening out.

Getting drunk with friends and telling them all about it might be effective amateur treatment for mild PTSD or other hang-ups; it is, as you describe it, brain bleach.

This should not be interpreted as medical advice and might even be complete nonsense. You drink at your own risk!
I'm sorry, what were you saying? 8-)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 pm

:rotflmao:

vic

Post by vic » Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 pm

And it looks like YES won:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-scrapp ... 1?mod=e2tw
U.S. Scrapped Training Exercise With South Korea Involving B-52s

South Korea expressed concern in advance of U.S.-North Korea summit, officials say
By Michael R. Gordon and Nancy A. Youssef

Updated May 18, 2018 7:20 p.m. ET

A planned training exercise involving U.S. B-52 bombers and South Korean planes was scrapped earlier this week after the South Korean government expressed concerns that it could generate tensions before the summit meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, according to U.S. officials.
:snippity:
That's all that's available without a subscription

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 am

Nope. That was S. Korea cancelling an exercise.
Clearly not the larger testicled US of A.

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am

Danraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 am
Hmmm...yeah, I wonder what exactly is going on...South Korea wants to bail but the US and Japan will go ahead with them?
US reportedly cancels B-52 bomber exercise with South Korea amid threats from North Korea
The U.S. reportedly canceled a B-52 bomber exercise with South Korea amid threats from North Korea, according to a WSJ report citing U.S. officials.
The news comes a day after the Pentagon said there were no plans to scale back the exercises.
The Pentagon and White House defended the ongoing joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises amid threats from North Korea to withdraw from upcoming talks with President Trump.

According to Friday's report, the officials said South Korea had asked to not participate in an air drill that also involved Japan and the U.S.

The White House referred CNBC's request for comment about the Journal report to the Pentagon, which said plans for a separate exercise is continuing as planned.

The news came a day after the Defense Department said the U.S. had no plans to scale back the exercises.

When asked if the U.S. Air Force B-52 Stratofortress, a long-range bomber capable of deploying nuclear weapons, was leaving the exercises, chief Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said Thursday that thescope of the exercises has not changed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/18/us-canc ... eport.html
Once again, President "We'll see what happens...we'll know because it's happening...But if doesn't happen, not good, maybe..." continues to let chaos write the script...

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am

Danraft wrote:

Last I heard the US was the only nation with B-52.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun May 20, 2018 11:21 am

woodworker wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am
Danraft wrote:

Last I heard the US was the only nation with B-52.
Yes, but the RoK is the country with the relevant airspace rights.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 am

Trump has been thoroughly pwned by Kim. First, Trump was all salivating for the summit with Kim, with visions of the Nobel Prize bouncing through his head day and night. Then Kim conned him into cancelling the the US-South Korea military exercises. Now Kim evidently wants a re-formulating of the goal of de-nuking of the Korean Peninsula (evidently not even US warship in the region would have nukes). Finally, having made Trump jump through all those hoops like a well-trained poodle, Kim is going to cancel the summit meeting altogether.

When I had a girl run me through paces like this and then blow off dates, I figured it was time to end the relationship.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 am

Next step will be for Kim to hereby demand the US terminate its own nuclear program and dismantle all its warheads before a meeting can take place.

Return to “General Politics”