Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

TexasFilly

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Just got off the phone with my son, I was recounting great Saturday afternoons eating steamers and drinking beer! :lovestruck:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 pm
Just got off the phone with my son, I was recounting great Saturday afternoons eating steamers and drinking beer! :lovestruck:
:thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:25 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 pm
:thumbs:
Steamers and beer. That should be the official meal of the North Fork. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

vic

Post by vic » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:16 pm

First you post about fireflies and get me nostalgic for evenings in Forest Park in Woodhaven, Queens where we lived around when I was 8 and 9.

Next you post about steamers, and get me nostalgic for the year and a half I spent in Cape Cod (my first job sent me to an AF radar site/command and control center in North Truro, and I lived in Chatham, except for the first summer, where I was in a motel in Provincetown).

Why do you hate me so much? :crying:

[Not to mention that this thread is about the North Fork. While I don't remember going there, my grandmother had a very large home (it had a ballroom!) in Northport, with a amall orchard of few dozen apple and pear trees, and we'd go in the autumn to pick apples and make applesauce.]

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 am

vic wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:16 pm
First you post about fireflies and get me nostalgic for evenings in Forest Park in Woodhaven, Queens where we lived around when I was 8 and 9.

Next you post about steamers, and get me nostalgic for the year and a half I spent in Cape Cod (my first job sent me to an AF radar site/command and control center in North Truro, and I lived in Chatham, except for the first summer, where I was in a motel in Provincetown).

Why do you hate me so much? :crying:

[Not to mention that this thread is about the North Fork. While I don't remember going there, my grandmother had a very large home (it had a ballroom!) in Northport, with a amall orchard of few dozen apple and pear trees, and we'd go in the autumn to pick apples and make applesauce.]
Er..........sorry?

;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 am

Sometime this Spring a large branch fell on our little cottage. It looks larger in person than it does in the photo.

At first we didn't think that it hit the house but inside we found that the books had been shaken off of a built-in bookcase. :o

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 pm

An owl! I haven't spotted it yet but it's very loud.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 pm

North Forkers really like their lawns. ;)

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/06/13/r ... rrigation/
Riverhead residents are being urged by town officials to make changes to their irrigation habits to conserve water this summer.

“On a typical hot summer day, the Riverhead Water District needs to pump up to 20 million gallons of water, using all 17 of the town’s wells,” the town said in a press release issued by the supervisor’s office yesterday.

An estimated 80 percent of the increased demand is for irrigation.

:snippity:

Most of the water district’s top users are high-density housing communities, where combined water usage for irrigation purposes alone has exceeded 80 million gallons from April to October, according to Riverhead Town records.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Speaking of large areas of lawn, the US Open (golf) is on this week on the South Fork. We have had two indirect encounters with it.

A son-in-law of our neighbor to the right is doing something there and his college age daughter and four of her friends are working for him there. The five young ladies are staying with our neighbor. Last night as I was trying to spot that owl they returned still wearing lanyards holding credentials of some kind. They seemed in high spirits and why not? A couple of weeks rent-free on the North Fork. Getting paid something while they do it. Probably meeting some interesting people.

Yesterday evening we and Mrs. V's cousin who lives down by the bay and her husband went with Mrs. V's cousin who lives on the circle to a local restaurant to celebrate the circle cousin's wife's birthday. It is early in the season here, the schools are still open, weather has been very cool, so we did not expect to find the restaurant nearly full on a Tuesday evening. Turns out a lot of the people there were involved with the US Open. With South Fork restaurants very very busy they had headed to the North Fork for dinner.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm

The North Fork labor shortage continues.

So, "seeking part time counter person, busperson and bartender" reads an ad placed today by the owner of our favorite local Italian restaurant. Those are 3 different people he is looking for.

Our landline phone is out of service at the moment for some reason. I called the phone company yesterday. They will have someone come out to look at the problem by 8PM on Friday. I hope they mean the Friday of this week. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:27 pm

The 2018 issue of Long Island Winepress magazine, the source for info about LI East End wineries, breweries, cideries and distilleries is out.

http://northforker.com/?s=Winepress&submit=Search

http://northforker.com/2018/04/19/long- ... ewsstands/

It lists 39 wineries with tasting rooms on the North Fork plus 7 or 8 more without such facilities, at least not yet. Additionally, there are three cideries, two distilleries and eight craft breweries.

Our little 4 square mile hamlet has 5 wineries and a brewery. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Riverhead Patch

@RiverheadPatch
Following Following @RiverheadPatch
More
Traffic Woes Addressed As First Round Of U.S. Open Nears

2:33 PM - 13 Jun 2018
Suffolk County, Southampton Town, and Southampton Village officials issued a joint statement on Wednesday, announcing transportation efforts being made by joint police operations to help mitigate travel difficulties "for the tens of thousands of attendees making their way to this iconic event each day."
Gale said she had to go from Lynn Avenue in Hampton Bays to Sag Harbor, and the trip took an hour and a half. Others have said trips that normally take minutes are lasting up to three hours. Some said the idea of leaving points east to head to Riverhead was pretty much unthinkable for the week.

According to Southampton Town Police Lt. Susan Ralph, traffic was heavier on Montauk Highway due to people avoiding Sunrise Highway.
The golf championship, which brought more than 550 jobs to the area, is anticipated to generate between $120 million to $130 million in economic impact for the region, Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said. The analysis, he said, is based on expected weekly attendance of more than 200,000 people, including players, fans, volunteers, vendors and media.
Why such a traffic problem? The Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is located east of the Shinnecock Canal. There are only two road bridges that cross the Canal, RT 27 and Rt 80, a total of only three lanes in each direction.

Making matters worse, most of the hotels and restaurants that will serve those 200,000 people are located west of the Canal.

Other travel options are limited, the LIRR runs a few trains that stop at the Southampton Station or you could charter a helicopter to East Hampton Airport. Or you could use a boat. ;)

Sadly, as we have already experienced, the golf crowds spill over onto the North Fork for hotels and restaurants.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:50 pm

The last remaining duck farm on Long Island of the hundreds that once existed is located here on the North Fork in the hamlet just west of us, Aquebogue. LI once provided most of the duck eaten in the USA. Now LI duck is a hyperlocal speciality.

Aquebogue is proud of its duck farming heritage and its now unique status. You will find local duck on the menu in Aquebogue restaurants that if they were located anywhere else would not have duck at all.

A new Mexican restaurant opened last year in Aquebogue. Mrs. V. and I tried it for lunch today. Today I ate my first duck taco. :-D Next time I will try the duck quesadillas. They also have duck nachos.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Ok, many things serious and terrible are happening all around the world.

Here on the North Fork the issues may not be as weighty but they capture our headlines. To wit-

Crackdown On Food Trucks At Wineries Sparks Fury
A livid contingent of winery representatives came to a special Southold Town board meeting demanding answers.

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/cr ... utm_slot=1
At a special town board meeting, when the issue of food trucks was raised — members of the wine industry voiced concerns over news that wineries with food trucks would be issued citations soon — Councilwoman Jill Doherty said the issue was not food trucks but instead, zoning, with food trucks, a retail use, not allowed on certain parcels zoned for agricultural or residential use.

Mike Falcetta, general manager of Sparkling Pointe Vineyard, said food trucks had been operating for years with no enforcement until now.

Councilman Bob Ghosio said there had been hot dog trucks in past years; Councilman Bill Ruland, the town board liaison to the town's agricultural advisory committee, said those were allowed.

In an email after the meeting, Ruland said, "Complaints from local food establishments prompted the surveying" of food trucks. He reminded that the town attorney had said no citations have been issued so far.
There have been wineries in the Town of Southold since the mid-1970's. Food truck cuisine has been growing in popularity all over Long Island for the last 25 years. Having a food truck at a winery or brewery is a kind of a natural symbiosis. Until now Southold Town had neither done nor said anything about it. So to the vintners this seems to come out of nowhere.

When asked how many complaints had been received one board member said about 6 and another board member said 1.

Southold has over 25 wineries that are a big part of its economy and tax base. I am thinking that the zoning laws will be amended.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:43 am

Caught up with our lawn/garden guy yesterday.

Due to lack of workers he and just one employee are doing all the lawns he has under contract this summer. :shock:

He is a co-owner of a plant greenhouse and garden shop in our hamlet located just 4 doors down from the 1731 Meeting House. It did not reopen this year. Turns out that they have been unable to get enough staff.

It is the same story everywhere here, farms, restaurants, landscapers, shops, etc. They can't find summer workers.

It is good that people already have jobs but small businesses are hurting for lack of workers.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 am

OK, got tomato and herb plants potted yesterday, several weeks later than usual but they are now done. :thumbs:

Today- get the bird feeders going. :) Also, catch up on the bills. :(

We are finally getting some warm weather. :-D

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Missed this NYT article which was published a month ago. Our little hamlet gets some mentions. :-D

The Ever Evolving North Fork

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/real ... -fork.html
That interest has also put more traffic on the roads, as day-trippers from the South Fork or farther west on Long Island come to visit the area’s many wineries and farm stands. And high-end restaurants and boutiques that were once found mainly in Greenport, the area’s largest town, are now appearing in smaller locales like Jamesport.
There are also new crops, like a lavender farm in East Marion, and offerings like corn mazes and pony rides when the weather cools. “Traffic from day-trippers is no longer just in the summer,” Mr. Russell said, adding that in the fall, when pumpkin picking is popular, “it chokes the only two roads in and out of town.”
Main Road Biscuit Company is another example of the area’s shifting personality. Specializing in its namesake buttery biscuits and artisanal granola, it opened one and a half years ago in the small hamlet of Jamesport. “You never used to think of Jamesport as a destination, but that’s increasingly changing,” said Marissa Drago, the restaurant’s proprietor, who moved from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, seven years ago.
We are becoming a destination!? :o Where will all those visitors park? ;)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:51 pm
Missed this NYT article which was published a month ago. Our little hamlet gets some mentions. :-D

The Ever Evolving North Fork

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/real ... -fork.html

We are becoming a destination!? :o Where will all those visitors park? ;)
Can't we park at your place? Foggy already sent the Volkonski Parking Sticker. :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Another North Fork article mentioning our hamlet. We will be overrun! :?

Exploring Long Island's North Fork wine country

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/north-fork-wine-country
We were pleased with all of our dinners: at the Bay Breeze Chop House and Jamesport Manor Inn in Jamesport, and Noah's in Greenport — all of which featured local seafood and produce.
What? They didn't eat at the Main Road Biscuit Company? I thought that was what was making us a destination. :confused:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:49 pm

No! More destinational events here!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwfood-w ... 8-20180530
New York Wine Events will host a duo of wine and food tasting events this summer on Long Island's East End presented by Citi. The 4th Annual North Fork Crush Wine & Artisanal Food Festival takes place Saturday, June 23 at Jamesport Vineyards in Jamesport, New York. The Summer Rosé & Bubbly Fest is the latest addition to New York Wine Events' tastings and will be held Saturday, July 28 at Palmer Vineyards in Riverhead, New York. Each event includes a choice of two sessions, Afternoon: 12-3pm or Evening: 4-7pm.
;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am

This weekend is the Mattituck Strawberry Festival so we are avoiding Sound Ave. and North Rd. where the normally bad weekend traffic is much worse than usual. :(

North Fork News Flash-

Strawberry Shortcake Eating Contest Winner: 22 Lbs., 8 Minutes
Records broken, history made in Mattituck: #2 competitive eater in the world wins strawberry shortcake eating contest.

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/st ... aign=alert
MATTITUCK, NY — History was made in Mattituck Saturday as Carmen Cincotti, the #2 competitive eater in the world, took home the title at the Mattituck Lions Club World Strawberry Shortcake Eating Championship after slamming back 22 lbs. of shortcake in a jaw-stretching, belly-busting eight minutes.

The competition, which took place at the 64th Annual Mattituck Lions Club Strawberry Festival, was back for the first time since 2008. The event was presented by Major League Eating, and featured a $3,500 total prize purse.

Geoffrey Esper, ranked #4 in the world of professional gurgitators, came in second , and Gideon Oji took the third place spot.
This year's Strawberry Queen and her court-

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:11 am

Trash compactor cell towers coming to Riverhead beaches
http://abc7ny.com/technology/trash-comp ... s/3535808/
RIVERHEAD, Long Island (WABC) -- Beachgoers in one Long Island town can expect to see less garbage and a lot more people on their cell phones.

Until now, cell service on South Jamesport and Iron Pier beaches in Riverhead has been spotty at best. Now, new trash compactors made by a Massachusetts company called BigBelly will be installed for free as part of a pilot program.

The compactors will have a 20-foot antenna to supply cell service for people nearby, and the garbage cans will even notify sanitation when they need to be emptied.
Good. So many people were avoiding the beaches because of poor cell phone service. ;)

http://bigbelly.com/solutions/city/

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:37 am

OMG, 22 lbs. of shortcake. My tummy hurts reading about it. :sick:

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:37 am
OMG, 22 lbs. of shortcake. My tummy hurts reading about it. :sick:
Well, not just shortcake, there were strawberries and whipped cream too. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Mrs. V. and I went out this afternoon for Father's Day to one of our favorite restaurants here that has been family owned and run since 1950.

The sons of the original owners run it now. One or the other of them is always there supervising, talking to customers, handling the cash register when it is busy, etc.

Today we saw something we have never seen before at this restaurant. The older brother was himself doing the cooking at the deep fryer. :o It was just him. They must be having trouble finding workers like everyone else on the North Fork.

I am not surprised that he knows how to do that. He was raised in that restaurant from a small boy. But in decades of going to that restaurant we have never seen an owner cooking, making cocktails, yes, but never cooking.

So, my soft-shelled crab today was cooked by the big man (makes me feel skinny) himself. :)

Return to “The Lounge”